Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Quarky
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 2 Post By Hatari

Thread: Hoi An/Danang

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Hoi An/Danang

Hi
    Just looking for advice from anyone whose been down these parts.

I'm going there Jan1 with Ao and my stepson and niece, both 17/18

We have 5 nights
    I booked the 1st 3 nights in Hoi An and figured the last 2 in Danang

But I've been looking at YouTube and can't get a good handle on Danang
    Has anyone been?

Is it a good place to stay for 2 days?
    Is there a centralized area with bars/restaurants/markets?

Or should we stay in Hoi An all 5 nights?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Hoi An is a good option for 5 days. Danang is OK but not worth the hassle for such little time there.
    HA is a popular little gem.
    Decent food and bar scene at Danang. Beach is good too.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 24th September 2017 at 07:02.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Danang has lots of nice bars and restaurants along the river, nice place to hang out at night. Other than that not a lot to do and 2 days will be more than enough time. there is a temple at the end of the beach up the mountain that has a great view over the city and along the coast.

I would recommend getting the train from Danang to Hue or Hoi an. (Or reverse.) The coat line along the train line is spectacular and its not a long trip.

Hoi an would have to be the best city in VN we did. Very romantic place, lots of food and little bars. they also have the 25c beers. We loved Hanoi but more so Hoi an. We did 3 nights could have easily staid longer.

Probs not a good idea knowing your history on motor bikes but we did one way on the train and the return on motor bike doing the Ho Chi min trail. Great experience on a bike.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Ok, while we are in this part of Vietnam, has anyone been to Nha Trang, is about halfway between HMC & Hoi An

I have looked at going before, and was going to fly into HMC and then train up from there to Nha Trang

So is this all off now? Along with Australia and SA? ..55

I think you should be more adventurous and start some travel threads on Aleppo, Mogadishu and North Korea... we know you'll never go, but will be interesting thread topics... 55
    Zablive, Nomad, OZZYGUY and 2 others like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post

I think you should be more adventurous and start some travel threads on Aleppo, Mogadishu and North Korea... we know you'll never go, but will be interesting thread topics... 55
    Well not off....just going in June/July when my nephew and his gf will be in Asia
    My niece and stepson couldn't take that much time off school as we thought for January.

So we will plan it with a weekend and everyone will go
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post

Mogadishu, there's a thought ... have you been there recently, what's the best part of the city to stay in for an American? Good hotels? what's the p4p scene like, best farang bars? Any idea on the beaches? Since al-Shabab terrorists shot the tourists at Lido beach, is it still the best one to stay at? Has the resort been renovated, looks below my 5-star requirements in the pic

Lido beach in Mogadishu: a symbol of the city’s renaissance and the target for Islamic militants
    Last edited by Hatari; 19th November 2017 at 05:36.
    Quarky and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Mogadishu, there's a thought ... have you been there recently, what's the best part of the city to stay in for an American? Good hotels? what's the p4p scene like, best farang bars? Any idea on the beaches? Since al-Shabab terrorists shot the tourists at Lido beach, is it still the best one to stay at? Has the resort been renovated, looks below my 5-star requirements in the pic

Lido beach in Mogadishu: a symbol of the city’s renaissance and the target for Islamic militants
    Check out pirate bay!

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Check out pirate bay!
    Is that a nightclub? What dress standard applies, I wouldn't want to overdress among the locals, rather I'd prefer to blend in

Can you suggest a good restaurant near this Pirate Bay, any menu recommendations, what is the best local dish?

Last edited by Hatari; 19th November 2017 at 07:09.