• 5 Post By bacwaan
  • 2 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 4 Post By Bacon

Thread: Lombok: A Samui-esque Alternative to Bali

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar

Lombok: A Samui-esque Alternative to Bali

Lombok looks effing mint!

This guy spends 3 minutes whinging about Bali(not that I disagree with him much), so start the video from 3:00.

A pretty incredible and pristine place, and the road he films his scooter ride on looks awesome.

sidvicious, OZZYGUY and Stillearly like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Lombok's tourism a tad fecked by recent quake. May still be better than Kuta/Sanur etc which IMHO sucked big time compared with Phuket or Samui.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Well edited video put together with a combination of cameras. It sort of reminds me of Sydney's son's videos. The addition of the drone footage is a great addition.

It might be that guy's paradise "now", but what will it be when others see his video? It might, and probably will turn into another over crowded Bali with all its pollution.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    more of the lovely Indo Gal and less of the overly enthusiastic white bloke thanks...555

I fell in love with The Outer Gillies about 30 years ago...sleeping in a hammock on the beach and getting about via horse and cart with the locals...had maybe 3-4 trips there within a 2 year period..after that marriage got in the way...haven't been back since...I probably never will either...there are just some places you know are best left as memories...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    My daughter is at Komodo island at the moment diving, that looks great as well.

I never been Lombok been meaning to. Would like to do skids down that volcano.
    bacwaan and Bacon like this.

I'll try and get there next year sometime if I can and suss it out. I'm shopping around at the moment and considering it as an option for long term residence, but I'm worried there's not much else there aside from nice beaches and scenery.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    but I'm worried there's not much else there aside from nice beaches and scenery.
    What eles do you need.........im sure they have beer..........55
    Bacon likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    great surf in Lombok and IIRC I heard you can fly direct from west coast Aust .....But I believe its a Muslim Island .

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    great surf in Lombok and IIRC I heard you can fly direct from west coast Aust .....But I believe its a Muslim Island .
    Quake sorted that out. I don't think Allah wants em there 555.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Allah was way cool 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Did a bit of research on Lombok a year or so ago as was looking for a new destination. The beaches look really nice, very picture-esque. I try to take Trip Advisor reports with a pinch of salt but the general consensus on the Gillies was that they are all fucked and it's not worth the journey. I also read a lot of disturbing reports about the locals and safety in Lombok, especially around Kuta, where I was planning on staying. You can always find a few similar reports for any place you go to, but after I read 6 or 7 I decided to just not go.

Let us know how you find it.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Did a bit of research on Lombok a year or so ago as was looking for a new destination. The beaches look really nice, very picture-esque. I try to take Trip Advisor reports with a pinch of salt but the general consensus on the Gillies was that they are all fucked and it's not worth the journey. I also read a lot of disturbing reports about the locals and safety in Lombok, especially around Kuta, where I was planning on staying. You can always find a few similar reports for any place you go to, but after I read 6 or 7 I decided to just not go.

Isn't the internet great! You can find remarkable new places to visit, and then read fairly recent reports of what it's actually like.

Then, you can divide that with your own personal knowledge, along with your likes and dislikes, and go from there. Some people enjoy it rough and rowdy. Others prefer it serene with lots of pampering.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post

Kuta is in Bali. No worst than any other place I've been. Generally pretty safe.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Kuta is in Bali. No worst than any other place I've been. Generally pretty safe.
    theres also a Kuta in Lombok

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    theres also a Kuta in Lombok

Yep was talking about Kuta in Lombok not Bali. Now I'm obviously not saying don't go to Lombok. But I read a bunch of reports like this and it was enough to me want to go elsewhere.

Flores looks nice. Komodo National Park ect. Tonnes of cool islands out there. If I ever go to Indonesia I'll mostly likely explore there.

That sounds nasty. Again you wonder how widespread this is and whether these stories might be exaggerated or not. You hear similar accounts of PI and yet people who have been there often tell me to ignore them and just exercise common sense. Not that there is that great an appeal to go to Lombok beyond nice beaches.