Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Stillearly
  • 1 Post By RakThai
  • 1 Post By supersub

Thread: PP Maya bay closed...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar

PP Maya bay closed...

... indefinately by the sounds of things.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/art...aya-bay-closed

First Koh Tachai now this. Oh well. The last time I was there was maybe 3-4 years ago. It was nice but was way too packed. If I did go back I'd stay somewhere quite like Loh Bagao Bay or Long beach but I guess those places will fill out even more now.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I like how it's the tourists fault , not the industry or locals - my last time there was 94 , was getting too busy then ..
    Quarky and Ian Forbes like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    ... indefinately by the sounds of things.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/art...aya-bay-closed

First Koh Tachai now this. Oh well. The last time I was there was maybe 3-4 years ago. It was nice but was way too packed. If I did go back I'd stay somewhere quite like Loh Bagao Bay or Long beach but I guess those places will fill out even more now.
    Politics... Next they will make it a National Park and reopen with a 300 TBH fee per visitor...
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I like how it's the tourists fault , not the industry or locals - my last time there was 94 , was getting too busy then ..
    Exactly. I visited those areas in tour boats around the year 2000. I don't recall any damage being done by the tourists. Most just had a small back pack with maybe a drink bottle and swim suit or extra clothing. I never saw anyone toss their garbage, or if I had I would have said something. If there was any damage done to the area it would be by the local Thais.

Damage to the reefs could have been prevented by limiting the number of tour boats and the number of visits. But, that would require actual management by lazy government officials... who are very much like the Thai police.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Politics... Next they will make it a National Park and reopen with a 300 TBH fee per visitor...
    That would be okay if the park managers actually did something constructive other than just collect a fee.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    That's great, cause I bet after this dies down you can still get dodgy longtail drivers to take you there, except there'll be no one there. The last and only time I went there you could hardly see the beach for all the people slithering around on it. It was disgusting.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    That's great, cause I bet after this dies down you can still get dodgy longtail drivers to take you there, except there'll be no one there. The last and only time I went there you could hardly see the beach for all the people slithering around on it. It was disgusting.

I'm pretty sure everyone will have the same idea. If this closure is on par with Tachai island (Phang Nga Province) then that's it for this place.

But with the money they'd be losing I reckon they will review it after a few years and reopen.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Comparison between 2008 and 2017... even in those ten years the tourists exploded...

Maya Bay Contrast
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Good article and those before/after graphics really help to describe the scale of how bad it had gotten to. I hope when it opens the Thai authorities set sensible limits on the number of visitors.

Another less publicised island closure is Tachai island, in Phang Nga. A lot of people want to go there for the Similans, but for me this was the draw. Unfortunately I never made it there before it closed.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...ts-coral-reefs

Platinum
    Good article and those before/after graphics really help to describe the scale of how bad it had gotten to. I hope when it opens the Thai authorities set sensible limits on the number of visitors.

Another less publicised island closure is Tachai island, in Phang Nga. A lot of people want to go there for the Similans, but for me this was the draw. Unfortunately I never made it there before it closed.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...ts-coral-reefs
    I was on a liveabord at the similans for 5 days one and a half month after the tsunami. We was alone on all the dive sites, was also the only boat mored in Donald Duck bay, I don't think I will ruin that memory with going back there to see all the Chinese that is there on day trips now.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by anmeno View Post
    I was on a liveabord at the similans for 5 days one and a half month after the tsunami. We was alone on all the dive sites, was also the only boat mored in Donald Duck bay, I don't think I will ruin that memory with going back there to see all the Chinese that is there on day trips now.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    I was there just before the Tsunami. I was staying at a beach shack at Kao Lak in December, and visiting the Similan Islands every few days on a dive boat.

I should be dead right now, but my daughter e-mailed me and asked me to come home for Christmas because she was planning a big party at her new home. I might have ignored her request, but I also had two American anglers who wanted me to guide them on Vancouver Island, so I flew home December 19. On Boxing day we started getting all the reports of the tsunami. The rest is history.

I went back in March and the beach shack I was staying in was washed away... along with the two Thai families and the Swedish resort down the beach. Nobody knew what happened to any of them.

That's some scary shit Ian.

That's some scary shit Ian.
    Not scary, but it does make you wonder about fate and passed lives some times. Do good in this life and you will be rewarded in the next one... Kind of like the discussion that life is not fair. For the past 60 years, I've been trying to atone for all my sins in the first 19.