Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: 7 dead in fiery mini-van crash

7 dead in fiery mini-van crash

This tragic story highlights one of the dangers associated with CNG/LPG powered vehicles in Thailand.

Story here > Seven dead in East Pattaya Minivan crash | Pattaya One - Pattaya News, Thailand News, World News, updated 24 hours a day <

Gas-fueled vehicles are banned from underground and enclosed carparks. Note the position of the (1 of 2?) tank ... back seat passengers sat above this ticking bomb!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

That's sad. Mostly women and children. How awful....
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I hate vans with a passion. I've seen more stupid drivers doing crazy things in minivans than just about every other vehicle except possibly pickup trucks with bigger motors. I'm sure there are some good mini-van drivers, but they are far out numbered by ones who think they own the road and expect everyone else to get out of their way. And, because most of the mini-vans are privately owned the drivers do not always maintain them properly. I had a bad motorcycle accident last year because a poorly maintained mini-van had blown its motor and spread oil all over the highway. The motorbike was down before I had a chance to react. On countless occasions on the highway I've been forced off the road by mini-vans coming at me in my lane while they are illegally passing on a double yellow line on a blind corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I hate vans with a passion. I've seen more stupid drivers doing crazy things in minivans than just about every other vehicle except possibly pickup trucks with bigger motors. I'm sure there are some good mini-van drivers, but they are far out numbered by ones who think they own the road and expect everyone else to get out of their way. And, because most of the mini-vans are privately owned the drivers do not always maintain them properly. I had a bad motorcycle accident last year because a poorly maintained mini-van had blown its motor and spread oil all over the highway. The motorbike was down before I had a chance to react. On countless occasions on the highway I've been forced off the road by mini-vans coming at me in my lane while they are illegally passing on a double yellow line on a blind corner.
    The VIP (or silver) vans are certainly manned by the most dangerous drivers in Thailand. By 'privately owned' I think you mean commercially operated as most are for hotel shuttles or private inter-city transport as opposed to 'public transport'.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    The VIP (or silver) vans are certainly manned by the most dangerous drivers in Thailand. By 'privately owned' I think you mean commercially operated as most are for hotel shuttles or private inter-city transport as opposed to 'public transport'.
    Yes, that is what I meant, Rob, by privately owned. Just today at the Airport Plaza intersection a silver van went through a red light LONG after it had changed. But, what made it worse was the 2 other vans following also went through the red light. There was a good 10 second delay waiting for them to pass. Had someone jumped the light like I see so often, there could have been a bad accident. And, last year between Mae Hong Son and Yuam there was a portion of the road missing right beside a steep bank. I had the right of way on my motorbike but 3 silver vans almost forced me into the washout. I barely skid to a stop and actually touched the cone at the precipice. Thankfully, I never trust blind corners and wasn't going too fast. I guess might is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Yes, that is what I meant, Rob, by privately owned. Just today at the Airport Plaza intersection a silver van went through a red light LONG after it had changed. But, what made it worse was the 2 other vans following also went through the red light. There was a good 10 second delay waiting for them to pass. Had someone jumped the light like I see so often, there could have been a bad accident. And, last year between Mae Hong Son and Yuam there was a portion of the road missing right beside a steep bank. I had the right of way on my motorbike but 3 silver vans almost forced me into the washout. I barely skid to a stop and actually touched the cone at the precipice. Thankfully, I never trust blind corners and wasn't going too fast. I guess might is right.
    That's why we traded our little Civic for the Hi-lander!

There's often a 'digi-cop' taking pics of the red-light runners at that Airport Plaza RH turn.
    Cheers, Rob.

The ONLY time I run a red light is if I'm right beside a big bus going through. OR,I have someone right up my ass in a truck and I KNOW he is going through... even if it means right over the top of me. I HATE approaching a stale green light for just that reason.