Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Accomodation in the Khao Lak general area- any 1st hand Recommendations?

Accomodation in the Khao Lak general area- any 1st hand Recommendations?

Hi TDF Boarder's,
    Be going to Khao Lak with the little lady in march(We'll be going scuba diving), anybody here have any recommendations(or advise to stay way from a place or places) for accomo under 2000baht/nite, also any dive operators that are good value and where to eat in the area would be greatly appreciated.
    Usually I stay in phuket but want to expand my range in the south(totally over patong beach nowadays, it's getting like patts with hawkers and the stiff merchants.
    Klong Muang beach in Krabi is my favourite Thai hideaway, but the diving is limited there.

Thanks in advance,
    Damon

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Its some back now , but I stayed 3 times in this place.

Khao Lak Green Beach Resort: Beach bungalows in peaceful nature

Really pleasant place down on the main beach below the big supermart.

I cant remember the places names , but across the road from the mart is a couple of good restaurants...

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Its some back now , but I stayed 3 times in this place.

Khao Lak Green Beach Resort: Beach bungalows in peaceful nature

Really pleasant place down on the main beach below the big supermart.

I cant remember the places names , but across the road from the mart is a couple of good restaurants...
    How's the security?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Security was fine , lockable shutters and strong door... and I should add that 'FF2' was not a tiny bungalow.
    Staff wandering around so I didnt feel it was vulnerable at all.
    Could park straight in front of the room and stroll 20 seconds onto a nice beach.

Bit of a late post for Ozzy ( did he report back??) I used Sea-bees diving from Palm Garden Resort in Khao Lak for a 2 night boat in 2010, main reason they had single cabins, as me and dive buddy did not want to share, okay trip but sites were still recovering from Tsunami and white out. Palm Gdn bungalows were large and comfy enough, was just landside off the main drag and 15 minutes walk North to some restaurants; but it is not on the beach!

Quote Originally Posted by mechime View Post
    Bit of a late post for Ozzy ( did he report back??) I used Sea-bees diving from Palm Garden Resort in Khao Lak for a 2 night boat in 2010, main reason they had single cabins, as me and dive buddy did not want to share, okay trip but sites were still recovering from Tsunami and white out. Palm Gdn bungalows were large and comfy enough, was just landside off the main drag and 15 minutes walk North to some restaurants; but it is not on the beach!
    Sorry, I never ended up staying-

I ended up booking out of patong, because my wife used to work for Bauman Buri resort we got accommodation from the accounts manager for 1500baht/night, an offer too good to refuse.

My wife did her O/W padi ticket, with Aussie divers Phuket used the thai language padi ow manual and had a thai lady instructor "Nim"- she passed it in the 3 day allocated, so now she's got a dive ticket and done 7 open water dives.

Me I did a 4 day live aboard at Similian, koh bon, koh tai chi and richleau rock- with south siam 4 for 25000 baht, food was ordinary at best- but the diving was good especially koh bon and similian deep 6 and #9.

Saw a few dogtooth tuna, Harlequin shrimp, sea moths, regal and emperor angelfish, and the highlight was the Humphead parrot around 40kilo on the koh bon mooring rope.

So kohlak will wait till next year when the missus will come out to the similians with me.
    cheers,
    Damon

Hi Damon, I also logged Humphead Parrot at Koh Bon back in 2010, also good size Napoleon, Bearded Scorpion, Trumpet and more enjoyed being on Nitrox. Looked at Baumanburi for this May but being noise sensitive, did not fancy chancing being at the front rooms near Hard rock. Lucky your missus has taken up OW, you can enjoy talking about your dives.
    Last edited by mechime; 22nd April 2013 at 20:20. Reason: name,more than one ozzy on forum!

Quote Originally Posted by mechime View Post
    Hi Damon, I also logged Humphead Parrot at Koh Bon back in 2010, also good size Napoleon, Bearded Scorpion, Trumpet and more enjoyed being on Nitrox. Looked at Baumanburi for this May but being noise sensitive, did not fancy chancing being at the front rooms near Hard rock. Lucky your missus has taken up OW, you can enjoy talking about your dives.
    Hi Mechime,
    They also have a hotel on soi san sabai called WE hotel, it is very handy to the action, reasonably priced and tall enough to be above the crazy noises of the soi.

I still think Australia is truly better diving, but getting my lady safely certified- without a scary moment, that would break her from the idea of scuba diving- by a Thai lady instructor was the ultimate way to achieve this....my Lady is everything to me! and to have her doing what I love doing is fantastic for me, as I want our travels to be primarily dive fixated(plan a big catamaran purchase on retirement, probably up Port Douglass way).
    Also diving helps all people develop and overcome their fears- can't get enough for me.
    Last edited by OzzyDamo; 24th April 2013 at 14:24. Reason: grammatical errors