Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: What Do You Look For In A Bar?

Rock & Roll

What Do You Look For In A Bar?

Okay, thought I'd start something a bit different here. I put it in the Phuket area only because that's where I'm located. But feel free to refer to other areas if that's your preference.

Also, I'm not referring to girly bars or what type of girls or girly bars or go-go's you like, but bars mostly related to your drinking needs. In other words: What kind of bars you are most comfortable drinking in? Is it the booze & beer selection, music played, ladies attitudes, general atmosphere, sports on the telly? What is it that brings you back again and again?

For me, as a (young looking handsome) old fart with a long time gf here, I like the quieter local type places to relax and have some beer and conversation. Not always an easy thing to find here. And I like a place where I get a good drink for a good price and my biz is appreciated. Decent music that's not too loud, a good measure in my drink, and good old fashioned value does it for me. A friendly place where 'everybody knows your name' as the old TV show says, and I feel welcomed when I walk in the door.

I personally avoid the tourist areas like the plague! You'll never find me anywhere near Bangla, I hate the place. But if that floats your boat, let's hear about it here, and specifically why.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    What I look for in a bar is generally a good atmosphere. I personally like Bangla road, but I could see why a local would get sick of it, It is very full on. I also like the bars at OTOP. I liek to be able to have a chat to the staff, Like you I have a GF so not looking into the P4P, I like to play the stupid games they have 5555, they must have Singha, which i have never had a problem with in LOS. Good music is also a good thing but not a must as I can adjust to most musics. I don't like being hasseled by people trying to sell things to you while having a drink so try to get away from that when i can. I have made friends over the past few trips and tend to go back and visit them most nights for a drink

I like all sorts of bars depending on my mood... some days I like the laid-back quiet bars with a pool table and some sport on the TV... and other days I like to get hammered and find bars that are buzzing...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Are we going to name names of Bars that we like as well?

Daytime/ Early Evening: Like, casua.l relaxing no hard sell, music but not overpowering so Dolphin Bar, Scruffy's (outside section) in Bangala good starter places.
    Mid to Late: Anywhere where it is moving, good bar to watch the Bangala scene is Bar 54 if you need a quick break from the full on Soi's
    Late to Early morning: If on a big one. again where the action is though not necessiraly my favourite type of places, Tai Pan and Tiger Disco/ If a quieter one, usually like to do the witching hour at the Dolphin.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    As a single guy Bangers is not bad but about 2 nights and i am looking for something quiet...er
    As a Married guy prob same same....people watching from ship wreck or up the back of a bar complex.
    I like Tiks bar (bad boy bar)up one of those Sois off Rat rd...she always does a BBQ for us at the end of our stay....must have spent to much money 5555 She lets me change the music and no one hassles you.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock & Roll View Post
    .... In other words: What kind of bars you are most comfortable drinking in? Is it the booze & beer selection, music played, ladies attitudes, general atmosphere, sports on the telly? What is it that brings you back again and again?....
    As I am (still) a regular visitor rather than an expat local I don't mind visiting the tourist type bars, sometimes - Shipwreck on Bangla to watch the world go by, get annoyed by the vendors and have a chat is a fine one-off on a Phuket visit. For afternoon long sessions, more likely I'll be in a quieter area like Karon.

For relaxed hassle-free drinking, chatting to mates and/or the BB girls - then you'll likely find me in Pattaya or Jomtien. Good value drinks, good attitude from the girls and the music not to loud.

The real turn offs for me are places where the very first words you hear are "U buy me drink?" or the beer prices don't reflect the value and effort in the bar itself - in both cases it is just lack of respect for the customer. I got caught on this double lady drink BS on one my last trips to Cowboy - 400 baht. Hope they framed the "bin" cause it was the last lady drink Minder is ever buying.

Happy Hours at an ago go where the whiskey and coke has less kick than a lady drink is another turn off. Did a random sample thru Cowboy early one evening about a year ago - Suzie Wong had the best 40 baht "Johnny cokes" by a mile at that time.

I'm happy talking to the oldest ugliest BG in the place if she has a good attitude. Since I am not interested in bar fining or P4P that is often who the mamasan sends to sit with me anyway. As the oldest and ugliest punter in the bar - we make a good match.

Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    What do I look for in a bar...?[SIZE="7"]BEER[/SIZE]
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    During the day, afternoon, I like air con in a bar, courtious staff, and to play some pool, games or watch TV.

In Patts, it was the Metro on Soi LK Metro, also had the benifit of excelent perving while all the girls walked to the work at bars down the road. The staff were fun with out being over the top, and as I had the bike i would come and go several times.

At night I liked a good band and good atmosphere. I also like to have girls totalk to without them pushing for you to BF them. If they are chatty and pleasant, I'll happly buy them a drink, but not every time.

My PET HATE .. as a newbie, and the softy I am/was I hate geting pushed to buy drinks for other staff, or other girls. I say I buy you a drink, I didn't ask to buy 3-4-5-6? others drinks, just because they are doing their job. ( I'll save it for the Rant thread)

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I like a good old barfly.... the type that knows the fact that, the more I drink the more Bullsh1t i'm going to spin...

Rock & Roll
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    <snipped>
    My PET HATE .. as a newbie, and the softy I am/was I hate geting pushed to buy drinks for other staff, or other girls. I say I buy you a drink, I didn't ask to buy 3-4-5-6? others drinks, just because they are doing their job. ( I'll save it for the Rant thread)
    Agree with that JC. The whole concept of lady drinks is to motivate the girls to get out there and get the customers drinking and spending money. They get a cut of the price for their efforts, and usually have a ‘quota’ to fill to motivate them to do their job. They make money, the bars make money, customers have a lady to sit or chat with them, everybody’s happy, right?

Not always the case! Seems that in their constant effort to find the easier (lazy) way, they’ll find that one sucker to buy them a drink, then get all their friends over to hound him for one to help add to their quotas, then go quickly back to slacking off with their friends again. Whether bar owners realize it or not, this is the quickest way to drive me from a bar, never to return!

Although I no longer frequent these types of bars, I had no guilt whatsoever telling the whole lot of them to fark off if they hounded me! 555 And they can keenieow me behind my back all they want. Yep, I’m keenieow alright - keenieow like a fox! 555

Summer Breeze Hotel bar - drinking and joking with the staff & other guests, or just enjoying a coldie, watching all the babes go by.
    Shipwreck or Moon bars on Bangla for sheer entertainment value and perving, of course.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Summer Breeze Hotel bar - drinking and joking with the staff & other guests, or just enjoying a coldie, watching all the babes go by.
    Shipwreck or Moon bars on Bangla for sheer entertainment value and perving, of course.
    Come June this will be me

Just wanted to add as well. I find the girls in bars that push for LD's a pain in the rear end as well as most have said. If they are asking they don't deserve it IMO