Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Croc off Phuket beach?

Croc off Phuket beach?

Source: Khaosod

Source: Thairath

Thai newspapers reporting this apparent crocodile sighting off Phuket's Mai Khao beach yesterday, estimated length 3m.
    A boat was sent out from the Marine Resources Research and Development Unit, however failed to locate the crocodile in a 2hr search.
    Last edited by Hatari; 4th November 2013 at 10:01.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    pic certainly looks like one.

he couldn`t have been too hungry if there`s no one missing
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Khaosod: Dr Prasad from the Marine Resources Research and Development Unit observed from the beach with the aid of a telephoto lens he confirmed the creature to be a crocodile.

So it is possible - Wiki says:
    The saltwater crocodile was historically known to be widespread throughout south-east Asia, but is now extinct throughout much of this range. This species has not been reported in the wild for decades in most of Indochina and is extinct in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and possibly Cambodia. The status of this species is critical within much of Myanmar, but there is a stable population of many large adults present in the Irrawaddy Delta.
    Because of its tendency to travel very long distances at sea, individual saltwater crocodiles have been known to occasionally appear in areas far away from their general range.
    and it could have escaped (floods) from a commercial farming operation

The Nation March 9, 2013
    Thailand is believed to have more than 200 crocodiles in the wild nationwide, while some 200,000 Siamese and 20,000 saltwater crocs are being bred in the 800 commercial crocodile farms across the country.

or just be on holiday from Ranong . . .

this diagram: Current Distribution of Crocodylus porosus

Thailand
    Saltwater crocodiles were historically present throughout coastal Thailand including around the Bay of Bangkok and along both the east and west coasts of the Malay Peninsula. Around the Bay of Bangkok the species was once present within the Bangkok area, the Petchaburi River and other areas. Along the eastern coast of the Malay Peninsula populations were known from the Chumphon River in Chumphon province, waterways near Phunphin along Bandon Bay and the island in Ko Samui in Surat Thani province, waterways near Pak Phanang in Nakhon Si Thammarat province, the Saiburi River of Pattani province and Pa Pru in Narathiwat province near the border with Thailand.
    Along the western coast of the Malay Peninsula populations formerly existed on the island of Ko Tarutao in Satun province, within the Trang River of Trang Province and on Phuket Island (Ratanakorn 1993).
    A few saltwater crocodiles were found in Phuket Island during the early 1990s, but these are believed to have been itinerants from a neighboring range state (Myanmar, Malaysia or Indonesia) and most of Phuket's crocodile habitat has been destroyed (Ratanakorn et al. 1994).
    The only portion of Thailand which may still hold resident saltwater crocodiles is the Ranong River within Ranong province along the border with Myanmar. Crocodiles are occasionally sighted in the river and there are even reports of successful breeding, but these have yet to be confirmed (Webb et al. 2010). Given that it is likely the species persists within the neighboring Tanintharyi state of Myanmar it certainly seems possible that a resident population may remain within the Ranong River region.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I bet the tourist that saw it got a fright.

It must have gone to a hiding spot, that water is so clear it would be easy to spot from a distance.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Its a log.

Phuket Tourists Warned of Holiday Snaps: Crocodile Sighted off Mai Khao Beach

Monday, November 4, 2013
    PHUKET: Tourists have been advised not to swim at Phuket's northern beaches after a three-metre crocodile was spotted in the water yesterday.

The sighting came at Mai Khao beach about 3pm and was confirmed by authorities using zoom binoculars.

So far, there's no explanation for the appearance of the crocodile, although some escaped from a farm in Phang Nga, the province north of Phuket, earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    Its a log.
    crocs don`t usually swim with their whole body exposed,especially their tails...might well be a croc o sh1te!

^ maybe a series of fake ones off the Patong and Karon beaches would improve water safety:

or something like this?

There were two crocs reported off Sattahip naval base last year, didn't bite anyone though
    SATTAHIP – June 3, 2012 [PDN]; Rear Admiral Vinai Royal Thai Navy was notified by Captain Aphakorn Yukongkaew that they had found the two large crocodiles near a diving point on the north of Juang Island, Sattahip, Chonburi province.
    The crocs were spotted two days ago. The officers photographed the two reptiles; one large and the other one smaller.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Out of all the nasty dangerous animals in Australia. Which one kills the most people? Anyone care to have a guess?
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Guess, ummm how about the dog Tick, bastards kill a lot of cattle.

Ok just looked it up and not surprised, knew it had to be a little fcuker, they are just so nasty.
    Last edited by 1080; 4th November 2013 at 14:54.

mosquito?....

Is what I would have said.

Riding accidents.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    For wild nasty things, the Funnel Web spider. Quad bikes are becoming a big killer on rural properties of late more so than horses. Might have to install roll cages on quads in the not too distant future but not sure how to do the same with horses, jontymate ?????

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    not sure how to do the same with horses, jontymate ?????
    Ejection seats? It'll fry the horse though, which is a shame.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post

Is what I would have said.

Riding accidents.
    Knocked out cold a few times by a amorous stallion or a non receptive mare to make boom boom.55555 In end I could see the stallions eyes see me walk in to the stable and horn up. Bit like getting involved in a Thai farang relationship to happen after a short time for getting to know each other. It is me that gets kicked in the head. 5555555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Knocked out cold a few times by a amorous stallion or a non receptive mare to make boom boom.55555 In end I could see the stallions eyes see me walk in to the stable and horn up. Bit like getting involved in a Thai farang relationship to happen after a short time for getting to know each other. It is me that gets kicked in the head. 5555555
    I worked on Dude ranch when I was a kid (court orders!55). I learned quickly to respect power of the little horsies. I got throw about a dozen times in the first two weeks. I soon learned that they where more stubborn than me!!555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    The best thing about the French = They eat horses 555

I'm worried about the direction this thread is taking... I don't even think we have an animal husbandry section I can bump it up to any more...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

or just move the last ten irrelevant to this topic posts to their own thread about, well, whatever!
    So often I have to scroll up to see what thread i am reading, posts having no relation whatsoever to the thread title.
    The random 'throw it out there and see what sticks' approach to forum posting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast