Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Bacon
  • 1 Post By Bawdy

Thread: Spearfishing off Phuket

Spearfishing off Phuket

a few news stories around this since last week; what do you think?
    Appears to be quite legal - the spearfishing and size of shark OK
    I've been snorkeling here and later seen guys with spearguns, for me that is definitely the time to get out of the water and go somewhere else.

Early news story, last Friday:

[SIZE="4"]Shark killed off Phuket Beach raises online ire[/SIZE]
    Phuket Gazette - Friday, March 14, 2014

PHUKET: Photos posted online of a foreigner killing a small shark at Kata Noi Beach prompted outrage, but the act was legal, a marine official said.

Tanet Munnoy, chief of the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) Region 5 Chief, said, “We can’t do anything to him.”

The pictures, posted on the Go Eco Phuket Facebook page (click here) yesterday, showed a man in the act of killing the shark on a rock.

“The photos show the foreigner at Kata Noi. It’s legal to fish there, and the shark he caught looks more than 50 centimeters long,” said Mr Tanet.

According to Fisheries Act B.E. 2490, killing whale sharks is illegal, but killing other kinds of sharks is not, as long as they are more than 50 centimeters long.

Phuketwan's version:

[SIZE="4"]Phuket Shark Killer Wins No Facebook Fans[/SIZE]
    Thursday, March 13, 2014

PHUKET: Anger and resentment has been building over these photographs that show a spear fisherman dealing with his catch, a small shark, at Kata Noi beach yesterday.

The photographs were first published on the Go Eco Phuket Facebook page, where comments have not been complimentary.

[SIZE="4"]Swede wanted by Phuket police for reckless spear-fishing[/SIZE]

MARCH 17, 2014 AT 17:17

Police are looking for a Swedish resident of Phuket who had been caught on camera spear-fishing and illegally selling his catches in Kata beach area last week

Members of the Go Eco Phuket diver/conservationists group said they had notified police of the Swede’s reckless behaviour and potentially illegal actions.

“The Swedish, a local resident, has been seen spearing and then gutting a blacktip shark. The man did harpoon-fishing among coral reefs frequented by tourists and divers,” the group said in a statement.

Although hunting for blacktip sharks over the size of 50 cms in length is not illegal, but excessive hunting could upset ecological balance of marine life. But harpoon-fishing underwater, endangering others obviously is, according to the group.

They also said the Swede probably also broke the law when he sold his catches to passers-by. Foreigners cannot work as fishmonger in Thailand.

The activist group said they had submitted the name and address of the Swede to local police. But they have not disclosed the name of that person pending investigation by police.

Like getting Al Capone for tax fraud

Spearfishing at a public beach - that's OK
    Killing a shark - totally legal
    Selling fish fillets - Without a work permit!! Now you're in trouble.

Or . . . this one will just 'go away' and we'll never hear an outcome.

Comments from the panel?

What next?
    Tourists able to hire a speargun as well as their snorkel and fins when they're at the beach?
    I can see that ending well.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    ^^^
    It would give you some defense against jetski yahoos!

spearfishing is not fishing,i put my sailfish and barra's back,i keep the tuna to eat and the wahoo,but to kill a shark for sport is not sporting IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by sateve View Post
    spearfishing is not fishing,i put my sailfish and barra's back,i keep the tuna to eat and the wahoo,but to kill a shark for sport is not sporting IMHO
    Bronze whalers under a metre are good eating if dressed and bled immediately - but I only use handlines.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Bronze whalers under a metre are good eating if dressed and bled immediately - but I only use handlines.
    Indeed!! The tastiest IMO are small makos, under about a metre... for some reason, they don't have that ammonia smell about em, that other sharks have... I dunno if they are found around Thailand tho.
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Gummy's are sweet and plentiful around these parts.

Shark bbq

Giant shark near Phuket ends up on barbecues

PHUKET: Scientists from the Coastal Fisheries Research and Development Centre in Krabi yesterday (February 2) went to take a look at a very large dead shark found floating just off the coast.

But when they got there they found that local residents had already beaten them to it – chopping up the shark and 18 baby sharks found dead inside it, and distributing the meat fairly to everyone, while it was still fresh.

The locals in Tha Maprow village reported that they had found the dead shark floating in Maprao Bay. Local fishermen used a long tail boat to bring it ashore. They said that the shark had no signs of any injuries.

Of some help to the scientists were a bunch of photos someone had thoughtfully taken before the meat cleaver was deployed.

In the interests of science, the villagers also used a yardstick to measure the shark – it was 3.15 metres long – and weighed it – it topped 300 kilos.

The villagers gave their opinion that the shark had died while giving birth.

Tassapon Krajangdara, an official from the Andaman Coastal Fisheries Research and Development Centre in Phuket, commented after seeing photos of the shark that it appeared to be either a bull shark or a cub shark, which belong to the same family as blacktip reef sharks.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    possible bull shark and belly full of babies?

always heard stories of them being around phuket but surprising that there are no attacks as they are a very territorial and usually deadly shark elsewhere.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Looks like a common reef shark. They're everywhere and no where near endangered. I'm against whaling and killing of endangered species, but people need to understand that there are species of shark that are as common as any fish.

And the article keeps talking about outrage, but doesn't mention the source of this so called outrage. If it's other foreigners, tell em to keep their feckin outrage, the guy didn't break any laws.
    Zablive and supersub like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

^^^
    And, everybody in the village got a feed, from Buddha's providence, in their fishing ground.

Plus 11 less noahs.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    possible bull shark and belly full of babies?

always heard stories of them being around phuket but surprising that there are no attacks as they are a very territorial and usually deadly shark elsewhere.
    Bull shark's only give birth in the upper parts of estuaries, rivers, canal's. Not at sea, so if it died while birthing i would think it wasn't a Bull.

Either way the village got a good feed and there are less noah's in the water.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    ^ Definitely looks like a type of whaler shark, if a bull, maybe drifted for a while.
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^^ I have no idea of the area, maybe it was a Bull and was up a creek and died in birthing then washed out with the tide????
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"