• 1 Post By Stillearly
  • 1 Post By Stillearly

Thread: Phuket Town-Patong passenger van service starts

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

Phuket Town-Patong passenger van service starts

Phuket-Patong passenger van service starts | Bangkok Post: news

Phuket-Patong passenger van service starts
    Published: 1/09/2015
    Phuket authorities on Tuesday launched public passenger van services on a route between Phuket town and popular Patong beach as an alternative means of transport for visitors to the island province.

Theerayut Prasertpol, chief of the Phuket provincial transport office, on Tuesday, said six passenger vans were now operating on the Phuket-Patong route, a distance of 18 kilometres.

Vans depart the provincial bus terminal every hour between 7am and 6pm every day, and from Patong beach between 6am and 7pm. The fare is 50 baht each from Phuket to Patong. If passengers use the service between Sam Kong area and Patong, the fare is 30 baht each. Fares are halved for students, the provincial transport office chief said.

Vans pick up and drop passengers at seven stops -- in front of the provincial hall, the provincial prison, Phuketwittayalai School, Vachira Phuket Hospital, Bangkok Hospital, Sam Kong Municipal School and the Tesco Lotus Sam Kong branch, he said.

Anoma Wongyai, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailandís Phuket office, said on Tuesday that there was a rise in tourist arrivals and departures in the island province between January and July. Tourist arrivals stood at 3.67 million during this period, an increase of 12.99%, while tourist departures were reported at 3.79 million, a 12.16% increase.

Chinese visitors topped the nationality list, with over 700,000 visiting the country during this period, followed by Russians and then Australian tourists, Ms Anoma said.

I wonder how long this lasts ...
    Tingtong likes this.

Cadet Gold
    I'm sure they will run into a few "accidents".

PGC
    Is Phuket Town a popular destination. I've never been.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    It's very nice , some great old streets and buildings , good places to eat , they also have weekend markets and when festivals are on
    Chob likes this.

And don't forget to call into the Rockin Angels Blues Cafe/bar; there are other music bars in the same locality though this bus does not run in evenings so it is a bit of a drive.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    There's always been a regular "Bus" service between Patong and Phuket town.
    They stop at places like Makro.
    The taxi mafia don't like anyone else going Patong to Kata Karon way.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    I also remember seeing that local bus as I think it used to terminate in Patong at the end the road where the Sunset Plaza bars are located.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    There's always been a regular "Bus" service between Patong and Phuket town.
    They stop at places like Makro.
    The taxi mafia don't like anyone else going Patong to Kata Karon way.
    Yes, its a blue truck/bus called a songthaew and it departs PT at the central market ( near a roundabout ) and stops in Patong at the sth end of the beach where Chelski says.
    The real injustice is the TT Mafias control of the coast rd ...so one has to bus it to PT from Patong , then catch another bus back out to Karon.
    I do note there is NO new service running the much shorter coastal route or ANY suggestion of it !

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Just come back from Hua Hin and they seem to have a great local transport system there that involves 4 or 5 different companies, but all seems to work in well together.
    The 1st part of or trip we stayed out at the bottom of Soi45 which is up towards the kings palace. There was a local songthaew (small pick up truck) that used to come past our hotel, so if it was to hot to walk, we used to jump on that and take us to the top of the main street at Soi59. 10baht each person per trip. The routes that these trucks cover range from the far end of Hua Hin Beach (near Koh Takiab) out to the airport.
    Most of the Songthaew's have signs on them to show what Soi's they service, so there should be no problem with getting the wrong one

There is also I think 3 or 4 other types of Tuk Tuks that operate varying routes and basically charge on distance traveled. That said we got one from outside our hotel and went all the way to Candlelight Beach which is the other side of Monkey Mountain (where the big buddah is) at a cost of 100 baht per head. So not bad value.

Then in the town there are the normal Dark Blue TukTuks that do short trips around the town. Thing is that I have not heard many negative comments about the services offered, so can only assume that locals & tourists are happy with how it all works.
    Last edited by chelski; 25th September 2015 at 11:10.