Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Phuket

Cadet

Phuket

Hi, I'm heading to Thailand, Phuket at this stage in the new year for approx 14 days. Would love any advice or itinerary suggestions.

Essentially looking for a relaxation holiday and not much for night life and that scene, looking to enjoy more of a resort style sit by the pool most of the time thing.

Looking at a few tours and such so any recommendations here would be appreciated too, would like to see phi phi islands and monkeys etc, not sure on the elephant scene and unsure about the ethical side of things.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have recommendations on phi phi island tour operators? Also, would love any tips for night markets, temples etc on the island that you should see.

Advice on accommodation would be great as I'm unsure on the best areas to stay, so might have to split up some time between two places.

Cadet
    Oh for accommodation I am looking at spending around $300USD per night.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Monkeys are assholes......
    Bacon and Tingtong like this.

At 300usd per night you can stay some very nice places.

Do you want to stay in a very chill area or in Patong where there is a lot of action, bars and restaurants
    You might want to stay in a quieter area?

Let us know and we can suggest places

Monkeys really are assholes....

Cadet
    I don't really want to stay in Patong as I have heard its very sleazy and I am not into that.

I was thinking down near Rawai seems like a good place, but open to suggestions. I could spend more per night for a good hotel if you think its needed.

Cadet
    Why are Monkeys assholes? I don't get what you mean.

Cadet
    I like the idea behind staying in a resort is they can offer lots of day activities for us such snorkeling, day trips to other areas, kayaking and transport into town. Also the option of having good food/resort restaurants, great pool/lounging facilities. I am not sure what the town/city is like as most people seem to avoid it.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum.

We actually have Phuket residents that post on this board. They're bound to chime in once they eventually wake up.

I've been around the islands a couple of times. The biggest advice I can give is to hire a private boat. You absolutely don't want to be herded around with a bunch of other people on a tour. And the type of boat you hire depends entirely on what you're after. A couple of months ago I went out exploring islands and caves in a long-tail. Not the most comfortable but gets 5 stars for adventure. Pictures below. I think we gave the guy 3000 baht for a few hours' journey. Around 85USD. Spend a couple of hundred and you can find yourself a nicer boat for an all day adventure. Going to the floating village and eating at their restaurant next to the ocean and cliff faces was an amazing experience that I highly recommend.

The ATV ride all the way up the hill to see the big(it's actually giant) Buddha statue is also not a bad one for first timers. ATVs are great fun there and they expose you to a lot of good scenery. That depends on your age and general mood of course. Not a rough ride by any means though, I've seen all sorts of people partake. So if it's the kind of thing that might tickle your fancy then you have a couple of options. You can do it on the island, or you can go up to Phang Nga. The Phang Nga one gives you the option of white water rafting and visiting the monkey temple as well. Which is actually a cave with a massive Buddha statue in it... yeah they like their Buddhas big over there.. Do be warned though, you'll be sending 2-3 hours in a car each way to get to Phang Nga and back.

Location wise, you'd probably want to stay away from Patong if you want a relaxing atmosphere. Patong is the biggest and most famous part of Phuket with a massive night life. You definitely should give it a visit one night though. Can't go to Phuket and not see Bangla road at night. It's a hoot. Our resident expats are the ones to give you advice on location and hotels though. I always stay at the same place and haven't moved around Phuket much.

And yes, monkeys are assholes indeed.

ATVphuket.com : ATV Tour, outdoor activities and Team Building in Phuket

Last edited by Bacon; 5th November 2016 at 13:11.
    OZZYGUY and Hatari like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by N.W.O View Post
    Why are Monkeys assholes? I don't get what you mean.
    They're mischievous little pricks. Still good fun though. You just can't stay mad at them. Plenty of places around Phuket will sell you bananas for a few baht so you can feed them.

I could spend more per night for a good hotel if you think its needed.
    Unless you plan on staying at the resort the entire time and not doing anything else then I wouldn't spend more than $300 a night. That's plenty for a really nice place.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

We actually have Phuket residents that post on this board. They're bound to chime in once they eventually wake up.

I've been around the islands a couple of times. The biggest advice I can give is to hire a private boat. You absolutely don't want to be herded around with a bunch of other people on a tour. And the type of boat you hire depends entirely on what you're after. A couple of months ago I went out exploring islands and caves in a long-tail. Not the most comfortable but gets 5 stars for adventure. Pictures below. I think we gave the guy 3000 baht for a few hours' journey. Around 85USD. Spend a couple of hundred and you can find yourself a nicer boat for an all day adventure. Going to the floating village and eating at their restaurant next to the ocean and cliff faces was an amazing experience that I highly recommend.

The ATV ride all the way up the hill to see the big(it's actually giant) Buddha statue is also not a bad one for first timers. ATVs are great fun there and they expose you to a lot of good scenery. That depends on your age and general mood of course. Not a rough ride by any means though, I've seen all sorts of people partake. So if it's the kind of thing that might tickle your fancy then you have a couple of options. You can do it on the island, or you can go up to Phang Nga. The Phang Nga one gives you the option of white water rafting and visiting the monkey temple as well. Which is actually a cave with a massive Buddha statue in it... yeah they like their Buddhas big over there.. Do be warned though, you'll be sending 2-3 hours in a car each way to get to Phang Nga and back.

Location wise, you'd probably want to stay away from Patong if you want a relaxing atmosphere. Patong is the biggest and most famous part of Phuket with a massive night life. You definitely should give it a visit one night though. Can't go to Phuket and not see Bangla road at night. It's a hoot. Our resident expats are the ones to give you advice on location and hotels though. I always stay at the same place and haven't moved around Phuket much.

And yes, monkeys are assholes indeed.

ATVphuket.com : ATV Tour, outdoor activities and Team Building in Phuket

Thanks for that, its the sort of information I was after.

BTW your pictures are not showing up just little squares except for the Map one.

I was thinking of getting a private boat to go looking around the islands such as the james bond one, so thanks so saying it worthwhile.

With Phang Nga how do you get there? is there a bridge or do you need to catch a ferry?

Cadet
    They're mischievous little pricks. Still good fun though. You just can't stay mad at them. Plenty of places around Phuket will sell you bananas for a few baht so you can feed them.
    I get what you mean now, yes I understand they can trouble but I want to see them still and see the trouble they get up to.

Cadet
    Unless you plan on staying at the resort the entire time and not doing anything else then I wouldn't spend more than $300 a night. That's plenty for a really nice place.
    Not sure yet, do you think 14 days is to long to spend in Phuket?, people tell me that I should go see Chiang Mai.

I can stretch the holiday out for another week if need be, still researching on what to do and where to go etc
    Last edited by N.W.O; 5th November 2016 at 12:41.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Accommodation, have look a look at kata beach resort, right on beach. Kata beach is a good location not far from patong . Should be in your price range.
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Cadet
    Does anyone have any good recommendations on hotels as reading resort reviews on Bookings.com etc is very conflicting even at best of places – even 5 star resorts get their share of bad reviews.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Accommodation, have look a look at kata beach resort, right on beach. Kata beach is a good location not far from patong . Should be in your price range.
    Posted at the same time almost, thanks will look it up now.

Cadet
    Question regarding scooters. I would like to explore the island at my own pace and go to different beaches and areas etc, but tuk tuk drivers and taxi seem to have a very bad reputation on Phuket from what I have read. So much a lot of hotels warn you not to use them.

So this leaves either scooters,rental cars or the hotel car. Money isn't an issue, but I would like the convenience of not having to worry about a car, parking or waiting for a driver to turn up.

Scooters seem to be an easy choice but there is a lot of warnings how dangerous they are with many deaths etc in Thailand. I have motorbike license, but don't ride much currently. So I think I can handle one myself no problem.

So what do you think? If riding at slow speeds and not doing stupid things, is it worth the risk? Looks like there is not much fast moving traffic on the island near the beach areas.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on hotels as reading resort reviews on Bookings.com etc is very conflicting even at best of places – even 5 star resorts get their share of bad reviews.
    I'd look at Kamala and Bang Tao for what you are looking for
    You said "us"
    Is it you and wife/gf/bf or family with kids?

For 300usd/nt you can rent a nice villa with private pool if you are a family.
    Look at Bell Villas in Kamala

Kamala is good because it has a lot of higher end resorts and villas but has a nice little walkable village near the beach with bard and restaurants and not sleazy at all.

Cape Sienna is a really nice report in Kamala, easy to get to bars and restaurants from there.

And I would definitely split your time between Phuket and Chiang Mai.
    Cheap and easy direct flights between the 2 cities( but I don't think every day) and you can experience the beach and the laid back north .

Question regarding scooters. I would like to explore the island at my own pace and go to different beaches and areas etc, but tuk tuk drivers and taxi seem to have a very bad reputation on Phuket from what I have read. So much a lot of hotels warn you not to use them.

So this leaves either scooters,rental cars or the hotel car. Money isn't an issue, but I would like the convenience of not having to worry about a car, parking or waiting for a driver to turn up.

Scooters seem to be an easy choice but there is a lot of warnings how dangerous they are with many deaths etc in Thailand. I have motorbike license, but don't ride much currently. So I think I can handle one myself no problem.

So what do you think? If riding at slow speeds and not doing stupid things, is it worth the risk? Looks like there is not much fast moving traffic on the island near the beach areas.
    For me, scooters is part of the holiday......I very much look forward to renting one.
    The Honda PSX are great.
    And just take it very slow and make sure you get a reliable helmet

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I was going to recommend kata beach resort too.

Also the Nai Harn. Great beach at your doorstep, ao sane with its great snorkeling and thai restaurant a stone throw away. Rawai and chalong for bars, restaurants and piers for island adventures.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 5th November 2016 at 16:01.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast