Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By supersub
  • 1 Post By RakThai

Thread: Done with Patong. Where next?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar

Done with Patong. Where next?

As you know I've been to Phuket a number of times and I've always stayed in Patong. I've only stayed there due to nightlife but after this last trip I can safely say I won't be staying there again. Nightlife has gone downhill and I think I'm bored of getting smashed every day. I think I'm bored of Patong now so next time I want to do something different and I need your help in suggesting a new area on the west side to fit the below requirements.

- good beach with hotels nearby. By good beach I mean good for relaxing on, a swim, nice water visibility.
    - some bars nearby. I don't mean like Bangla, but more small bars that show football and/or have live music.
    - plenty of restaurants. I mostly eat local food when there but do like the odd pizza now and again.
    - thai massage
    - night market/street food.

I was thinking Kata or Karon would probably fit the bill but want to see what other options are available. I was also looking at Surin beach but I'm not sure what the range of food and bar options are around there or even night market. The beach looks nice though especially the small private-not private part of the beach in front of Amanpuri. Kamala?

Can anyone suggest any others please?

Pattaya.... 55

OK... you been to Samui?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Yes went there for 10 days a few years ago. Was nice but I plan to hit some islands on the West side to want to check out other parts of Phuket.
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    From your own trip reports I get the impression that you enjoy traveling, seeing new places and meet different circumstances. And preferably with female company.
    You are not scared to get out of your comfort zone, but like the occasional predictability of a tourist hang out..

If true, I think it's time for a road trip! Or a backpack-like trip if you're not comfortable driving..
    East side of Thailand is perfect for that, Bangkok, Si Racha, Pattaya, Rayong, Koh Samet, Chantaburi / Laem sing, Trat, Koh Chang.. Only trips in between of about 1 hour by bus..
    Other side of the gulf of Thailand works as well, BKK, Cha-am/ Huahin, Prachuap kiri kan, Chumpon, and from there either further south along the coast or Island hopping. Or even crossing over to Krabi, Khao sok and Phang na.. After that Phuket is near..555

What part of your last trip did you enjoy most? Chiang Rai or Phuket?
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    As you know I've been to Phuket a number of times and I've always stayed in Patong. I've only stayed there due to nightlife but after this last trip I can safely say I won't be staying there again. Nightlife has gone downhill and I think I'm bored of getting smashed every day. I think I'm bored of Patong now so next time I want to do something different and I need your help in suggesting a new area on the west side to fit the below requirements.

- good beach with hotels nearby. By good beach I mean good for relaxing on, a swim, nice water visibility.
    - some bars nearby. I don't mean like Bangla, but more small bars that show football and/or have live music.
    - plenty of restaurants. I mostly eat local food when there but do like the odd pizza now and again.
    - thai massage
    - night market/street food.

I was thinking Kata or Karon would probably fit the bill but want to see what other options are available. I was also looking at Surin beach but I'm not sure what the range of food and bar options are around there or even night market. The beach looks nice though especially the small private-not private part of the beach in front of Amanpuri. Kamala?

Can anyone suggest any others please?
    I like Kamala but I think you'd be bored stiff there after a bit

Why don't you go to Lamai? What you just explained is exactly what Lamai is........and you can pop over to Chawaeng a couple nights if you really want a bit more action

SS has been to Krabi I think... and Samui might restrict the island-hopping...

What about NZ?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    From your own trip reports I get the impression that you enjoy traveling, seeing new places and meet different circumstances. And preferably with female company.
    You are not scared to get out of your comfort zone, but like the occasional predictability of a tourist hang out..

If true, I think it's time for a road trip! Or a backpack-like trip if you're not comfortable driving..
    East side of Thailand is perfect for that, Bangkok, Si Racha, Pattaya, Rayong, Koh Samet, Chantaburi / Laem sing, Trat, Koh Chang.. Only trips in between of about 1 hour by bus..
    Other side of the gulf of Thailand works as well, BKK, Cha-am/ Huahin, Prachuap kiri kan, Chumpon, and from there either further south along the coast or Island hopping. Or even crossing over to Krabi, Khao sok and Phang na.. After that Phuket is near..555

What part of your last trip did you enjoy most? Chiang Rai or Phuket?
    SS IMO Rakthai advise is spot on. Get out and about. If you have a suitable girl you know take her along. Done this sort of trips a few times always a great way to see the place. Don't plan too much just go with the flow and book as you arrive.

Another option is explore other country's. Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines all has some nice places.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Having driven a lot in Thailand, I'd advise against a driving roadtrip because I just don't think it's that pretty driving in most of the country and I think that wears you down.

Now, I've never driven up North and I hear some of the drives are very nice.

But for the most part, I've found driving in Thailand very dull to downright ugly in most parts
    So if you are doing long drives with not much beauty to look at, you can get driving fatigue quickly

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    So if you are doing long drives with not much beauty to look at, you can get driving fatigue quickly
    Certainly if you're accustomed to sleeping during the day
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Hey SS, why not try Kata / Karron . They are big enough to keep you busy for Sun , Sand , Bars , Putchie , Good food and a big selection of Hotels in all price ranges. Closer to Rawai and Dive boats . Plenty to do there.