Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Avoid Patong 12-29th Oct

  1. #21
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    But that would only be their own fault for not checking. This knowledge has been pretty much well known for at least 6 months. There has always been an afternoon closure for buying booze in 7-11 and big market stores.
    I highly doubt the average tourist to Thailand would have the slightest clue about this when booking a trip
    Where would it come up?

  2. #22
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,316
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I highly doubt the average tourist to Thailand would have the slightest clue about this when booking a trip
    Where would it come up?
    Everyone I know who travels over seas does a lot of research before leaving. I'm sure that travel agencies would warn them about the King's funeral and other general information. Anyone visiting a foreign country for the first time is foolish if they don't do a little research before going. It is the same with a simple fishing trip in British Columbia. I get 10 emails every day asking for information about fishing in BC. I answer every one.

  3. #23
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Everyone I know who travels over seas does a lot of research before leaving. I'm sure that travel agencies would warn them about the King's funeral and other general information. Anyone visiting a foreign country for the first time is foolish if they don't do a little research before going. It is the same with a simple fishing trip in British Columbia. I get 10 emails every day asking for information about fishing in BC. I answer every one.
    If a person doesn't use a travel agent....again where would they find that info?

    I travel all over the world and I wouldn't think to look for something like
    I research restaurants/bars, the history of the place and things to do during the day

    Those searches as a new tourist to Thailand wouldn't come with the closures

    Even if I saw a story on the Kong's ceremonies I wouldn't know the ramifications and doubt I'd read enough to know there were closures

  4. #24
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Geographicaly, Cali!
    Posts
    3,347
    What's a travel agent?
    Ian Forbes and dave01 like this.

  5. #25
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,940
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    What's a travel agent?
    someone who pretends to be helpful and considerate while they clean out your wallet?
    PeteGill and Ian Forbes like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  6. #26
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,327
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    What's a travel agent?
    They used to puck up rotary phones when you called 5555

  7. #27
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,316
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    If a person doesn't use a travel agent....again where would they find that info?

    I travel all over the world and I wouldn't think to look for something like
    I research restaurants/bars, the history of the place and things to do during the day

    Those searches as a new tourist to Thailand wouldn't come with the closures

    Even if I saw a story on the Kong's ceremonies I wouldn't know the ramifications and doubt I'd read enough to know there were closures
    You are forgetting that this forum is like a travel agency. I've seen you and a dozen other members here ask questions about proposed trips. As I already said, I get at least 10 emails every day asking what the fishing is like in various areas of BC.

    For a small fee, travel agents can arrange trips and assure personal choice in plane seating, and good plane connections, and without any screw ups. Once you've traveled often enough then arranging a trip becomes second nature. I've screwed up a few times myself to know their value.

  8. #28
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    You are forgetting that this forum is like a travel agency. I've seen you and a dozen other members here ask questions about proposed trips. As I already said, I get at least 10 emails every day asking what the fishing is like in various areas of BC.

    For a small fee, travel agents can arrange trips and assure personal choice in plane seating, and good plane connections, and without any screw ups. Once you've traveled often enough then arranging a trip becomes second nature. I've screwed up a few times myself to know their value.
    But forums are mostly for well seasoned travellers
    Just thinking of all the guys I work....I'd highly doubt that any of them would do that sort of research

    And look at the makeup of this forum
    It's almost exclusively guys involved with Thai girls, expats or guys who visit Thailand frequently

    I go to a different country almost every year and do tons of research but I don't go on forums and I certainly don't read their newspapers beforehand so I'd never come upon something like this mourning period

    And when you think about it.....how much would this mourning period really affect the average traveller that is going to Thailand not involved in p4p

    A lot would be just as happy drinking/eating at their hotel
    The young farang kids stick to places like Khao San Rd which I bet have plenty of places to find a drink

  9. #29
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post

    (snip)

    For a small fee, travel agents can arrange trips and assure personal choice in plane seating, and good plane connections, and without any screw ups. Once you've traveled often enough then arranging a trip becomes second nature. I've screwed up a few times myself to know their value.
    Yeah I can do all that... I have done many trips for myself as well as for mates, and haven't managed to bugger things up....Most people I know book their own flights/acc these days... it is very simple thing to do.
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

  10. #30
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,940
    Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Most people I know book their own flights/acc these days... it is very simple thing to do.
    cheap too. i've rarely paid more than $400 for a round trip Oz-LOS in the last 10 years.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  11. #31
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    cheap too. i've rarely paid more than $400 for a round trip Oz-LOS in the last 10 years.
    You guys are lucky. It's more like $1200 return from Canada to Bangkok and that is with the Cheaper Airlines like Air China. The best price I could get with Cathay Pacific was $1800. EVA air was similar. It is the flight connections that are of most interest to me. I'll never fly with China Eastern airlines again after all their multi-screw ups.

    It is about a 13- 14 hour flight from the west coast of North America to somewhere in China, and then another 4 or 5 hours to Bangkok, and another hour to Chiang Mai. But you can wait anywhere up to 8 hours between flights. You are lucky if you can get only 2 hours between flight changes.

  12. #32
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,940
    ^ booked online?
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  13. #33
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,327
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    You guys are lucky. It's more like $1200 return from Canada to Bangkok and that is with the Cheaper Airlines like Air China. The best price I could get with Cathay Pacific was $1800. EVA air was similar. It is the flight connections that are of most interest to me. I'll never fly with China Eastern airlines again after all their multi-screw ups.

    It is about a 13- 14 hour flight from the west coast of North America to somewhere in China, and then another 4 or 5 hours to Bangkok, and another hour to Chiang Mai. But you can wait anywhere up to 8 hours between flights. You are lucky if you can get only 2 hours between flight changes.
    1800 is flying from Victoria?

    Because if you book enough in advance you should be able to get Cathay anywhere from 1050-1200cad from YVR
    I'm flying absolute peak season on Cathay in December and got for 1200

    And the big thing with Cathay and EVA is they have great transit times....usually no more than 1hr or so

    So all in its about 17hours from YVR to BKK

  14. #34
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    You are forgetting that this forum is like a travel agency. I've seen you and a dozen other members here ask questions about proposed trips. As I already said, I get at least 10 emails every day asking what the fishing is like in various areas of BC.

    For a small fee, travel agents can arrange trips and assure personal choice in plane seating, and good plane connections, and without any screw ups. Once you've traveled often enough then arranging a trip becomes second nature. I've screwed up a few times myself to know their value.
    25 trips, but still have no clue when you can buy alcohol at a 7-11...

    First time I got denied, I just decided that any shop that wants to decide what I can and cannot do is not worthy of me..

    Local shops for me.. And 7 only when I can't buy the item I need anywhere else..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •