Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Avoid Patong 12-29th Oct

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

Avoid Patong 12-29th Oct

Entertainment venues have not been specifically ordered to close and no ban on the sale of alcohol has been issued, but nightlife businesses have been requested to ensure their operation is commensurate with the period of mourning, Weerawit Krueasombut, President of the Patong Entertainment Business Association (PEBA), told The Phuket News today (Oct 11).

“I have spoken with our members and asked them to close out of respect for the late King. I am willing to close my business on Oct 13, so that this road will be quiet,” Mr Weerawit said.
    “Everyone will understand as we know how the nation will feel on Friday. However, whether or not each venue will stay open or close remains the choice of the operator,” he added.

Phuket Governor Norraphat confirmed to The Phuket News yesterday (Oct 10), “I have requested workers in entertainment venues in Phuket to pay respect to His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej. They must follow the law.”

In response, Mr Weerawit told The Phuket News today that he was aware of Governor Norraphat’s request and that he would ensure that entertainment venues maintain respectfulness this month.
    “I also spoke with Patong Police yesterday,” he added.
    “We have to follow the Interior Ministry order, which is no dancing or shows along the street, or any kind of joyful activities until the mourning period is over,” Mr Weerawit said.
    “There will be no bar shows or dancing on poles. A-go-go bars, discotheques and live band bars must switch off their outside lights at midnight.
    “Live bands must be indoors with curtains or other coverings in place to make sure they cannot be seen from the street. Also, the staff must not dress up indecently. This will be in effect from Oct 12-29,” Mr Weerawit noted.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong...DpYd1Bf2k6e.99

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I am guessing this will apply to all other areas as well.

I'm in the country from 16th to 25th so i guess it will be a bit quieter than usual.

I would think many of the BG's and freelancers will use it to go home to the village for a break.

On the up side if they are only closing things from midnight it's not going to hurt me much as I don't have the stamina anymore to be doing all nighters.

Thanks for the thread and info SE.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    I am guessing this will apply to all other areas as well.

I'm in the country from 16th to 25th so i guess it will be a bit quieter than usual.

I would think many of the BG's and freelancers will use it to go home to the village for a break.

On the up side if they are only closing things from midnight it's not going to hurt me much as I don't have the stamina anymore to be doing all nighters.

Thanks for the thread and info SE.
    I think there will still be plenty of fun to be had

And getting drunk early and back in the room by 1am or so is alright by me

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Cops been around closing down Bars today in Phuket and Samui...its the usual bait and switch...Govt officials say no closures but must be respectful and then police come around and close them down at late notice...

I understand that it is the one year anniversary of the former King's death so why not just make it an official closure day ...I don't think anyone would have had a problem with that...its the changes of plans etc that cause the chaos...

Be prepared for more of the same from the 23rd until the 29th....they will close the bars at the drop of a hat if it suits their purposes
    Stillearly likes this.

13 October is now an official public holiday in commemoration of the King's death, it replaces the 5 May Coronation Day holiday

How private businesses use this day is optional, MsH company closed for the day but all back to work Saturday 14

23 October is similar, King Chulalongkorn Day (died 1910)

All public holidays are observed by government agencies, while the Bank of Thailand regulates bank holidays, which differ slightly from those observed by the government. Private businesses are required by the Labour Protection Act to observe at least 13 holidays per year, including National Labour Day, but may choose the other observances they follow
    Last edited by Hatari; 13th October 2017 at 21:47.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Cops been around closing down Bars today in Phuket and Samui...its the usual bait and switch...Govt officials say no closures but must be respectful and then police come around and close them down at late notice...

I understand that it is the one year anniversary of the former King's death so why not just make it an official closure day ...I don't think anyone would have had a problem with that...its the changes of plans etc that cause the chaos...

Be prepared for more of the same from the 23rd until the 29th....they will close the bars at the drop of a hat if it suits their purposes
    Pattaya GoGos only got told at 19:30 to close for the night, even Patpong in Bangkok was closed , they normally never shut

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I think there will still be plenty of fun to be had

And getting drunk early and back in the room by 1am or so is alright by me
    1am? I can be suitably sozzled and tucked up in bed by 10pm 555
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    1am? I can be suitably sozzled and tucked up in bed by 10pm 555
    I'm like Spaniard.....I don't eat dinner until 9pm the earliest 5555
    dave01 likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Thankfully, most of the nonsense will be over by the time I arrive in early November.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Nonsense? That sounds a bit disrespectful. Is it an absolute must to get shit faced?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Thankfully, most of the nonsense will be over by the time I arrive in early November.
    Nonsense?
    You talk like you love Thailand and then call this nonsense?

I'm not a Thai King genuflector like a lot of guys are(I actually don't care for him)
    But to call this mourning time "nonsense" means all you've done with your time in Thailand is bang hookers Ian
    You simply can't make that ststement and then say that you've paid one ounce of attention to Thai people in all the time you spent there

By far.....the most ignorant thing you've said on this forum, by a long shot
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 15th October 2017 at 06:13.
    supersub likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Nonsense?

I'm not a Thai King genuflector like a lot of guys are(I actually don't care for him)
    But to call this mourning time "nonsense" means all you've done with your time in Thailand is bang hookers Ian
    You simply can't make that ststement and then say that you've paid one ounce of attention to Thai people in all the time you spent there

After doing a fair bit of reading on the subject, I am in your corner on this...

I, like you, have been a pretty constant and harsh critic of the current government... and generally, still am....but I have to say, they have handled the whole "thing" pretty well IMO.

To belittle the genuine grief Thai People felt at the loss of the Boss, is ordinary form. I like to think Ian was just a bit careless in language, rather than showing real disdain for what has gone on the last year or so...
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Nonsense?

You totally missed my point... as per usual. It is the police bullshit that I always call nonsense to. Thai police work for only one program... how much money they can scam from everyone. They make up their own rules as they go along.

I have always had total respect for the King and his subjects that adored him. I've always followed Thai protocol, and when I entered any palace I was always suitably dressed.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    oops... 55

FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

You totally missed my point... as per usual. It is the police bullshit that I always call nonsense to. Thai police work for only one program... how much money they can scam from everyone. They make up their own rules as they go along.

I have always had total respect for the King and his subjects that adored him. I've always followed Thai protocol, and when I entered any palace I was always suitably dressed.
    My bad then and I apologize
    As you see, others took it as you calling the whole mourning period "nonsense "
    But I do apologize if that's not what you meant

My bad then and I apologize
    As you see, others took it as you calling the whole mourning period "nonsense "
    But I do apologize if that's not what you meant
    Apology accepted. I was referring to Bacwaan's comment post #4

I have 4 friends in Chiang Mai who have small businesses. Thai Police riding their little motorbike come around on a regular basis to collect their "vigorish", just like the old Italian Mafia did in eastern USA in the 1930s. To my knowledge, the Thai police do not provide any extra protection or help for this monthly payment. If you have a worker from a neighbouring country working for you then you have to pay extra.

Apology accepted. I was referring to Bacwaan's comment post #4
    I just think if you were coming to Thailand during that time you have to assume bars will be closed and if that's ok then you are happy to find places to serve drinks

These days, even though I like to drink a lot, that wouldn't bother me
    I'm just as happy drinking at my hotel
    Finding a restaurant that we can plop down and sit for a couple hours chatting and drinking
    And I think you'd be able to still find all that.....if just a bit more effort

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    only a problem if you frequent the bars.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    only a problem if you frequent the bars.
    Yup for sure

It's got to suck for someone landing and not having a clue it's going on

Yup for sure

It's got to suck for someone landing and not having a clue it's going on
    But that would only be their own fault for not checking. This knowledge has been pretty much well known for at least 6 months. There has always been an afternoon closure for buying booze in 7-11 and big market stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast