Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 86
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Driving MB in Phuket

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990

    Driving MB in Phuket

    I haven't driven a MB in ages in Phuket

    What is the situation like now?
    I will likely also be there during peak season and really enjoy driving all over the island

    Are there still many police stops?
    Am I ok with Canada car license only?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,717
    I rode last feb in Phuket, only went through one police block in 10 days down in Rawai, Janice was riding that day and we didnt get stopped.

    Phuket is easy to ride IMO but with your history on a bike maybe a jeep is better...55

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Not there !
    Posts
    7,636
    Biggest problem a LOT of people seem to overlook is insurance !

    I know as an Aussie, if you have a accident and need medical care outside Thailand and you haven't get a MC licence, the insurance companies will politely decline your application !

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post
    Biggest problem a LOT of people seem to overlook is insurance !

    I know as an Aussie, if you have a accident and need medical care outside Thailand and you haven't get a MC licence, the insurance companies will politely decline your application !
    I had an accident and they covered it
    It was "minor" though

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I rode last feb in Phuket, only went through one police block in 10 days down in Rawai, Janice was riding that day and we didnt get stopped.

    Phuket is easy to ride IMO but with your history on a bike maybe a jeep is better...55
    Rawai is a bit different than around Patong/Karon/Kamala

    Never that many stops around there

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    wollongong
    Posts
    3,134
    If you have a helmet on and have an international drivers licence , they have no cause to book you?
    Yes I know, TIT and all that 5555

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,717
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Rawai is a bit different than around Patong/Karon/Kamala

    Never that many stops around there
    We were staying in Patong, did daily trips to Phuket town. Never saw a rode block to we went down to Rawai for dinner one evening.

    I have never had a issue with police in Phuket. just lucky maybe.

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    We were staying in Patong, did daily trips to Phuket town. Never saw a rode block to we went down to Rawai for dinner one evening.

    I have never had a issue with police in Phuket. just lucky maybe.
    I've never really had an issue but been through tons of stops

    Last time I was in Phuket they were aggressively stopping people and immediately searching them before they could get off their bikes

    Obviously looking for something but it was quite off-putting

    I was driving a car so they just looked inside quick

    I don't have an International and just worried about the hassle

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    6,717
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I've never really had an issue but been through tons of stops

    Last time I was in Phuket they were aggressively stopping people and immediately searching them before they could get off their bikes

    Obviously looking for something but it was quite off-putting

    I was driving a car so they just looked inside quick

    I don't have an International and just worried about the hassle
    If you have nothing to hide you got nothing to worry about IMO.

    If you are worried about it can you get a international lic?

    Personly I dont bother with one, I did in the USA last year 1st time in a long time but the hire company even said then I didnt need it.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    New Zealand when home
    Posts
    814
    Insurance is a problem
    I get an endorsement on the policy for larger than 125cc bike.

    Always get an International Driving Licence for everywhere. Then you have legal permission to drive.
    All insurance policies have lots of small print but all require you are legally entitled to ride.

    In a dispute with an insurance company, they win by withholding the money.

    Traffic here is very heavy already and crazy driving by locals and tourists.
    We got knocked off our bike last year in Kathu, stopped, waiting for the traffic lights.
    Motorcycle Taxi, watching something else, cut across the road and ploughed into our back wheel and flattened us. Luckily no injury but of course he immediately took off. You need to be alert and competent and have a lot of luck.

    Often a police check in Kathu at the bottom of Patong Hill between 10am and 12 noon but just helmets & licences usually.

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    If you have nothing to hide you got nothing to worry about IMO.

    If you are worried about it can you get a international lic?

    Personly I dont bother with one, I did in the USA last year 1st time in a long time but the hire company even said then I didnt need it.
    I don't think you need IDL to drive in US

    I don't have anything to hide
    I just don't want the hassle

    And if they will be a stickler about IDL that will be a real pain

  12. #12
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,846
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

    And if they will be a stickler about IDL that will be a real pain
    Most cops (at a roadblock) will book you for driving without a licence in Phuket these days if you don't have one....

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    IDPs are quick and easy to get.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Not there !
    Posts
    7,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    IDPs are quick and easy to get.
    Yep - drop into any RACV shop in Aus, pay $30 and out the door !

  15. #15
    เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    7,138
    Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post
    Yep - drop into any RACV shop in Aus, pay $30 and out the door !

    More here in the west $40 or $50......cant remember exactly.....one of the reasons I now have a Thai Lic
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    IDPs are quick and easy to get.
    I didn't know that

    I.work right next to IBCB and it's not busy in the morning I will head over there

    Thanks guys

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Are all IDP the same?

    I assume I will just tell them I need it to drive a MB in Thailand?

    And then the Police accept all IDP from overseas countries?

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,014
    If you do not have a motorcycle endorsement do not ride a motorcycle. Easy. Your insurance will be void.
    Police love the IDP, lots of paper and stamps 555
    Zablive, Ian Forbes and TLandHim like this.

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    If you do not have a motorcycle endorsement do not ride a motorcycle. Easy. Your insurance will be void.
    Police love the IDP, lots of paper and stamps 555
    As I said
    I got into a MB accident in Thailand
    My insurance paid

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,932
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Are all IDP the same?

    I assume I will just tell them I need it to drive a MB in Thailand?

    And then the Police accept all IDP from overseas countries?
    it's International (IDP) so covers all countries.
    usually MiB will like to see a riders endorsement on it or your own licence.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •