Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By bacwaan
  • 1 Post By Minder
  • 1 Post By PatongBeachBoy

Thread: Managing Thai time

Foundation Member Cadet Gold

Managing Thai time

How have BMs dealt with this issue with their TGs?

I'm an impatient pr!ck at the best of times, so dealing with Thai time (when it happens, it happens, even if TG said in 30 minutes type scenario) is very frustrating. However, in all instances has been understandable as to why it took longer, but still frustrating.

Not a big issue when you are in holiday mode, but a killer when you are far away.

Any suggestions?

PS. Chok dee na is not a valid response!!!
    "Do not be afraid of death. Be afraid of the half-lived life!" Laird Hamilton

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    ^^^The PS is priceless.......Prior planning is a must otherwise i have found it to be a drama.
    Never rush them as i have found this is a fast way to a slow process.......If all else fails...Just say mai ben rai.5555555

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    take a course in herding cats

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    When in LOS I usually tell TG we go 9am when its 930am we are required, she is usually on time then, especially when we go to the Airport 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
    How have BMs dealt with this issue with their TGs?
    LMAO !!! Great question.....

A few quick thoughts on how I get thru the day.....

Lie about the start time / departure time for all flights, social events and appointments.

Set the alarm a minimum of one hour earlier than you would for yourself alone.

Raise children and draw on those experiences - deep breathing, counting to ten, blood pressure medication etc - as required.

Never expect any tasks assigned or undertaken by a Thai girl to be accomplished in a "normal" amount of time.

(I have seen Mrs M take over a minute to look at her wrist watch to check the time or several minutes to move a single plate of food from the breakfast bar to the kitchen table, I can circle an entire department store checking the prices and availability of numerous items and return to the entry to find Mrs M is still deciding which shopping basket she likes)

If it takes her an hour to select a small amout of vegetables - that is the price you pay for the final aharn aloi product.

Never allow her or her friends to "plan" your day out.

Enjoy
    contrarian likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Just dont change the the clocks for daylight savings time.....
    contrarian likes this.

Foundation Member Cadet Gold
    I used to change the time on my kids bedroom clock so that he would sleep in...maybe I should tamper with her watch...a bit hard from Oz though.
    "Do not be afraid of death. Be afraid of the half-lived life!" Laird Hamilton

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    I kept Nui on a pretty hectic schedule on this last trip, and I've already had comments about it, that she must have been ready to stab me, etc! 555 Actually, I did not find it too difficult, but maybe that is because I have raised three kids myself, two of which were boys who were definitely alarm clock challenged. I would always just give Nui a bit of a nudge, then go get ready ... shower, eat, whatever ... and let her rouse herself at her own speed. I did try pushing her once, and on that one occassion she was like a cat who's been backed into a corner!! 555 So generally I would give her a nudge to get well before she actually had to be ready, then let her set her own pace, with little reminders along the way.

One secret I found with Nui, that may not work on others, is that she loved to be tickled and it really got her going in the morning. Downside of that is that it sometimes meant that we did not get out of the room for another hour or so tho! 555
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    The same goes for distance. How far to uncle Ken Jai's house? O very far. Hop in the car and she sort of directs right is sometimes left and she is never wrong. 2 min later we arive. I thought you said it was far? Yes far too far to walk.

Learn to enjoy that we do not value time in the same way. Although sometimes frustrating you will find a way.................. It will rub off on you.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Time is but one aspect of a Thai making a trip from A to B.

For example, I know that a planned trip from point A to point B will take approximately 20 minutes.
    We need to be there at 9.30 and it is 8.40
    She says "How long we have honey?" I say 30 minutes MAX.
    Showered, powdered and ready for anything and "Ba?" at 9.16
    I say, "We can't possibly make it on time now".
    In the meantime she has had a phone call from a friend and on the way says "Can we visit her?" I say Fine, no problem. Except that in my mind this will be on the way back AFTER our meeting. (Which we are going to be late for).
    As we pass the street where friend lives she says "Honey you miss the turn".
    It seems that not only the timing has changed but so has the whole agenda for the morning.

At least she won't be late for the meeting with her friend..!

I go on alone and meet with my friend as planned. "G'day mate, sorry I'm late...Women eh...?, can't live with 'em can't live without 'em".(;-)
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?