The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Siam Legal

Thread: Marriage Process in Thailand

Siam Legal

Marriage Process in Thailand

Foreigners who want to get married always consider Thailand as one of their wedding destinations. This is because contracting marriage in Thailand is less complicated when compared to other countries. The easy and straightforward process of getting married in Thailand appeals most to foreigners.

While the marriage process is easy, parties to the marriage must still comply with certain requirements. Complying with these requirements makes the marriage legally binding. The most important of these requirements is the Thailand marriage registration. Without registration, the marriage is not legally recognized.

While registration is essential, compliance with other requirements, personal or documentary, is equally important.

Marriage between foreigners and/or Thais can be validly celebrated in Thailand. The requirements are simple and clear. Essentially, the parties must be of age, of sound mental capacity, must not be blood relatives within the prohibited degree and must be free to marry.

In addition, the following documents must be submitted:

For Thais:

1. Identification card
    2. House registration certificate
    3. Proof of divorce or spousal death, if applicable
    4. Presence of witnesses

For foreigners:

1. Copy of passport and arrival card
    2. Affidavit of marital status
    3. Copy of the affidavit of marital status with translation as approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Once all requirements have been complied with, the parties can proceed to the local district office known as an “amphur” or “khet”. This is where they make a public declaration before the district officer. This declaration serves as the parties’ consent to the marriage.

Public declaration may be made in any of the following ways:
    By both parties attaching their signatures;
    By having their names in a consent document duly signed by them; or
    By declaring that they take each other a husband and wife in the presence of at least two witnesses.

In sum, the processes involved for entering into an administrative marriage in Thailand may be completed in just five days. However, it may take longer if there is paperwork to be done at the parties’ respective embassies. But even with back-ups in paperwork, marriage in Thailand is usually faster than marriage processes elsewhere.

While marriage in Thailand is recognized abroad, it is best to engage the services of a lawyer before getting married. This is because certain matters must be taken into consideration like having a Thailand prenuptial agreement. Taking note of these matters is advantageous to the couple in the long run.

This article was provided by Siam Legal, an international law firm with offices in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Pattaya, Phuket, and Samui. Siam Legal publishes legal guides to marrying in Thailand on its website.

Siam Legal International
    Interchange 21 Building, 23rd Floor, 399 Sukhumvit Road
    North Klongtoey, Wattana, Bangkok 10110
    Tel: 662 259-8100

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I have heard that Prenuptial Agreements were not worth while getting as if it went to court it could be argued that the TG did not know what she was signing..... Or is this only if the prenupt was signed in a foreign Country?

Another thing that would be interesting to know would be how an Engagment would work to a Thai Person. Is it the same process as it is in a Western Country or do things change for an Engagment as well?

Good to have your services Siam Legal and sure your information will be extremely useful to many

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Yep this is the legal stuff but what about kneeling and Wai - ing for 3 hours?..... My TG's neice got hitched when I was there, they looked like they wanted to fall asleep, through "the service" at least the rest of us had a party and a chat.....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Three hours? They opted for the short ceremony..555
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I am very curious to know how the Marriage ceremony and process actually works. Never been to a Thai or Thai/Farang Wedding before...

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I have heard that Prenuptial Agreements were not worth while getting as if it went to court it could be argued that the TG did not know what she was signing..... Or is this only if the prenupt was signed in a foreign Country?

Another thing that would be interesting to know would be how an Engagment would work to a Thai Person. Is it the same process as it is in a Western Country or do things change for an Engagment as well?

Good to have your services Siam Legal and sure your information will be extremely useful to many
    Hi g4orce i actually put this to a lwyer who handled my divorce ,he told me there was no prescident to compare it against he said also that it probably wouldnt stand up in an australian court ,if you were really sneaky io suppose you could make your soon to be wife beleive that it would but she would no doubt see her own lawyer and he would pick it to peices .It is as i say you roll the dice and take your chances one day im gonna get that lucky seven.