Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: TG and driving licence

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

TG and driving licence

Noy just recently got her Drivers licence in Thailand but still has to wait a year before she can sit another test to drive internationally. My mum is about to buy a new car and is offering to give noy her old one as long as I can pay for a few minor repairs, renew rego and pay insurance. Its a great little Hyundai with just over 150,000 Km so a great first car. My question is if Noy was to go for her Learners here (Victoria) so she could practice driving would that effect her being able to transfer her Thailand Drivers licence to an Australia drivers licence if she was to become an Australian Resident?

Another thing, Noy also has a Motorcycle licence from Thailand does that mean sh coudl ride a motorcycle here now?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    G I have been told that a Thai licence is valid here for 12 months before required to take up an Australian license. This info provided by a Driving Instructor who said in my TG's case that she is now on her Log Book, can get her Thai license, come back here and log up the log book hours on that license. Hypothetically speaking of course 555

TG is going for Thai licensein Buriram today or tomorrow, so any tips pointers appreciated.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post

TG is going for Thai licensein Buriram today or tomorrow, so any tips pointers appreciated.
    Tell her to keep left and not hit anything.... this is the basis of all good driving 5555
    Arliss Michaels and Rivo like this.

G I have been told that a Thai licence is valid here for 12 months before required to take up an Australian license. This info provided by a Driving Instructor who said in my TG's case that she is now on her Log Book, can get her Thai license, come back here and log up the log book hours on that license. Hypothetically speaking of course 555

Sorry got no tips. Noy did the 6 day course which had 20 hours of driving lessons before sitting the test.

As for the Thai Licence being valid for 12 onths i would not have a clue and I guess it is going to be different in every state as well. I guess the best bet would be to give VicRoads (RTA) a call, I just did not want to wait in the que for hours 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Was just finishing at worlk this arvo and the phone ring ring hang up on my Lebara phone, then one minute laier on my Iphone, so thought better ring back soon sounds urgent. On on the phone, saying I'm excited, exhausted, nervous and have a headache, you know why ? I say you have just done your driving test and you have passed? "How you know that, who tell you ?" 555 No I say just a guess because I can tell how excited you are on the phone. On and her Mum set off from the village at 6.30am this morning heading to Buriram 65km away did the mandatory lesson in the morning for Bike and Car, then written test and then the Driving Tests in the afternoon - all passed !!!. When on the phone they were waiting to picked up by Car to return home. Unfortunatley if I got story right could not actually get her printed licenses as it was too late in the day and has to go all the way back tomorrow to get, this is a family without a mode of transport full stop. Determined little minx she is, very proud of her, but do recall in a haze and reminded of it saying that if she got her license I would purchase some type of vehicle - does a pushbike count?
    PatongBeachBoy and Changone like this.

Good stuff congrats to On. Noy had the same issue with her Licence Card. SHe had to go back the next day to get it. I had no idea what the reason behind it was...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Congrats to On, and yes she does seem a determined little minx, a very good trait in a GF.
    I bet your feeling so proud, your head will have trouble getting thru the door !!! 555555
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Congrats to On, and yes she does seem a determined little minx, a very good trait in a GF.
    I bet your feeling so proud, your head will have trouble getting thru the door !!! 555555
    Rang later in the evening and On still on cloud 9, and thanking me for giving up so much of my time to teach her from never driving to now. I said it was a one and only will never teach anyone to drive again 555, so my success rate is 100%. Yes JC very determined in everything she does, keeps me on my toes.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    That really is an astounding effort by On....i can remember you writing about her 1st drive in your driveway, what 4 months ago? and now look!! ... and i also remember thinking wtf is he doing...55555 and what a mountain to climb.. so Kudos to you mate for making the effort as well....i not sure i would be so keen here on Sydney roads
    Arliss Michaels likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

I let Noy take my car for a short drive the other day. There was no one on the road and she is already licenced (In Thailand...) OMG, She has a lot to learn. Forgets to look at intersections, whats an indicator?, would not go over 40km/h, Turning was also an experience.... I did not expect her to be the best driver but from what I have seen, would have thought she had never driven before.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    would have thought she had never driven before.

Sounds exactly like most drivers I see in LOS 555.
    G4orce likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    My friends Thai wife has a Thai friend who is trying to pass her driving test in England. So far she has had countless lessons and she is about to sit her test for the 7th time! 555. She believes she is starting to get the hang of it, bless her.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    My friends Thai wife has a Thai friend who is trying to pass her driving test in England. So far she has had countless lessons and she is about to sit her test for the 7th time! 555. She believes she is starting to get the hang of it, bless her.
    If that was here that is $525 up in smoke so far

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    If that was here that is $525 up in smoke so far
    Or 15,000bht back home.... thats a sh1tload!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Mrs W for a girl who rides a bike like a demon, i would say the cross over to a car is not as easy as i would have thought....
    Arliss Michaels likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    TG obtained her licence recently in Thailand. Within the first 12 months, I think it is called a temporary licence.

Just spoke to Vic Roads and she is able to drive in Australia, and doesn't have to wait 12 months. I think I am happy about this.

Only conditions are:
    - the licence needs to be in English or accompanied with an official translation which you can get from the Thai embassy (whether there is enough in English on the actual licence is at the discretion of the police)
    - subject to any conditions imposed on her in Thailand (no more than 20 passengers in a 4 seater 555)

VicRoads mentioned I should also check with my insurance company regarding coverage. Didn't think of that. ##

The links is here for anyone interested:

Overseas drivers - licences : VicRoads

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas driver licence for as long as it is current providing it is in English or accompanied by an English translation or International Driving Permit. There is no requirement to get a Victorian driver licence.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Go to the little green box at right of this post click and they will do the translation for you ASAP very good value.
    Nomad likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Go to the little green box at right of this post click and they will do the translation for you ASAP very good value.
    Thanks Wabbits. From memory, her licence has a reasonable amount of English on the card (ie key information), so not sure I will need it translated. Will have a closer look when in LOS.

Cheers
    Nomad
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Thanks Wabbits. From memory, her licence has a reasonable amount of English on the card (ie key information), so not sure I will need it translated. Will have a closer look when in LOS.

Cheers
    Nomad
    You will i think unless there are a couple of version..

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    You will i think unless there are a couple of version..
    IMHO there is more than one version. The one you get after doing the test and paying the fee is in English. (Plastic card with Photo & DOB etc in English).
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast