Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By justcruzing1
  • 2 Post By Suttoh
  • 1 Post By justcruzing1
  • 1 Post By Gazmac

Thread: Consequences of Breaching an Engagement in Thailand

Siam Legal

Consequences of Breaching an Engagement in Thailand

An engagement in Thailand is usually coupled with the payment of Thai dowry which is locally known as Khongman and Sinsod. Khongman is property given by the future groom to his future bride to mark their engagement. On the other hand, Sinsod is property given by the future groom to his fiance’s parents in return for the lady’s acceptance of his offer of marriage.

The happening of the engagement itself does not give rise to an actionable wrong in case the marriage does not push through. In fact, any agreement between parties to pay a penalty in case of breach of the engagement is void. However, a party may be made to either return the dowry or pay compensation in case he or she commits a material breach that may make him or her an "unsuitable" person to marry.

Examples of these circumstances that that will result in forfeiture of the dowry or payment of compensation include causing injury to the body or reputation of the other party, engaging in sexual activities with other persons after betrothat, or any other similar acts of gross misconduct that shall cause the other party and the family to suffer great shame.

The party aggrieved shall have six months from the time of date the breach was committed to go to court and file for compensation against the other.

This post was provided by Siam Legal, an international law firm with offices in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Pattaya, Phuket, and Samui. Siam Legal publishes guides to marrying in Thailand on its website.

Siam Legal International
    Interchange 21 Building, 23rd Floor, 399 Sukhumvit Road
    North Klongtoey, Wattana, Bangkok 10110
    Tel: 662 259-8100

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    How would this work in a Thai Court with a Farang involved? As we have all seen there are different rules for Farang as there are for the Thai people

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    How would this work in a Thai Court with a Farang involved? As we have all seen there are different rules for Farang as there are for the Thai people
    I guess that a lack of response thereafter means farang is up a gum tree without a paddle...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    OP seems to be a load of crap!

never heard of sin sot being paid on agreement to marry/engagement....return if it doesn't go ahead...pfffttt!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Might have changed in 4 years, cooed and that.

I got married, never paid sin sod, did however buy a block of land and put a house on it, I would presume that if things ever went pair shaped, I would lose all that but I understood this when I bought the land in the first place, Falang never go well in Thai court process

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Sin Sot was never a part of Thai culture, it was bought to Thai by the Chinese and adopted around 100 yrs ago.
    Suttoh and robpruit like this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

An ex Thai gf wanted 500000 baht as sin sot, need I say why she is ex, however my wife and her family have never mentioned nor have I, It seems I provide well enough for our kids and the family, I remember a BM telling me years ago that it wasn't a traditional thing
    justcruzing1 and robpruit like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Sutto that is very much the point.If your a newbie and just met the girl, in love and haven't melded with the family they are going to try it on. Who wouldn't?? you don't ask you don't get!!

as they say, marry the girl marry the family and that's why it is important to go meet the family and show who you are. And what you know or will acccept.
    Suttoh likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    I'm the same as sutto, no Sin Sod , not even a mention of it , however have built a house etc 555
    Suttoh likes this.
    !qq!

Well its certainly true that you marry the family, I sometimes think I've married the village, however, its all good and I wouldn't swap the situation, get along well with everyone

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    OP seems to be a load of crap!

never heard of sin sot being paid on agreement to marry/engagement....return if it doesn't go ahead...pfffttt!
    Khongman payment on engagement plus Sin Sod on marriage?

Typical Siam Legal BS drumming up business.
    Have you read there Immi/Visa site - chock a block with inaccuracies.

Banned
    ...........removed............
    Last edited by Fionn; 26th May 2015 at 12:53.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Did you do this Fionn?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Like so many laws and rules in Thailand it is all based on simple ideals. In actual practise it is something entirely different. A young woman prior to marriage is "supposed" to be virginal and the sexual union between the couple comes after the wedding. We all know how well that works. If the girl/woman has already been with another man, or already has a child, then she is considered "soiled goods" and no longer "marketable" by the family... no sinsod. It's all old fashioned and times are changing. It is like the young women who move away from home to Pattaya or other tourist destinations and suddenly start making good money which they send home each month. Nobody asks how the money is being earned.