Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Teaching a TG to read English, any suggestions?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Teaching a TG to read English, any suggestions?

So Noy is actually eager to start learning to read and write English and was wondering if anyone has any tips of how I could start this for her. I looked into schooling here but it is very hard to get a non-resident into a course that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Noy knows the Alphabet and a few very basic words but that's about it. Any one got any ideas of where we can start from here? Just to add as well, she can't read and write Thai so Learning English for Thai books are not an option...

From what I have experienced she is quick to pick things up and remember them so I am hoping once she has got the basics down she will be able to learn through everyday activity. I also understand that once/if she gets approved for the PMV she will be given 500 hours to learn English. I don't want to have to wait that long so the sooner she can start the better

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    There's a community centre in town that offer a basic course... could be a good start
    I cant tell you the name of it, but every now and then I get a brochure in the mailbox.... go to the council offices and ask there (up on top of the hill behind the high school)

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    There's a community centre in town that offer a basic course... could be a good start
    I cant tell you the name of it, but every now and then I get a brochure in the mailbox.... go to the council offices and ask there (up on top of the hill behind the high school)
    Thats the way PBB, most councils provide an cultural support center, and they run English clases for 1/2 a day, cost $10 a day. At least that was what it was here in Townsville for Jeab.

Just be warned it can be very frustrating and difficult and she will probably want too give up after the first week, Jeab did. I think it may depend on if your can get her in at the start of the program, that was what made it hard for Jeab, she came in in the middle and they were talking pronouns etc it was all double dutch to her.

Also worth checking the Thai comunity, around a university. Many local groups hold classes at Uni or Tech centres at night. If she has Thai's with her to talk to she won't feel so isolated.

Good luck, hope you find something reasonable.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Where else but Aunty?

There's a bear in there
    And a chair as well
    There are people with games
    And stories to tell
    Open wide
    Come inside
    It's Playschool

[/I]Playschool - Home - ABC For Kids
    Life is the unexpected ...

I did see that and gave them a call but they told me it was very expensive as she was not an Aussie Resident and the Government "discount" would not be included. Was looking at over $1000 for 3 months of which Noy could only partake in one of those months

Must be a different course than the one I looked at.... If I remember rightly it is up Toomuc valley rd.

Must be a different course than the one I looked at.... If I remember rightly it is up Toomuc valley rd.
    Yeah is a different one, I was looking at this one in Henry St
    Living Learning Pakenham : Training, Activities, Accredited Courses & Skills

You might find more if you look down Dandy way or even Springvale

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Where else but Aunty?

There's a bear in there
    And a chair as well
    There are people with games
    And stories to tell
    Open wide
    Come inside
    It's Playschool

[/I]Playschool - Home - ABC For Kids
    Dao actually picked up so much from this. She was taking care of a neighbours kids for Mr C Ash. She will still watch many children shows.

Temple in Brisbane offers English (Basic)& free and Thai for Farang. Explore should be better in Melbourne with a larger community.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    So Noy is actually eager to start learning to read and write English and was wondering if anyone has any tips of how I could start this for her. I looked into schooling here but it is very hard to get a non-resident into a course that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Noy knows the Alphabet and a few very basic words but that's about it. Any one got any ideas of where we can start from here? Just to add as well, she can't read and write Thai so Learning English for Thai books are not an option...

From what I have experienced she is quick to pick things up and remember them so I am hoping once she has got the basics down she will be able to learn through everyday activity. I also understand that once/if she gets approved for the PMV she will be given 500 hours to learn English. I don't want to have to wait that long so the sooner she can start the better
    oopsss sorry,
    Last edited by Minder; 21st January 2012 at 02:03. Reason: :)
    Life is the unexpected ...

Mrs M.
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post

[SIZE="3"]Sorry G4, I have missed this thread. Do you think learning by some websites could help? I have found one here. And I am sure there are many more.

Learn English Online - Free EFL/ESL English Lessons
    [/SIZE]

Thanks Mrs M that is a great site and I will pass it on to Noy