The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Getting Married in Thailand

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Behave.... 555

I'd love to have an intellectual discussion on this... you know. About why we as humans feel the need to be with only one person. Because if you look at it non-emotionally, it seems quite inefficient for the continuation of the human species. And yet... most of us crave it. Even me... but why?
    We yearn for what we don't have anymore....our Mommies..55
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    We yearn for what we don't have anymore....our Mommies..55
    5555555.... now we're getting to the nitty gritty...

I'll get my jets warmed up...

Is Monogamy Natural for Humans? - DivineCaroline

There are three types of monogamy scientists now refer to based on their animal studies.

Sexual monogamy - the practice of having sex with only one mate at a time.

Social monogamy - when animals form pairs to mate and raise their offspring but still have flings on the side. (extra pair copulation in science talk)

Genetic Monogamy - when DNA testing confirms that a female’s offspring all come from one father.

For us human beings, social and sexual monogamy generally go together. This is not always so in other species. Studies now estimate that 90 percent of all birds are socially monogamous, living and raising young together, but frequently having sex with other partners.

As scientists continue to uncover clues about why certain animals stay loyal to a partner, the underlying reason for monogamy remains an open question. The most commonly accepted explanation is that monogamy evolved in situations where young are more likely to survive if both parents are involved in raising them. This might help explain why humans tend to be monogamous.

By nature it seems that humans are naturally polygamous. Although polyandry, a marriage of one woman to many men is rare, polygyny, the marriage of one man to many women is widely practiced in human societies. Humans, in fact, possess certain characteristics typical of non-monogamous species. Monogamous species are also monomorphic – meaning both males and females are the same size. Polygamous species are dimorphic- the male is larger than the female. Guess what comes next. Because human males are typically 10 percent taller and 20 percent heavier than females, it seems that humans have been mildly polygamous throughout history.

Since it is not natural for humans and our instinctual desires have a tendency to lead us astray, we have a responsibility to put in a conscious effort to practice what we have committed to. Monogamy requires work. If we continue to pretend it’s natural, it’s easier to be led down the path that often leads to infidelity.

Via Is Monogamy Natural for Humans? - Page 2 - DivineCaroline
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    All this scientific research on Animals only goes so far and doesn't translate literally to humans because we have the conscious ability to reflect on our actions. In other words we have the ability to ignore our genetic predisposition in favour of a newly synthesised alternative, which will in time be reflected in our genetic code. Social conditioning? Again, just a part of it but as with any human development it is a moving feast, and a fast moving one at that.
    Different social conditions call for different human responses.
    For example, After the Black Death killed a big percentage of normally healthy human stock, social mores were temporarily shelved in favour of building up the population, simply because they were needed to ensure economic and social continuity.
    In the 1950's however nothing could have been further from peoples minds, yet we still had the Baby boom.
    Could this shift toward a higher moral standard have been a response to humanity having plunged itself to previously unimaginable moral depths during the struggle to survive a world war? Or did they all just miss their mommies...?
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

^Good point. The AIDs scare of the 80's and 90's may have set us back a bit. But for how long? Will free love explode again? Outside the West, Polygamy is rife... monogamy is not natural. So maybe social conditioning in a Western sense as you say...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    The original post I found really helpful, thanks again for your time.

Au and I will tie the knot so to speak officially soon.

Our intention was to do it this trip.

We had long discussions about it and I vested in her the responsibility of researching what was needed so we could get it underway fairly soon aftery arrival.

Suffice to say... she failed and typically it is now somehow my fault 555.

It frustrates the sh1t out of me sometimes, the lack of organisation / naivety but I love her and appreciate that she is busy with helping mum run the shop and more importantly is raising our daughter.

Consequently I shall return to NZ single again and she will endure the odd question along the lines... Why he not marry you again blah blah blah
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Ah no ! Not happy man now !
    Hey one thing i will add , when you go to the Amphor to register the marriage , ask them for a copy of the certificate in English as well ! They will give it to you for free ! If you don't ask for it , you wont get one ! You will only get one in Thai Script , which means you have to go back there at a later time to get one . You will need it for your Partner/marriage visas ! That can be a costly exercise if you don't do it at the time as translation costs in your own country are not cheap !
    crispy and Cuzzy like this.
    !qq!

You can always do the registry office marraige (Local Amphor Office ) and at least get the ball rolling and do the ceremonial one when ever she gets her shite together 555. The Amphur registry is the only legal one in Thailand ! Buhdist or western celebrant ones are not ! You will still need to go do it at an office , which only takes a few minutes, its fill in appropriate paperwork . (obviously if you have all the neccesary Thai legal papers done )
    !qq!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    You can always do the registry office marraige (Local Amphor Office ) and at least get the ball rolling and do the ceremonial one when ever she gets her shite together 555. The Amphur registry is the only legal one in Thailand ! Buhdist or western celebrant ones are not ! You will still need to go do it at an office , which only takes a few minutes, its fill in appropriate paperwork . (obviously if you have all the neccesary Thai legal papers done )
    I also had to go to the US Embassy 1st to fill out an affidavit i wasn't always married and even afterwards had to file the marriage at Foreign Affairs

Cadet Gold
    I had forgotten all about this thread as I haven't really been on here for a while ,well I was engaged last year in june and will be getting married in oct next year on the 29 .My girl ahs booked reception /wedding ceremony hall at a monks hospital in Bangkok not to far from her room and within easy reach for her workmates and family ,I have been doing some research and I am confused as to what actually happens,as far as I am aware you have the ceremony then reception ad the next day go to the amphor office to register the marriage (jump in gary when ever you feel ) I am hopeing to take her to singapore for our honeymoon but we will see how things pan out .I have to get a freedom to mary certificate from the Australian embassy so I believe to say I am not married (as if you would want 2 wives) and appernty I don't need to make an appointment but this has to be translated into thai from English at a cost hmmm .Everything costs anyone have any other comments or suggestions and don't say don't get married hahahaha !

If you have been married before , you need a copy of divorce papers & a sat dec from your country embassy both translated into Thai and certified that they genuine. Take to the Thai govt office of foreign affairs I think it is , they give you a certified letter to take to amphor office to get married
    crispy likes this.
    !qq!

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    I had forgotten all about this thread as I haven't really been on here for a while ,well I was engaged last year in june and will be getting married in oct next year on the 29 .My girl ahs booked reception /wedding ceremony hall at a monks hospital in Bangkok not to far from her room and within easy reach for her workmates and family ,I have been doing some research and I am confused as to what actually happens,as far as I am aware you have the ceremony then reception ad the next day go to the amphor office to register the marriage (jump in gary when ever you feel ) I am hopeing to take her to singapore for our honeymoon but we will see how things pan out .I have to get a freedom to mary certificate from the Australian embassy so I believe to say I am not married (as if you would want 2 wives) and appernty I don't need to make an appointment but this has to be translated into thai from English at a cost hmmm .Everything costs anyone have any other comments or suggestions and don't say don't get married hahahaha !
    We used and agency that was outside the US embassy and it was well worth the 5k we paid them.
    They took care of all the paperwork, they went to the Foreign Affairs office for me(I didn't need to go) and they were well known at thr Amphur so we went straight into to see the official and didn't have to wait what seemed a pretty decent waiting period
    They did all the translation and had our wedding certificate ready for us at 5pm that day

That's pretty much the same as me ! Well worth it !
    !qq!

Thanks guys... good info
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Cadet Gold
    Hi guys ok if you are an US citizen but I am an Australian ,ill have to look at my options when I get there .The stat dec will cost me 20 dollars au then the translation costs me about the same then something else and something else and the Australian embassy cant recommend any translating service for fear of being sued or some crap .It is very confusing but I will sort it out when I get there I have the basics so it wont be to hard I hope . I have divorce papers from the previous marriage but I don't know if they want to see the other papers as well or just the last one I may have to ring them as time gets closer .

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Hi guys ok if you are an US citizen but I am an Australian ,ill have to look at my options when I get there .The stat dec will cost me 20 dollars au then the translation costs me about the same then something else and something else and the Australian embassy cant recommend any translating service for fear of being sued or some crap .It is very confusing but I will sort it out when I get there I have the basics so it wont be to hard I hope . I have divorce papers from the previous marriage but I don't know if they want to see the other papers as well or just the last one I may have to ring them as time gets closer .
    I don't know if if can find it but I will search for the agency I used.
    It really is the way to go and saves you a ton of time and they do everything right
    crispy likes this.

Have a look at my original post ! It's all spelt out and also an agency 300 meters fro. The Aussie embassy
    crispy likes this.
    !qq!

All up it only cost me around 200 aud and that was for translators govt stamps embassy and express couriers and then couriers to Phuket
    Last edited by Gazmac; 25th November 2016 at 22:24.
    !qq!

Cadet Gold
    thamks gazmac I should have read your post properly sorry about that .

I've had a very good chat with a guy at home. He said it's easy as.

Next trip now....

We are off to KK then Nakhon Phanom for a few days.
    Gazmac and crispy like this.

Cadet Gold
    Hi gazmac just checked the shopping list now the new prices have been installed ,turnbull will fix his budget one way or another at our expence .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast