Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By kaptainrob
  • 3 Post By Arliss Michaels
  • 3 Post By jontymate
  • 2 Post By Chob

Thread: Flies

Flies

My wife, Jo, can be a real character ... funny as ...!

She excels at fly-swatting. At home in Don Kaeo she'd spend hours with a bamboo swat and no doubt reduced all of Isaan's fly population for decades to come.

I came to look upon it as 'sport', joining in the thrill of the kill a few times.

Tesco's Fly Spray was very effective. I'd spray a few puffs around the house .... but Jo continued in her pursuit of the (now) lethargic flies claiming "look look, fly maeow maeow (drunk)" .... BANG! ... "aha gotcha!"

Porr made bamboo swats to Jo's spec ... they had to be strong to survive her heavy hand! Trouble was, she'd splatter the bloody things all over otherwise clean tiles and go through a box of tissues wiping up the little messes. I used to pull her up after repeated make-sure-kill-hits saying, "honey, its DEAD already... when you see it's eyeballs coming out it's asshole .... its DEAD, ok!"

In Jo's sport of swatting flies this has now been modified and her catch-cry is ... "... aha, I see you ... I keel you poo-poooo" BANG!

We don't use a lot of insecticide.
    wabbits, Spot and Cilla like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Beware the ass-about-face fly..... that still flies...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    When TG here over Summer, I let a fly in, and then was balled out for spraying Fly Spray, so I asked well how are you going to get rid of it then. There came no reply other than for her to pick up a Rubber Band and shoot it dead from four paces with her first shot 555.
    wabbits, Quarky and Gazmac like this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    When TG here over Summer, I let a fly in, and then was balled out for spraying Fly Spray, so I asked well how are you going to get rid of it then. There came no reply other than for her to pick up a Rubber Band and shoot it dead from four paces with her first shot 555.
    They learn all sorts of tricks in Isaan, in between sleeping, eating and watching Korean movies. 555
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    New game for Olympic. I cheat have electronic bat zap one for fly and husband be naughty.
    Quarky, Spot and Nomad like this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    New game for Olympic. I cheat have electronic bat zap one for fly and husband be naughty.
    Oi ... no cheating! Australian flies very BIG. You must train with rubber band or stick. Only use zapper if Jonty bad sami.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I am constantly amazed how few flies there are in Phuket.
    You may see one ever couple of weeks , and to have one of the little annoying pricks continually land on you is a real novelty.

They are so bad in Australia that its the first thing I think of when thinking about home.
    Flies that you swipe at that immediately return to your eyes or ears.
    Flies that nearly make you have accidents.
    I hate the buggers.

PS My tg hates me spraying anything in the house BTW. Our main enemy here is 'mot' ( ants ).
    Sydney and Spot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    You may see one ever couple of weeks , and to have one of the little annoying pricks continually land on you is a real novelty.

They are so bad in Australia that its the first thing I think of when thinking about home.
    I hate the buggers.

PS My tg hates me spraying anything in the house BTW. Our main enemy here is 'mot' ( ants ).
    One can't escape flies in Isaan although they're no where as bad as Australia. I recall cruising ~ 7nm offshore (almost out of sight of land) from Rocky and having my yacht 'black' with flies... they'd been swept offshore with strong Westerlies and landed on the first solid object.

Jo dislikes spray also ... very sensitive to smells and hates using chemicals. The fly-plague only lasted 24hrs... GONE! Ants are almost non-existent in the mooban, but we did have those little bitey ones in the apartment. Bee (neighbour) had a gnuu visit the other day ... harmless NV, fortunately but Lew has seen cobra's.
    Cheers, Rob.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post

I hate the buggers.

Thats the one i havent being able to work out.......is it just me but last time i was in bkk i am walking along the road,h its a hot sticky night , there is food out on the street everwhere but NO FLIES .....if you tried to sell food out on the street here in Aus and actuallly display you food out on a counter ....no way !!....the flies would literally be flying off with your product down the road, or more to be more truthfully 13 flies would be gorging themsleves on your product right in front of your eyes..

So why in bkk with so much heat, so many smells and so much food out in the open but not one fly did land on me ???
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Ever notice how flies only turn up when you hands are busy......

Do you ever realise the face you make when trying to blow them away......

We were at a fire back in the day when you had to camp out and mobile kitchens were brought in and you ate in a tent...... Seen it a Couple of times, tired and cranky blokes wanting a feed just sprayed thier tucker with the Aerogaurd. Between waving thier knives and forks everywhere and trying to get the food from the plate to thier mouths..... They without thinking got the ****s and grabbed the can off the table.....

Or out shooting pigs and the cook decides to do a rabbit and duck stew with onions potatoes and carrot of course. "Hurry up Spot you miss out mate this is beautiful" I go in pick out and rabbit leg and put in on my plate and before my eyes its starts moving.... "Stop every body!!!!! Look in the pot!!!!" Hmmm Moving rice..........

Have a good weekend...
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    If the village people collect and bury their rubbish instead of chucking it off the verandah they'd have less flies.
    One of my pet hates.
    At least we have the excuse of more sheep/cattle than people crapping in the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    If the village people collect and bury their rubbish instead of chucking it off the verandah they'd have less flies.
    One of my pet hates.
    At least we have the excuse of more sheep/cattle than people crapping in the bush.
    Good points, zaB. In Jo's baan they have regular weekly rubbish collections and so THAT is not a problem. It's mainly due to the cattle which are brought 'home' each evening, dropping dung everywhere, that attracts flies.

One major problem though, is septic tanks, all of which must be pumped out periodically. The local 'waste-collector' then drives a K or 2 out into farmland or reserve and dumps his load ... everyone's load, actually!
    Cheers, Rob.