Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Dating a South Thai Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Damaz View Post
    COme to think of it I don't think so...she deffo use kah.
    Must be more of an Isaan or northern cultural thing. Seems to me, and I say this by observing Jo's reaction, there IS a 'class' structure in Th. Not just the obvious Chinese -v- Malay, but also North -v- South.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    NE wais as a greeting , thats it.
    She taught me to do so, and I always do.
    I never miss waiing the Immigration men when I arrive , yet again this week, late.
    They get a nose touching one , and a slight bow, so does Yai.
    Family get a chin touching one , but those under about 25 get a nod and smile.

It seems more used for official business down there , like , "I need something , can you help or contribute."

Its a pity , as I really like a wai , the kids in the 7/11 do it in Chiang Mai and it seems very culturally appropriate. Same same Issan, I saw it a lot there.

I think 'kah' and or 'jah' is used right across Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Yes , its very hard to generalize , but we humans tend to do so....
    Is any American the same as any Australian ?

I have tended to not express my opinions on the subject because a lot of friends have personally lovely gfs , and those girls arent 'south'.
    To me , the Issan is sometimes almost a seperate country , and sometimes you ask a girl where shes from , and she states "Issaaarn".
    So maybe she sees herself as different too.

But VERY generally speaking I have seen differences between Issanese and South women.
    The best word I can find, is that from my experience South ladies are a tad more, 'realistic'.
    They have tended to be more long term oriented , and dont expect everything to happen overnight. They seem to understand that things come from time and effort spent .... They seem not to immediately expect a mansion once they land a falang.

Maybe this is because , per capita speaking , they are better off.
    The land in the South is more expensive , often because the 'modern' crops of rubber and oil palm allow a fairer and more predictable income . These crops are not labour intensive , and the farmer and family can actually have day jobs and still have an income from the land as well. The rains are predictable , and employment prospects better and higher paid than those from the far NE.
    Jobs are reported as being fairly available by Southerners I know.
    ( Phuket is a mixed bag , its not a good example because the Thais here are from all over. But it certainly has plenty of work and is handy to come to for an unemployed Southerner. Just see how many buses fill to head a few hours east every Friday afternoon.)
    So while the differences in Falang -Thai incomes are still large , they are not as huge as those of a single crop rice farmers from up around Udon.

This is just my speculation.
    But put quite simply , I have never seen the grinding poverty of some of the North East , anywhere on my extensive travels around the South.
    As such , Im guessing that they may not have as much tendency to perceive me as a billionaire so be a bit less fanciful...
    I also think that those from the South have had a more contact with tourists , and have seen we are all a bit different.
    Ive also found Southerners to be far more cynical all round , and willing to mock politicians and not show the obedience one would expect from the lower classes.
    IMO they are far more direct and less willing to 'sugar coat' their replies. They will tell you 'No' about things without looking uncomfortable. Stop for directions , they will say , "No , you are going the wrong way."
    These people have cultural traits closer to Indonesia than China , so I fully expect them to be a bit different.

Still they are all 'Thai' , and I know a thorough gold digger or 2 from Surat , and met the most lovely soft hearted lady from Chaiyapum for a time a while back....

( When speaking of the 'South' , Im not speaking at all of the folk in the 'troubled' provinces below Hat Yai.... Ive only been there once , and I do not know of ONE falang that has a girlfriend from that area , Moslem or Buddhist. We foreigners tend not to live in that area.)
    Good post Chob.....

I cant apply my own observations as i have never been to the South of mainland Thailand. Current TGF's family is from the South (Surat Thani) and we are currently planning to travel together in the near future. I am excited to experience the South and the people that live in that region. Double interested to observe and compare the country side and people to other areas in Thailand i have already traveled to

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Digging up some old threads are you, Cobba?

I can't generalize about the ladies from the deep south of Thailand. I've only met one and she is the wife of a Kiwi friend of mine. She is a lovely, attractive lady who seems very intelligent. She is the daughter of a police chief in Yala. They have LOTS of problems with radical Muslims where she is from and the police chief was very happy that Hamish took his daughter to live in New Zealand with him. I'm not afraid of too many things, but I stay well away from that area. I don't believe in pushing fate too many times, and there are enough better places to explore.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ risky enough exploring LOS by car or bike,no need to add the bomb and shooting risk down there...no go zone for me but only a very small part of the country.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    NE wais as a greeting , thats it.
    She taught me to do so, and I always do.
    I never miss waiing the Immigration men when I arrive , yet again this week, late.
    They get a nose touching one , and a slight bow, so does Yai.
    Family get a chin touching one , but those under about 25 get a nod and smile.

It seems more used for official business down there , like , "I need something , can you help or contribute."

Its a pity , as I really like a wai , the kids in the 7/11 do it in Chiang Mai and it seems very culturally appropriate. Same same Issan, I saw it a lot there.

I think 'kah' and or 'jah' is used right across Thailand.
    When Ao worked in the Thai restaurants I loved seeing the girls come in and give them boss a pleasant wai with a quiet :"Sawadee"

It was so elegant

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Digging up some old threads are you, Cobba?

I can't generalize about the ladies from the deep south of Thailand. I've only met one and she is the wife of a Kiwi friend of mine. She is a lovely, attractive lady who seems very intelligent. She is the daughter of a police chief in Yala. They have LOTS of problems with radical Muslims where she is from and the police chief was very happy that Hamish took his daughter to live in New Zealand with him. I'm not afraid of too many things, but I stay well away from that area. I don't believe in pushing fate too many times, and there are enough better places to explore.
    Pretty true this.

I went out for dinner last night with the TGF and her very close friends. Her freinds are an Australian Malaysian gentlemen and his Thai wife originally from the far north of Thailand. We discussed this briefly last night and yes, agreed the far south of Thailand can be troublesome. The Malaysian gentleman (hes semi retired) has a few businesses in Malaysia, where he will often take himself and wife on a road trip from Malaysia and travel to the far north of Thailand to visit his wives family. That said, and very excited i am to be invited (with the TGF) on their next road trip of similar itinerary........ Planning was in motion over dinner and at this stage its looking like November this year. A lengthy stop over at the TGF's parents home is on the list of "to do"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12