Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Sin Soht

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Mrs W asked me id it was ok to say this to my dad a i had been teaching her some Oz slang.
    In a high Oz twang...."How the fcuk are ya mate" he nearly fell off his chair....i was rolling around, priceless.
    classic....

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    classic....
    You just dont expect it out of a Tg especially a quiet one 55555555555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Whenever I go off on one Mrs C says "Don't say that...I don't want to learn or you see me say later...!"

We can be walking along and she sees an old car and you hear "Pwwwh....Loogadatheepa$hit".
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    I think your very correct and although I havnt pushed her fully on this, as things can change between now and when we return I would say that the deal has been done and I just have to accept it

We will have to catch up for a beer in May as I will be back in Perth for that Expo again. May24th - 29th.
    Sounds good mate, can bring Mrs C this time around.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Whenever I go off on one Mrs C says "Don't say that...I don't want to learn or you see me say later...!"

We can be walking along and she sees an old car and you hear "Pwwwh....Loogadatheepa$hit".
    And yet... it seems so polite and normal when they say it...555

I was with a TG who has never been outside Thailand... but had obviously listened to me too much... and after we'd been in a mall for about 20mins and she couldn't find what she was looking for, she said... "Lets get the sh1t outta here..."

When ya least expect it... it floors you... 555

one of the first times I went to Isaan, Thips mum cooked me a jaffled sandwich for breakfast... later she walked past and asked "aloy mai" I thought she said "alright Mate?" I replied with "yeah, good thanks mate".... I sat there scratching my head wondering how she knew what to ask... Thip later came in and asked me what I had said to mum as she was just as confused as me... her mum still ask's me how my food is by saying "alright mate" with a little laugh

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Sounds good mate, can bring Mrs C this time around.
    No Problem. The girls will love it Its basically another shopping trip in their eyes

Dillpickles
    I'm married 8-9 yrs, I say that because we were married twice once here in Bangkok & then again in the U.S. I had never heard of the term sin sot in my 30 yrs of LOS until I started getting into forums. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention all these yrs. There was certainly no mention of it from my wife or family. She comes from a well to do large family, 5 sisters, all married to good working Thai men, with one other married to a farang with a business in Austria. As a matter of fact there have never been any request for $$$, but knowing Thai culture I send a token 3,000 THB every 2-3 mos.

In fact I could have never even met my wife if it were not for me speaking a fair bit of polite Thai. She was eating with a friend in a restaurant owned by a long time Thai friend. She was annoyed by my arrogance to even approach her, but found my Thai ridiculously funny. After seeing her for a week I was taken home to meet the family, as she lived at home w/ her parents, & nephew. Told her I had to come to Pattaya to see a list of long time friends, that I could not take her with me, as I would staying above my old partners go-go bar, & could not protect her from the mean girls there. As she had no knowledge of farang mongering bar life. I returned as promised, but while I was gone her family with the interest of protecting her told her I was only a farang who could not be trusted, & worthless at best.

A yr later our wedding reception was held in the same restaurant where we met. Because of where I stay in Bangkok with cooking facilities, the family wanted to cook & hold it there. I decided it was not a party if anyone had to work. My restaurant friend offered to do it, 40 guest, open bar for all present. Days before I had taken her to China Town for our rings. The day before our reception all family members who weren't at work drove us to pick up the rings. Could be that was a sin sot, since I paid 80,000 THB for them? I got a 2 bdrm suite for out of town family members or those who were too toasted to be driving, & another single for Momma & Poppa so they could rest without nephews, nieces, & grand kids. Their house in Samut Prakan only 30 min outside Bangkok, but needed to stay in Bangkok for the wedding at Wat Houalampong.

I could not have married into a better family. One sister & bro-n-law live Singhaburi, where the family owns 3 house-boats & 4 long tails. He is one of the only 3 police who since they don't have a station use a desk in the corner of the bank, & a fish farmer, besides being chief of river management. I have been up there before in 2005. But this time in Oct, 2010 it was a wk long family reunion, 20 family members present, except those who had to work. Even some of the employee's of my bro-n-law from Bangkok. They would not let me spend a baht.

I can be fairly certain if my wife didn't come from $$$, & worked bar we would not be married as I would have refused any form sin sot, dowery or anything of the like. But since we did I have done many things of merit which has me treated with much respect. Even now we are preparing for Songkran, have to buy an easy chair for Poppa as his past time is sitting on the baclony in our case & reading the paper. Momma , Poppa, & who ever else will be here with us as we have a fair size condo, & air mattress we shipped from the U.S. with everything else.

For farangs seeking a long term relationship with a Thai women the playing field is severly limited. Thai women in the enterainment venue is a very small fraction of Thai females. Yet the one most available to farangs. I'm knew to this forum but my experience goes a long way back. Many farangs believe every Thai female would jump on the chance to marry a farang, try that with even a chasier in Big "C", let alone a female professional. A sin sot is the preview of just how big a cash cow you are you for someone driven by greed more than despration for $$$. Every desprerate family in LOS does not sell their females. Talk to any bar owner he'll say I'm not a pimp, I just provide the venue they sell themselves, while in my employ.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillpickles View Post
    For farangs seeking a long term relationship with a Thai women the playing field is severly limited. Thai women in the enterainment venue is a very small fraction of Thai females. Yet the one most available to farangs. I'm knew to this forum but my experience goes a long way back. Many farangs believe every Thai female would jump on the chance to marry a farang, try that with even a chasier in Big "C", let alone a female professional. A sin sot is the preview of just how big a cash cow you are you for someone driven by greed more than despration for $$$. Every desprerate family in LOS does not sell their females. Talk to any bar owner he'll say I'm not a pimp, I just provide the venue they sell themselves, while in my employ.
    I would have to disagree with what you are saying above about the Sin Sot and believe so will many others. It is in many books and is a way of the Thai Culture. There are many things that come into consideration when considering the Sin Sot, But I do not believe it is to see how big a "Cash Cow" you are, it is NOT a must to pay (family of wife decide). My GF is not a BG and niether was her mother, it is just the way that they know. Even Thai Men are paying Sin Sot to the Thai Wives family. Do a google search and you will be able to find more, or read Thailand Fever. I understand in your case you may have been one of the guys who did not have to pay, but many many others (falang and Thai) have paid this in the past.

I have to agree with both sides..... sin soht is a thai custom... the fact is Falangs seem to have to pay more... It is up to the families belief whether sin soht is required, as some families would understand that it is not part of the falang culture.... I joke with my GF and say that in Australia the female pays the dowry, she's not sure how to take it.. 555

Oh by the way, WTTB DILLPICKLES

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I joke with my GF and say that in Australia the female pays the dowry, she's not sure how to take it.. 555
    I told my GF that it is Australian Tradition for the wifes family to pay for the wedding. She actually said that if we want a life together that we would do half Thai/half Australian Culture to have a happy medium and that she will be happy to help out where she can. Even suggested she will help me pay for the Sin Sot, if we were to Marry

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Welcome to the board Dillpickles !

Great to have you onboard.

With the amount of time and effort you put in on BS & DP post, I don't know how you have the time for here as well.
    Any that you can spare will be very apreciated.

Members, this man has massive years of experience, is a gentleman and gives his help and knowledge freely.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Members, this man has massive years of experience, is a gentleman and gives his help and knowledge freely.
    I understand that and I am more then happy to have him aboard here with all of his knowledge. Just being a forum wanted to express my opinion on his post as many have done to other BM's in the past. I am not saying he is wrong at all just personally do not agree with what he has said. I honestly don't like the idea of Sin Sot but know it is a way of Thai/Asian Culture as I have read and been told.

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I understand that and I am more then happy to have him aboard here with all of his knowledge. Just being a forum wanted to express my opinion on his post as many have done to other BM's in the past. I am not saying he is wrong at all just personally do not agree with what he has said. I honestly don't like the idea of Sin Sot but know it is a way of Thai/Asian Culture as I have read and been told.
    Seems opinions on Sin Sot will change regards TG and her Value.........to family(percieved)
    If she is young from a poor family marrying up family might demand big Sin Sot.
    If Tg is older...had boyfriend then family cant demand the same price and if have kid maybe none at all.
    If from a weathy family and marrying same same maybe it does not come up.

^On that if BG i could not see any reason in the world to pay Sin Sot ever.
    Just my thoughts.

Personally I don't have anything against sin soht, and if I had the money I would probably pay it without a whim.... But I can't very well make a family from LOS wealthier than me while I suffer in doing so... I have tried to say to Thip that we will do our best to make her Mum and Grandmother comfortable, and when she gets her PR here then we can contribute a decent amount...I like to think that I am doing my bit with someone who is worse off than me and I prefer to see my money do some good in a community rather than giving to someone like PLAN that send money to SE Asia but take out their huge admin fees.... My situation is that Thip has a son who lives with her ex's mum, the ex is a typical lazy thai male.. when they found out she was with me they went and bought a new motorbike and asked for a regular payment to be made.. I had to refuse... Thip only gets to see him a few days a year if SHE makes the journey down south, it is a very unfortunate and selfish arangement and I feel if I start paying for the likes of a motorbike I can bet next year it will be a car... I would be so happy to offer her son a life of opportunity here in Oz but the ex's mum wont have a bar of it...

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Seems opinions on Sin Sot will change regards TG and her Value.........to family(percieved)
    If she is young from a poor family marrying up family might demand big Sin Sot.
    If Tg is older...had boyfriend then family cant demand the same price and if have kid maybe none at all.
    If from a weathy family and marrying same same maybe it does not come up.
    I understand there are many things that will change the amount of the Sin Sot but i was more trying to say that is does happen, Not always but does. I also don't like the idea that Falangs have to pay more then Thais. I don't recall seeing that anywhere in the "Rules"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Sorry G4orce,

I wasn't implying anything, I was just saying welcome, as Dillpickles hasn't writen a newbie post.

It was not meant to relate to your post at all, I was merely saying he is a wealth of knowledge that is handy to have on tap.

For what it's worth I agree with what you have said, I think it all comes down to the parties involved, and each ones financial position.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Sorry G4orce,

I wasn't implying anything, I was just saying welcome, as Dillpickles hasn't writen a newbie post.

It was not meant to relate to your post at all, I was merely saying he is a wealth of knowledge that is handy to have on tap.

For what it's worth I agree with what you have said, I think it all comes down to the parties involved, and each ones financial position.
    Its all good mate, I did not take it that way at all, I was more trying to explain myself a little more as i did not want to scare him off, or make him think we are another one of those Forums with the grumpy BM's 555

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast