Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Kids and language.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar

Kids and language.

Was thinking about this the other day, with regards to Farang and TG having a baby, more in the case of the wife residing in LOS, and he Hubby back n forth, or the couple residing in LOS.

1. What language does the child be taught early on in the piece, as I would think trying to do Thai and English together would be to confusing.

2. If this is the case, at what age is does dual language learning usually start?

And if couple is living Western Country (Condo may help here) , what format of learning, say Englsh/Thai do you take.

Just in case a PBB is thinking it : No there is not a "bun in the oven" etc etc. just posing a question 555
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Was thinking about this the other day, with regards to Farang and TG having a baby, more in the case of the wife residing in LOS, and he Hubby back n forth, or the couple residing in LOS.

1. What language does the child be taught early on in the piece, as I would think trying to do Thai and English together would be to confusing.

2. If this is the case, at what age is does dual language learning usually start?

And if couple is living Western Country (Condo may help here) , what format of learning, say Englsh/Thai do you take.

Just in case a PBB is thinking it : No there is not a "bun in the oven" etc etc. just posing a question 555
    You running out of condoms again?.... 555

Children learn mothers tongue..... So in the scenario you described the childs first language would be Thai with an array of English words....

If both parents are there and they converse equally in both English and Thai the child will be bilingual....

So IMO if the child was raised in LOS it would have a better understanding of Thai than if it was raised in Falangaland....
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    We visited the Heath services centre when Charlotte was younger and they asked us if we wanted her to speak both Thai and English, to which we said yes. She told Ning to speak as much Thai as she can because being in Australia she is going to learn English anyway. So Ning is always speaking Thai to her and even I throw in the occasional Thai as well. I'm not sure Ting Tong will help her much unless she is referring to me all the time.

I'm hoping she will be able to speak and read both languages as well as each other. Not only will this keep the grandparents happy but could be an advantage later on in life career wise.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    We visited the Heath services centre when Charlotte was younger and they asked us if we wanted her to speak both Thai and English, to which we said yes. She told Ning to speak as much Thai as she can because being in Australia she is going to learn English anyway. So Ning is always speaking Thai to her and even I throw in the occasional Thai as well. I'm not sure Ting Tong will help her much unless she is referring to me all the time.

I'm hoping she will be able to speak and read both languages as well as each other. Not only will this keep the grandparents happy but could be an advantage later on in life career wise.

She could finish up being an interpreter for the UN
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    With the amount of business flow 'East' nowadays JC , future opportunities for bi and multi-linguistits with one language Asian are skyrocketing.
    You only have to look at Yinglucks speech yesterday ( about Ivory) to notice how heavily accented and stilted the accent of the Thai that learnt English in Thailand really is.
    As wages and working conditions rise with the Asias popularity , the idea of an Australian-Thai returning to Asia to work will not seem odd at all , and there will be good opportunities for those capable of crossing the language/cultural bridge with fluency.

Kids have an unbelievable capacity to absorb languages , so their exposure to them should be maximized as stated above.
    I guess this should be more obvious to us than it often is ....they learn to understand language way before they need speak it , and they learn to speak it usually well before they collect other skills , like walking for example.

I will be enrolling our grand daughter here in Chinese classes if at all possible when she attends school.
    W

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I agree with you Chob,
    I wasn't being narky when I said she could work for the UN, it is very possible she could or as you say and we all know there is so many westerners company with branches in Asia.

Chinese would be a good bet, as they look to be the real super power of the world in the next few years.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Don't judge kids by your own confusion.

It is only when we get old and set in our ways that we start to have trouble with multiple languages. Young kids take them in their stride.

A Chinese Malaysian friend of mine in Malaysia grew up with her mother speaking to her only in her dialect of Chinese, and her father (also Chinese) speaking to her only in English. Her parents spoke to each other in Chinese; her mother spoke very little English. Her primary and secondary education was mainly English medium, but she also learned to get by in Malay, and learned a little written Chinese. Her tertiary education was abroad, in English.

The sooner kids start getting familiar with multiple languages the better their skills as a polyglot will be. However, if they are educated in primarily English, perhaps along with a second language, they will have access to a greater reservoir of knowledge, and wider range of ideas, than if they are educated in any other language.

When I first arrived in Thailand a generation ago there was still a worry expressed by a few of the powers that be at the time, that if the common people got to know too much English, they would get to know too much.