The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: So you found a girl?

Quote Originally Posted by Zane View Post
    Good advice. I understand it. Its equivalent to having several girlfriends (for me) and keeping my options wide open until one rises from the pack as an obvious click/match. I get it. Thats where we are right now and will be for some time no doubt. She's pretty darn honest, I didn't expect that at all. No attempt whatsoever to hide or even lightly conceal her business from me. Likewise, she knows I have lady interests at home; though she quizzes me about that relentlessly. I'm a mature guy, nothing much in my long long baggage train which I'm all that unhappy to reveal, so, when quizzed like this I tell her, on the proviso she tells me as well, haha, pretty cheeky I know. So, she does, and so do I. But things have to progress, at their own pace sure, but at some point you have to edge a bit closer to BF/GF than simply holiday buddies right?

Sponsorship - it just doesn't seem to work ... and why would it? I can't really see how this would work well at any part of a relationship.

Am I over analysing your point 2) above to take from that that when we're ready, whenever that is, to move from where we are to BF/GF that _this_ is the time to either move there or have her come here? If so, on the outset, it seems a reasonable plan. Both need to know each other in a normal, not holiday, setting, and both will need some security ... in a form that works for both obviously. I would have thought that there would be serious VISA related issues to having your long term GF stay in Australia though ... this is something else I don't know much about.

Ahh, now, maybe this is scraping the surface of a gap in my knowledge. In Australia, GF status is where you get when things look like they are maybe going to go somewhere. Its by no means a marriage proposal or anything close. People are not always monogamous at this stage, but it might come up, depends on the couple. Regardless, its a milestone step to take. Whats the deal in Thailand? Is it about as casual as here or is it more of a pre-fiancée thing? ie; a fair bit more serious?

I'm 45, she's 32.

I'm divorced now, have been for 3-4 years after 10 years of what was, for vast majority of it, a pretty good marriage. It might be important to mention that I married my first wife within 12 months. The marriage ended for reasons unrelated to the (relatively) short lead time.
    OK... good ages. 45 and 32. If she had been 21, I'd probably wish you good luck and leave you to it... 555

Have a look through this section, and you'll see a number of Australians who have been through the Visa process...

Thai Visa, international visa info

It's also hard to compare a wester/western courting process to a western/TG one... not only is there the distance involved, but also the cultural differences. If you get a chance read through the threads to see how others have approached this issue. But if your TG is or has been involved in the p4p game, then likely she will think of you as being "on the list" so to speak. Where you are on that list will depend on many things that happen over the next few months/years... but never assume you are number one... and you'll probably sleep better for it. Until you hand over sin sot that is... then Mr Number One...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    OK... good ages. 45 and 32. If she had been 21, I'd probably wish you good luck and leave you to it...555
    I've got nothing much to go on, but I had a feeling that her being past 30, and me being not vastly different in age might be a good sign. I'm not sure how much age difference really matters in any good relationship to be honest unless one partner is quite young.

Have a look through this section, and you'll see a number of Australians who have been through the Visa process...
    I've had a bit of a snoop and there is some really enlightening stuff here. Particularly a post I just read relating to a newly arrived TGF and trouble finding food.

Cheers

It's also hard to compare a wester/western courting process to a western/TG one... not only is there the distance involved, but also the cultural differences. If you get a chance read through the threads to see how others have approached this issue. But if your TG is or has been involved in the p4p game
    Theres no point not being truthful on a board like this eh? Not if you want to gain something from the experience. By the way, I strongly subscribe to the view of others here that truthful, honest and heartfelt posting, can be a benefit to the whole community.

So: "But if your TG is or has been involved in the p4p game" - she's in it up to her neck. Truthfully, she's up on websites wearing naughty attire. I can almost hear the collective "oh jesus" sigh from everyone, and I get it, I do.

She's never once intimated she's looking for a white knight to save her from all this - but she knows how farangs respond to her work and has tested the conversational waters with me. I've been honest in my responses, I know she has to work to live and support the family. Its early days, as has been spoken of in the above posts, I'm in no position to be making demands of any sort and wouldn't.

then likely she will think of you as being "on the list" so to speak. Where you are on that list will depend on many things that happen over the next few months/years... but never assume you are number one... and you'll probably sleep better for it. Until you hand over sin sot that is... then Mr Number One...
    And there it is, the nub of my questioning at this time. We're having a great time together. She's a working girl, I've my own lady interests at home - despite how awful that sounds, and it really does now that I've written it up, the thing is, its early, we're just two adults enjoying each other. But something has piqued my interest here which is putting her at the top of 'my list'. I can't know where I am on hers, maybe the bottom for all I know, but I'm pretty sure that I am actually on that list, and thats a start.

I'm not going to live in a state of, for want of a better term, unrequited love for years on end. If there is something to be pursued here I'm going to pursue it to its natural conclusion, whatever that may be.

So, not to become boring by overstating the same question relentlessly, but: When the time is nearing for the bf/gf speech, and you all know what I mean, we know instinctively when this 'right time' is, how do those who have been there before with a working girl who is actually working (as opposed to an ex-working girl) make that transition? My culture generally expects that a gf/bf relationship will force out the monogamy speech right? When that happens for each couple is different, but eventually it usually happens. But this is her _job_. It would be like her talking to me about how I need to give up _my_ job now that we're a couple, how do you live, pay your bills, support your family??? This is why, no doubt, the issue of sponsorship inevitably arises in cases like mine. There must be a more sane way that still fulfils both peoples needs though.
    Last edited by Zane; 21st March 2013 at 00:56. Reason: spelling

Zane... the only way you take it to the next level is to remove the girl from the p4p game. In my opinion sponsorship is a very inefficient, expensive and nerve-straining way to do it... so for me it only works when you are physically together for most of the time. ie. she moves to Australia or you move to Thailand. And even then the process can take a while...

I'll leave it to others to tell you how that all works as I never went that far... thus far. But until you become her main source of income then she will see herself as a free-woman. So in most cases, guys here either marry their TG or live with her most of the time, either in LOS or in their own country...

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    The question for you is ... is SHE ready to give up the P4P scene and get a normal job because she wants to be with you ? If you are the right man for her , and she really wants to be in a relationship with you , and she wants to get out of the industry , she WILL !

But you have to support her to do this if its going to happen at all .

The thing you have going in your favour is the fact that she is over 30 years of age .
    Reason for this is ...... she is now of an age that she will be thinking of her longterm security and not the short term money !
    Just go with the flow and enjoy the journey . The rest will sort itself out if it's meant to be !
    !qq!

^Yes exactly... if she wants to leave, she will! But sometimes she just needs a reason to...

Cadet
    Thanks for the responses all.

Gazmac, I had to read a piece of your post three times for it to sink in: I'm so dense sometimes. "If you are the right man for her , and she really wants to be in a relationship with you , and she wants to get out of the industry , she WILL !". Seems pretty straightforward - but like I said ... 3 times I had to read it!

You also say: "But you have to support her to do this if its going to happen at all." Sure - I 100% understand this idea. But the question still remains ... how exactly? Emotional support? Kind and gentle encouragement? It won't be enough right?

In the end, its going to come down to brass tacks, it has too, I'm not under any illusions here. Unskilled jobs, if you're somewhat lucky, might earn 10,000THB a month, possibly.... You can get by on that, maybe (big maybe), but not whilst supporting a family at home and the drop in lifestyle will be significant, I don't want to get into numbers here, but I'm a business guy and already know enough about her situation to extrapolate with a fair degree of accuracy - the difference will be significant and will quickly and easily consume other thoughts.

What I've gleaned from other sites is that TBG in love will indeed sometimes drop out of the industry, but life becomes hard for them, really hard. Add to that the poor farang, far away, who reads just as many internet posts as me, getting eaten up by anguish that he simply doesn't know whats going on most of the time.

I haven't dropped it yet, but maybe now I should, she's talking of getting out by July this year ... to start a business. After this time "we can relax" ... I've got no idea at all what that means ... _we_ can relax?????

I don't know how business is conducted in Thailand, but I sure have close and personal experience here - someone who's not run a business before, with no sound financial backing ... I can't say anything of course, but it sounds like a fast track back to the "game" to me.

Distantpeak says that: "But sometimes she just needs a reason to.." - I agree. She's done factory work when she was much younger and it sounds gruelling and not the least bit financially rewarding. She's outright stated she won't ever go back to that. Who can blame her? If things progress in a positive way between us, I'd like to give her "a reason"

So, this is where I'm at, though I'm new here, I've been on other (less friendly) boards for a while mulling things over:

- Sponsorship is out of the question. I've not heard a single report of how this works or ends well for either party

- Helping her financially to run a business in BKK just seems like sponsorship by another name to me.

- Seeing if she naturally veers towards 'standard' work, and me make up some of the difference in income ... again, its sponsorship. I've toyed with the idea, earlier on, of renting a condo in BKK, for 'our' living purposes. 6-8 visits to BKK a year are well within reach and I'd be spending on rent what I'd save on hotels, so its viable. But, again, its really just sponsorship. Doesn't give her any long term security at all, nor 'build' anything between us, nor remove the temptation of getting back into the P4P business for some extra pocket money.

- Thanks to some good comments here already, and posts I've read here too, thanks everyone, I'm really starting to believe that a reasonable strategy, for both parties, is to get to know each other, spend the time, but if that time comes for the girlfriend talk, then the proposal would boil down to essentially sponsorship with continuous co-habitation. Thai girls are jealous, I've seen enough already to know, and I too won't sleep easily with a long distance girlfriend confronted with so many temptations, so it can serve a mutual purpose right there. No problem supporting a live in girlfriend financially and 10,000 baht a month or so to look after the family is no burden either. But its a big ask right? Say 9 months in Australia earning a living with your girl, 3 months in Thailand keeping your lady happy and interacting with the family (I love Thailand by the way, would live there in an instant, but need to earn a living).

So, don't be shy, whack me over the head with an oversized wet fish Is that last point a reasonable thing to ruminate over or have I missed an obvious and fatal flaw?
    Last edited by Zane; 21st March 2013 at 02:26. Reason: spelling

Take your time and enjoy ! If it comes to that TG GF time ,well just sit down and work out a reasonable deal. My lady had it all worked out in her head way before talk ! This is how she put it to me .

Tilak, if you can send me 10,000 baht a month , i will get a job in Junceylon , that pay me 8,000 baht a month . So that will equal what i get from bar every month .
    I agreed and she then told me that she had already resigned from her bar knowing that she had a reasonable deal to offer me . We spent the rest of my holiday together and 1 week after i got back she sms'd me to tell me that she had a job in Juncylon.
    It was a job in the meat dept of Carrefoure(big C ) .

Anytime we are in Patong together (she lives in her village at the moment ) She is very happy not to go near the bars ! Only time we do is go and see our friends that work there ! Their bars are the only ones we go to ! If i want to go to the bars with friend , she says go ahead ! One time i came home early as she stayed in watching tv , i had a feeling she'd be asleep and i wouldnt be able to get into the room lol. All she said was why you back so early ?? Go talk with your friends ,i am watching my movie !

So yes the bar can be taken out of them IF THEY WANT OUT !
    !qq!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Zane, firstly I think you have a good head on you, working thru all the possible outcomes, as you are finding, is an absolute minefield, so as the guys are saying go with the flow, don't expect too much and then there isn't too much damage to be done.

At 32, if she has been in the bars for years she may well be wanting to get out.

What I would be looking at is how can you assist her to better herself so she can get a normal job that will allow her to still support family etc. Look at her education, can she read and write, Thai or English?
    Yes it is a bit of sponsorship but for a better ending outcome, her betterment and if she can improve her position by working for a company as receptionist or whatever, she may feel it worthwhile to have a bit less income but more self respect and long term future.

I'm sure you can find all the technical stuff re visa's etc here, so maybe look at bringing her over for 2-3 months, remember you will need to supplement her loss of income while she is here.

Good luck with whatever you do, keep us informed when you can.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Just a thought for you Zane . Tane worked in Big c until she she came here on her first Tourist Visa. On her return , she went straight to BKK and enrolled in the Thai university to study Thai massage,english and computing ! As a fulltime student . Yes i paid but i think the cost was around 5 dollars a day for her to do it . It kept her occupied for sure .
    As JC has just said , it was giving her a sense of betterment. Admittedly , she gave up on the english and computing was too hard for her but did stick with and complete the Thai massage course and now has an international ticket to do it .
    8 hours a day of massage and study at night with the books,she was definitely occupied and ready to fall asleep every night when i spoke to her .
    Yes i paid for her accommodation and living expenses but she was sharing a room with another girl doing the same course,so costs were shared and not really that expensive! She did that for 12 months.
    There are other ways to keep your lady occupied and away from the bars . If she really wants to get out of them,as JC said, try to find something that she wants to do to better herself and give her all the support you can ! She will respect you for it and probably bring you both closer together.
    I also know of another couple who have done exactly the same and it worked as well .
    !qq!

Cadet
    Thanks to everyone - large amount of really useful information for me to digest. Its so 'real world' helpful here. Thanks a bunch.

My girl wants to start a business and get out of the 'business' so to speak - but I reckon its pretty risky for her. None of my affair at this early stage, but it might become later ...

University might interest her, not sure of entry requirements in LOS though? I think she's only got a fairly basic education - but speaks reasonable english and writes a little, reads/writes thai no problem of course. English and computing sounds like a winner actually, and would relate directly to her dream of running a business too, I might be able to get a hook in there.

I'm off in a week to see her - the excitement levels are rising hehe, getting a couple of dozen texts a day throughout ... hard to concentrate on actually working at work frankly Will update when I return - will have about a zillion more musings I'm sure hehe.

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    More posts Zane and the forum opens up to you, hows the weather 55555
    Last edited by Quarky; 23rd March 2013 at 21:25. Reason: too much info

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilla View Post
    More posts Zane and the forum opens up to you, hows the weather 55555
    Oh ... is that why I can't "like" posts yet? I've wanted to do so for a couple already. This is a great bunch of people here. Really positive but full of reality too. I've done myself a disservice not getting here earlier.

Weather in Perth is great Was up in Karratha yesterday, whoa! stinking hot and muggy. Smelled like an army platoons underpants by the time I got home in the late evening (yikes!).
    Last edited by Quarky; 23rd March 2013 at 21:25. Reason: edited quote

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane View Post
    Oh ... is that why I can't "like" posts yet? I've wanted to do so for a couple already. This is a great bunch of people here. Really positive but full of reality too. I've done myself a disservice not getting here earlier.

Weather in Perth is great Was up in Karratha yesterday, whoa! stinking hot and muggy. Smelled like an army platoons underpants by the time I got home in the late evening (yikes!).
    No like button in the area you are accessing now, next level members only
    I'm in Mackay in Qld and rain gone and a beautiful day

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    My advice if your interested Zane, dont overthink things, dont commit to anything, dont start sponsering yet, get to know her more and most important, have a good holiday 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    My advice if your interested Zane, dont overthink things, dont commit to anything, dont start sponsering yet, get to know her more and most important, have a good holiday 555
    Good advice Rivo. Unfortunately, I can't help but overthink - its just who I am. The challenge for me is to do some of this in my own time, which settles my mind, then go and enjoy the holiday!! Sure. The lady involved is proving to be as cautious as I am with talk relating to GF/BF, and whilst I didn't expect this, its good. No sponsoring yet, no, it would muddy the waters and not allow room for any true feeling/relationship to develop. Having said that, I'd don't vacillate in these matters for years and if I am going to move ahead with the lady I'm thinking of now, we'll be at some sort of decision point / milestone point within 6 months, probably less unless things don't continue to grow.

Banned
    Last edited by Fionn; 16th May 2013 at 12:21.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Fionn View Post
    Zane, I can't keep up with your long post and questions summarizing your questions would help.
    I'm sorry - I tend towards the verbose. Having said that, for those could could stomach my huge posts I'm guessing they've got a pretty fair idea of where I'm at

My advice is take some time on this trip to get to know each other better, maybe go somewhere different then where she is from, get her out of her comfort zone a bit, which may let you get to know her a bit better.

Getting her out of her comfort zone, may show you another side to her or maybe have you liking her more.
    Thats fair and luckily we're going to Hua Hin, and she's never been - so we'll see what happens In May I'm planning on taking her out to Malaysia.

After reading a lot of your post, I know what you what, but you haven't said much about what she wants. Personally I think that is the most important thing to know.
    I agree. I posted on a bit of a mission hehe. Imagine the size of my first post if I'd included _all_ the information I know? No-one could read it hahaha.

Does she want to move to another country?
    Unsure for the long term. I've tested and she's definitely interested in seeing the world, my country included. As for living here 100% of the time - not yet known.

Does she expect you to move to Thailand?
    This appeals to her more, and that shouldn't be a surprise I suppose. She's travelled a bit throughout Asia but no further, I'm guessing she couldn't possibly imagine what a place like Australia might be like to live in, so the easy go-to line and comfort level would be to have BF move to LOS.

Does she want a husband ? boyfriend? Or gik?
    Sorry, still new, don't know what a gik is. My language skills are atrocious and its at the top of my list of things that need fixing.

I have asked if she wants to marry again in the future (she was married young, divorced for about 10 years now), she says yes. But in the immediate term, I can only say she's interested in a BF.

Does she want a rich partner? And how rich would be ok?
    Does she just want a good man?
    Honestly, you won't be surprised to hear that money is important to her. I'm just a working class guy here in Australia, but to her definition and experience I'd be rich yes. But she's been exposed to riches far in excess of mine through her long career as a P4P girl. I think, based upon our conversations, ultimately she wants a good man, but that good man would have to be able to support her. Seems reasonable.

Does she want child (or more)?
    She tells me she doesn't have children. After having been married for 5 years when young I find that a bit curious and will explore further when the time is right. I've seen pictures of her sisters kids and if I were to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of these 'sister kids' was actually hers. Doesn't bother me in the slightest either way. Her answer to me asking if she wanted children in the future was yes, she does.

Does she want out of the P4P scene? That would be the number one question at this time if you want to move your relationship to something more.
    Indeed.

On the surface, she seems completely embedded in the P4P scene. For a while I thought it was all she wanted. But I sometimes get strange texts from her, generally when she's been on a long job (say a week or more) and the tone of those texts is very much about getting out of the business. She needs the money though and so her thoughts are towards starting a business of her own. I'm not yet sure if this is a desire and dream of hers or simply a means to an end; ie; she wants to run a business so that she can earn more than a labourers wage and continue to support the family etc.

This may sound like a lot of things to know, but I will bet she knows the answer to them already.
    Yep, I bet you're right. I also know as much as she's been willing to divulge... which is a lot. It doesn't just flow out of her though. I am pretty inquisitive, though I hope not too boorish. At appropriate times I do ask some pretty personal stuff, and allow myself to also be probed in similar ways. Some topics go no-where, she's not ready or comfortable to fill me in, but I'm the same. There are some things she asks me which I won't answer directly. Thats fine though, these things come with time and trust right?

Basically and probably the hardest thing to work out is what does she want from you?
    I personally wouldn’t listen to any generalisations about TG’s, they are all individuals and have different upbringings ,values and circumstances which shape the way they are, just like western women. I know TG’s that have worked or do work in the P4P industry, some are in it for the money, and some just want a good man to take care of them, it really depends on the girl and as we don’t know your girl, this is something you need to work out by yourself.
    This is the tone I've been hearing on this board and its terrifically refreshing. Long term, I don't know what she wants from me - its too early and she wouldn't tell me I'm sure. Immediate term, she wants to get to know me better. This is her own words. "not BF yet, need spend time, get to know". Sounds pretty level headed to me.

On the question of giving money or sponsorship? You need to understand and think about that you are asking the girl to trust you, that you will do what you say you will do.
    You are asking her to give up her job and income and trust that you will provide for her!

I would take this advice with a grain of salt, you can make arguements anyway you want about this, its more dependent on the girl and what she wants.

I personally think this is a good sign as its shows that maybe she thinks that there may be something more to your relationship as she is being careful with your money.
    Again, great points and ones I will keep in mind as we progress. She is already finding inventive ways to save me money as I need to "keep for future good" and not waste it in Thailand.

Have fun, go in with your eye open and be informed which I think you are. I personally think you need to take risk to really enjoy life, every BM here with a Thai partner has taken a risk (and there Thai partners also). Just be clear as you can be about the risk you are taking and what you are willing to lose. But also be aware that if it works it will be more then worth it.
    Yep. Who Dares Wins eh? I subscribe to this idea.

I've earmarked already, financially, what I'm prepared to gamble. It'll take me through to the end of the year. I don't hang around forever if relationships are not progressing to something, life is too short and I've done my time being wishy-washy and dallying around.

You have a pretty clear handle on the matter and have pretty much answered your own question here. If you want her to stop working in the P4P industry you will need to sponsor her.
    Yes I understand. My anguish in the posts I've made here is really about trying to find the crossover point for all this. We have fun, we grow together, learn lots, trust builds. At some point, if things are to continue to move forward then we have to hit the BF/GF milestone. Its at this point that my biggest "dealbreaker" will loom large. I will struggle with a GF, who is recognised as such by both of us, working the P4P game. To exit the game will require sponsorship - its clear to me. But who blinks first? Until I found this board I was really not sure. Its become clear to me since coming here though that it _has_ to be me. I'm only risking a relatively small amount of money ... nothing more. In the game of odds my risk is lower, I think, so its got to be me who mans up. Having said all that though, I'm going to need a lot of reassurance that things are actually moving in the required direction - thus the age old problem of proof

Thanks for your thoughts. No ones circumstances are ever the same as others, the variation is limitless, nevertheless, I feel a lot more prepared for what I feel, and hope, is coming over the next 6 months or so.

Many guys here have wives/partners they never needed to sponsor... it's not the ONLY way Zane.

I get the impression you are dying to give your money away... like you have seen a Ferrari going for 10% of it's normal price and you want to put a down payment on it before it vanishes... 555

Don't panic. Relax.

I will disagree with the money if he wants to give. If Zane can afford 6-8 trips to LOS a year he will not miss 10-20 K TBH a month. And his girl will know this 100% for sure. Her friends will be saying to her. Why he not want to take care you. He is not serious!!!!! He is another Player!!!

Walk in her shoes nah.

This money every month will be a test. Yes a gamble maybe. Like every one who gamble with money. It is Ok IF you can afford to loose. If you can STOP when you need. But you can win.!!!
    yung rai kwa suea

Quote Originally Posted by daohoshi Dao View Post
    I will disagree with the money if he wants to give. If Zane can afford 6-8 trips to LOS a year he will not miss 10-20 K TBH a month. And his girl will know this 100% for sure. Her friends will be saying to her. Why he not want to take care you. He is not serious!!!!! He is another Player!!!

Walk in her shoes nah.

This money every month will be a test. Yes a gamble maybe. Like every one who gamble with money. It is Ok IF you can afford to loose. If you can STOP when you need. But you can win.!!!
    And this... is why I would stay away from girls who think like this... 555

What a way to live....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast