Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71

Thread: How does customs treat your TG?

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,954

    How does customs treat your TG?

    We always talk about the arduous task of obtaining visas but we never really talk about how customs treat your TG/wife when they travel

    We basically deal with 2 sets of customs, Canada in US. My wife currently has a Canadian WP and a multi-entry residents visa and she has a 10 year US Visitors visa. Her US Visa allows her to stay for 6 months at a time.

    Canada-she was put into customs after passport control on her 1st visit. But after that they have never asked her any more questions than they would ask me.

    US- this was the one that is a surprise to me. We've probably been through the US border 7-8 times either driving or flying and i think they may have spoken to her twice in all that. Yesterday , looking at her passport, the guy joked with her that she must be freezing. But most times i hand over both our passports and they don't even speak to her.

    Also, every 6 months she needs to fill out an I-94(like the dep card in Thailand) and when we go in there, they are scouring over all the Chinese's paperwork. All they ever do with Ao is take her fingerprints and we pay 6usd.

    So all and all, very good experiences for her when she is passing through passport control/customs in North America

    How about anyone else's experiences?

    PS-she is flying to US alone in January to meet me in NYC, so it will be interesting to see her experience with them solo

  2. #2
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,284
    No issues generally quick with few to no questions and always polite...When she has flown by herself she has transited through KL and she said they where really polite but to me not so much.55555
    .

  3. #3
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    9,002
    I've never crossed a border with a TG but in general I find all customs/immigration officials unpleasant....I have a special place in my heart for the US variety though...I will never return to that country without an extremely pressing reason due to their treatment of me the last time I left

  4. #4
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,284
    ^^First time I came to OZ from NZ they went through me like a dose of salts...But when I look back at my then passport photo I did look like a drug smuggler amazing the difference when you cut your hair.55555
    .

  5. #5
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,407
    I never get luggage checks when flying solo as I don't bring things that I need to declare and never have I been required to have them checked. Travelling with Thip I applied the same rule by not packing anything that needed declaring and on her first trip to Oz I triple checked every bit of luggage.
    On arrival in Melbourne we grabbed our bags and jumped in the 'Nothing to Declare' line, handed our arrival cards to the customs officer as he asked the question "anything to declare?" "No nothing" "well just head around to the left, we might just have a look at your bags".

    Now I just declare some small stupid thing like a sealed tin of curry paste, something I know they'll laugh at and let us keep... last time it was Tiger Balm!
    I normally have the declared product handy and give some B.S. "I'm trying to teach her about our strict boarder policies and whats good food and bad food to bring in".....They suddenly become very helpful and go through the common things brought in from LOS we've even been given a tour of a small samples room showing us a lot of the stuff seized over the years.
    Last edited by PatongBeachBoy; 9th December 2013 at 14:55.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,831
    I think if it is a first time crossing, having you with her is a big deal, customs will treat them differently than if on their own.
    Once they have come and gone and obeyed their visa, the next time they are seen as a good risk and treated OK.
    Immigration, is what I'm talking about, Customs will still look a bit harder at them as they expect them to have brung something special they cook with etc that are high risk environmentally.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,954
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I never get luggage checks when flying solo as I don't bring things that I need to declare and never have I been required to have them checked. Travelling with Thip I applied the same rule by not packing anything that needed declaring and on her first trip to Oz I triple checked every bit of luggage.
    On arrival in Melbourne we grabbed our bags and jumped in the 'Nothing to Declare' line, handed our arrival cards to the customs officer as he asked the question "anything to declare?" "No nothing" "well just head around to the left, we might just have a look at your bags".

    Now I just declare some small stupid thing like a sealed tin of curry paste, something I know they'll laugh at and let us keep... last time it was Tiger Balm!
    I normally have the declared product handy and give some B.S. "I'm trying to teach her about our strict boarder policies and whats good food and bad food to bring in".....They suddenly become very helpful and go through the common things brought in from LOS we've even been given a tour of a small samples room showing us a lot of the stuff seized over the years.
    Ao just got back Tuesday and brought 2 tubs of marinated rat! she said she was told if they ask, tell them it is Thai jam
    she knows the rule, if she gets caught with any of this stuff, i am not paying a cent of the fine.....and more important not going through future passports checks with her because she will always get pulled in after that

    although we were a bit naughty yesterday
    we only went to US yesterday for the day and you really are not allowed to buy and bring anything back but they will let one or two small things or grocery shopping by
    but we saw great sales on jackets so we each bought one. mine was 450 down to 165, hers 350 down to 110
    so she just put hers on over her other jacket and I just threw mine in back seat over my other jacket

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,954
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I've never crossed a border with a TG but in general I find all customs/immigration officials unpleasant....I have a special place in my heart for the US variety though...I will never return to that country without an extremely pressing reason due to their treatment of me the last time I left
    i've actually never had a real bad incident in any country in all my travels and i put that down to pure luck and nothing but that

    i don't want this to get into bashing of a particular country, more interested in the original topic of how TG's fair
    but i noticed something yesterday when we had to go into customs for Ao to get her new 6mo departure card
    there is no real burden on customer service, or service. there was 7-8 officers and things moving along nice and then, all of a sudden, there was obviously a shift change and all got up at once, leaving 1 officer for a good 20mins. and you can tell they don't care how long the people have to wait and there really is no recourse to complain, or you just going to cause trouble for yourself
    that is one thing that irks me about customs in North America, Canada and US both. they seem to think they are not a service when most of the people they are dealing with are the citizens of their own country and we pay their salaries

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    lOZt
    Posts
    2,639
    CJ has travelled to Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and Australia twice. She has been given a hard time twice...both times returning to Thailand, once with me and the other time solo.

    It is very rare for CJ to swear, but after she says to me, "WTF, I am Thai person"
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

  10. #10
    RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    CJ has travelled to Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and Australia twice. She has been given a hard time twice...both times returning to Thailand, once with me and the other time solo.

    It is very rare for CJ to swear, but after she says to me, "WTF, I am Thai person"
    Same with A, more hassle leaving and returning to Thailand than here

  11. #11
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    7,167
    Three trips into Sydney, all by herself with no real problems..... but first time on the TV, i think the customs man was a bit too friendly, held her up just to chat about nothing relevent to entering the country at all...... he was apparently younger than me....hmmmmmm...... i am waiting, waiting patiently outside whilst this customs dude is hitting on my gf....555555

    Only had her bags inspected once, the last trip.....
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Three trips into Sydney, all by herself with no real problems..... but first time on the TV, i think the customs man was a bit too friendly, held her up just to chat about nothing relevent to entering the country at all...... he was apparently younger than me....hmmmmmm...... i am waiting, waiting patiently outside whilst this customs dude is hitting on my gf....555555

    Only had her bags inspected once, the last trip.....
    when Ao went for her US Visa in US consulate in Vancouver the officer was obviously a Thai fan
    he stared speaking Thai to her and wanted to do the interview in Thai but she had to shyly ask him if they could do it in English since his Thai was not that good! 555

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    CJ has travelled to Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and Australia twice. She has been given a hard time twice...both times returning to Thailand, once with me and the other time solo.

    It is very rare for CJ to swear, but after she says to me, "WTF, I am Thai person"
    what kind of issues?
    that is strange, Ao never mentioned an issue

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I've never crossed a border with a TG but in general I find all customs/immigration officials unpleasant....I have a special place in my heart for the US variety though...I will never return to that country without an extremely pressing reason due to their treatment of me the last time I left
    Sounds like there's a story here that needs to be told - Nels?

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    lOZt
    Posts
    2,639
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    what kind of issues?
    that is strange, Ao never mentioned an issue
    The first time the lady got grumpy because there was no exit stamp in the passport. Second time was a full luggage search...maybe they just wanted some of the 4kg of freshly picked cherries! 555
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,001
    I hate our Canadian customs with a passion. If the US military sent in a missile and blew them all up I would rejoice. I would love to sponsor a trip to Canada for the young Thai girl I've help raise since she was a baby, but Canadian customs would never allow that. The self righteous pricks think all female Asians are potential prostitutes, and treat them like such. I'm just used to their thuggish attitude and put up with it or I'll be there even longer than I already am.

  17. #17
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I've never crossed a border with a TG but in general I find all customs/immigration officials unpleasant....I have a special place in my heart for the US variety though...I will never return to that country without an extremely pressing reason due to their treatment of me the last time I left
    Care to elaborate? Leaving makes it sound more than a normal story
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

  18. #18
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    9,002
    ^ just an unbelievable, offensive and bewildering search, interrogation and detainment....no reason given and no apology offered...don't want to go into it here...maybe a topic for another thread sometime as I don't want to derail this one

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,933
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    i've actually never had a real bad incident in any country in all my travels and i put that down to pure luck and nothing but that
    One of my early trips OS was to Europe landing at Heathrow with 3 of my cricket team mates mid 80`s.

    Got fairly pissed on the freebies on the plane but one of them always ironed himself right out. Had to help him off the plane and laid him on a baggage trolley and wheeled him through immigration on it semi conscious 555

    They put him through the cleaners...how much money you got,where you staying/going,you got drugs in that bag?....nah finished them before i got on the plane was his answer 555...so had to wait until they went right through every nook and cranny of his bags and we did our best to show that there someone to look after him.
    They were a little apologetic to the rest of us as we waited but they obviously had to do their job and let him go when they could see that all was cool.

    Rescued his ass a few times on that trip as he was drinking a lot and not eating much as he was suss about the food over there.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I hate our Canadian customs with a passion. If the US military sent in a missile and blew them all up I would rejoice. I would love to sponsor a trip to Canada for the young Thai girl I've help raise since she was a baby, but Canadian customs would never allow that. The self righteous pricks think all female Asians are potential prostitutes, and treat them like such. I'm just used to their thuggish attitude and put up with it or I'll be there even longer than I already am.
    i actually don't think Canadian passport control/customs are that nice or personable
    but saying they treat all female Asians as potential prostitutes is so far off from our reality it isn't even in the same stratosphere
    and that is not only my wife but the mutliple of friends we know or even the 100's of strangers i see when i am in and out of YVR 30 times a year

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •