Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Years TG's Xmas present list

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar

This Years TG's Xmas present list

Anyone buy anything techie, cool or just interesting for there TG/Wife Xmas present this year

JK presents this year includes

Mountain Bike

C-Pen ( A pen that scans text to your tablet, converts to thai and speaks/pronounces the word in english )

A set of Sol Republics V10 headphones

And 2 books...from a 2nd hand book shop... she wants to start reading some english books using her C-Pen to scan the words she can't understand. So i needed to start her on a fairly basic book, hence the 2nd hand book shop and the chosen books.

So her books are

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

and

Tuesdays with Morrie
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Bought my dad this... because he always asks me what came before the Big Bang...

Nothing dad... nothing at all...

Zero, zip, nada, zilch. It's all too easy to ignore the fascinating possibilities of emptiness and non-existence, and we may well wonder what there is to say about nothing. But scientists have known for centuries that nothing is the key to understanding absolutely everything, from why particles have mass to the expansion of the universe so without nothing we'd be precisely nowhere. Absolute zero (the coldest cold that can exist) and the astonishing power of placebos, light bulbs, superconductors, vacuums, dark energy, "bed rest" and the birth of time all are different aspects of the concept of nothing. The closer we look, the bigger the subject gets. Why do some animals spend all day doing nothing? What happens in our brains when we try to think about nothing?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

We both hate the whole Christmas present madness so buy each other nothing. The kids will get one or two presents but nothing overboard.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    This is only our second Christmas "together," we are not celebrating. Sweetie as of yet doesn't really know what Christmas is about. I don't really want to make it "time to give presents." I am not religious, I just really don't want her caught up in the consumerism side of things. She should know it's a religious holiday before she forgets it. 555

I hope to get her to have a real family gathering next year if I can afford plane ticket to America. 4000-5000 USD during that time of year.
    Last edited by Cippy; 24th December 2013 at 18:37.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    4000-5000 USD during about that time of year.
    Yeah that's getting a bit steep.
    I wasn't too happy paying $1300 Perth->BKK for this period.

I guess I should have mentioned, that would be for two tickets. 555
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Still on the steep side.

I guess I should have mentioned, that would be for two tickets. 555
    But worth every cent i would think, for the family, but also the experience for Sweet, i try not to get to hit up about plane ticket prices, yes at this time of year it is more expensive, but if you need to get there, there ain't many other options....

Maybe I am one of the poorer BMs, for me it may not be a want to, but can't. MY plan to visit the US is get her a ticket with my air miles, which I can only really do in Sept oct. and then have my office fly me back after a job.

Poorer BM's ? hope this comes out the right way Clipp and please , l hope i dont offend at all .... but when i read about you employment and where it takes you, including the dangers, but more so that fact you are away from your home for long periods, it comes across as the sought of job that would allow you to stash good dollars away...like big dollars

Do you have an abode at home that you still have to pay for, as this would change what i have just written above

Not offended at all. Yes, I spend about 6 month a year away, although I was lucky enough to spend four straight months in country when we first got together. Looks like I will only be gone four short weeks this time. I go from contract to contract so work is not always steady.

No house in the states, LOS in my home now. So my expenses are relatively low. I do ok, better than the average American salary which is about 50,000 a year, but not by much, unless you count medical and life insurance. That is an extra 6000 a year. But I am not in the position to stash away good dollars, I put about 5000 a year into my retirement, office puts 1/3 of that in. I have a small savings that I don't touch, pretend it is not even there. But I don't put away the big bucks. Although I did just get a 50 dollar a day raise! ( I work on a day rate)

Not offended at all. Yes, I spend about 6 month a year away, although I was lucky enough to spend four straight months in country when we first got together. Looks like I will only be gone four short weeks this time. I go from contract to contract so work is not always steady.

No house in the states, LOS in my home now. So my expenses are relatively low. I do ok, better than the average American salary which is about 50,000 a year, but not by much,

I guess that was my thinking... someone on $ 50K a year back home has to pay, rent or mortgage, food, electricity, water, car expenses maybe, or even public transport to get to work.

If you don't have any of that, it must put you ahead... but i understand and for me as well, it always seems to be in one hand out the other..... i am hopeless at trying to hold onto the green stuff

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

No house in the states, LOS in my home now. So my expenses are relatively low. I do ok, better than the average American salary which is about 50,000 a year, but not by much, unless you count medical and life insurance. That is an extra 6000 a year. But I am not in the position to stash away good dollars, I put about 5000 a year into my retirement, office puts 1/3 of that in. I have a small savings that I don't touch, pretend it is not even there. But I don't put away the big bucks. Although I did just get a 50 dollar a day raise! ( I work on a day rate)
    Jeez Cippy, you have just knocked me over with a feather!!!

I thought any one working maritime and off shore were on big bucks. Especially with the threat areas you go to.

No disrespect but a salesman at Harvey Norman Furniture and computers gets a basic of $55k plus commissions on sales. Supper is paid above that at 9%.
    I guess that if your basing yourself in LOS then your overheads are low, but what are your workmates doing? how are they surviving if they have a house, family in USA or anywhere else?

Sorry I' not being negative just surprised.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

You have to Remember that Aus has the highest median wealth in the world. USA is great at making the super rich, but is quite low on the scale when it comes to median wealth. When we sail into Australian waters, we have to dump the food and get rid of our able seamen, stewards and cooks. The cooks then become the highest paid personnel on the boat. The stewards are making 100k per year.

I do make more than 50k a year, and many on the boat do better, especially the Client Representatives and Chiefs. The Brits fall into a loop hole too wherein they don't have to pay taxes and many other nationalities do not either, I have no such luxury.

Remember too, I do only work 5 or 6 months a year.

I am shopping around for a higher paid work in the US, but things are not so easy right now.

That's the key.

Ohhh ok that changes everything by say....half...5555.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

I do make more than 50k a year, and many on the boat do better, especially the Client Representatives and Chiefs. The Brits fall into a loop hole too wherein they don't have to pay taxes and many other nationalities do not either, I have no such luxury.

I am shopping around for a higher paid work in the US, but things are not so easy right now.
    Ok, only working that time is good IF you are happy with the annual income. Can you work more??

I know things are tough here as well, sh1t i've been out of work 10 months.

I just was surprised at the rate..

Here in Aus we have Holden cars closing down in 4 yrs everyone is screaming, forget the fact they have had 1.8bill over the last 8 years to prop them up.

3,000 employees are going to be outed, possible onflow 50k jobs, with suppliers etc.

So here is the thing that the unions have kept as quit as they can.... unskilled labor has been paid at $50 an hour, yes those that pushed the broom, or clipped the chain of the chasi to the treadmill that took it to the paint booth, yes they are getting $50 ph.

Skilled, get $80ph yes the guy that empties the spray painters and cleans them, gets 80ph.

So these people are given 4 yrs notice??? fcuk i never got 4 weeks!!

I saw one woman on TV in tears at the gate, she said her husband worked here as well, so their home will have no income at all, she has worked for 13yrs here! both will have been on $130k a year? and will be for the next 4 yrs.
    sh1t, if they take on a correspondence course they can be accountants in 4 yrs, no offence C1.

On top of that they will get a redundancy payout, 6 months? as well as some of the $100mill the federal Gov has put in!!
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Maybe I am one of the poorer BMs, for me it may not be a want to, but can't. MY plan to visit the US is get her a ticket with my air miles, which I can only really do in Sept oct. and then have my office fly me back after a job.
    why so expensive Cippy?
    you would fly into LAX, no?
    i would think no more than 1500 each and that is expensive

You have to Remember that Aus has the highest median wealth in the world. USA is great at making the super rich, but is quite low on the scale when it comes to median wealth. When we sail into Australian waters, we have to dump the food and get rid of our able seamen, stewards and cooks. The cooks then become the highest paid personnel on the boat. The stewards are making 100k per year.

but if you are making under 100k/yr( think it is around 90k now) then it should all be tax free also as a US expat
    so even if you are making 120k, you should only have taxable income of about 32k

and at 32k taxable income, you still basically paying no taxes, maybe 15% at the most on that

PS- i get screwed out of that because in Canada i pay a higher tax rate than i would in US but you working in those countries, i don't think you'd be taxed there
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 24th December 2013 at 23:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Anyone buy anything techie, cool or just interesting for there TG/Wife Xmas present this year

JK presents this year includes

Mountain Bike

C-Pen ( A pen that scans text to your tablet, converts to thai and speaks/pronounces the word in english )

A set of Sol Republics V10 headphones

And 2 books...from a 2nd hand book shop... she wants to start reading some english books using her C-Pen to scan the words she can't understand. So i needed to start her on a fairly basic book, hence the 2nd hand book shop and the chosen books.

So her books are

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

and

Tuesdays with Morrie
    to get back to your question

I love Xmas but we don't go overboard

i bought Ao a really nice Michael Kors bag, perfume, and then a bunch of small things
    to be honest, the dog gets about half of what she does!!

he got a new raincoat, a puzzle and a new teddy bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast