Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Farang Family Name

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar

The Farang Family Name

Just a quick question or poll if you like on those with thai wifes

Once married did the wife change over legally her family name to yours ?

I ask because for JK, once we got married, we didn't immediately change her surname as it would of added another complication into the Visa process, as in wanting to get the forms in straight after the marriage, then all the paperwork had her last name on it.. doing a name change in the middle of that visa process ? ... not a good idea..

FF 2 years, and now with her residency all complete, visas all finished, i asked her today...well do you want to change you name ? shes always thought he family name was unluckly...555 so is keen to change..

but its gets more interesting ... can;t she keep her family name in LOS and her Thai Passport the same, and then in Aus have my family name and her Aus passport ( after Citizenship is done) the same....

Fly out of Aus with my name .... fly into LOS as her name .... back out hers and back in mine...etc

But back to the original question ... how many married here, and wife changed her name ?

any reason not too, or reasons too too ? ..555
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    From memory, I think that wives are entitled to use either their married name or maiden name.
    We haven't changed any names yet. Thais change their given names often based on luck.
    I heard one prominent thai family was just given a new "More Royal" name by U No Hu.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I don't see the need for the missus to change her name at all. The kids will always have your name and that's all that counts.

If I got married it wouldn't bother me one bit what her last name was.

But still interested to hear the answers to your question, because I'm not sure if women change their last name in Thai culture.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I think Minder can take this one.

My understanding is they can just change name here and not do it back home, so have the 2 passports.
    Although Thai doesn't recognize dual citizenship.

As far as I know the children in LOS keep the surname of the father. Boom was married twice and had two kids to each, they kept their fathers surname, even when she went back to her maiden name.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Although Thai doesn't recognize dual citizenship.
    This one makes me always laugh .... and i have heard it before... not recognize, but it doesn't effect them in anyway, as she is JK in LOS and JH here in AUS, how will they know any different, unless she gets busted for something and find her other passport...what does not recognize actually mean ? and do any countries actually recognize dual anymore ?

Yes Sydney several countries still do. Just as an example England, if your over 30 you cant have a work permit, but if you have direct bloodlines from England, down to your grandparents then you can get an English passport and work for the rest of your life.

Yes she could get busted by finding the other passport, and that would be because she has no other countries entry stamps in her Thai one, although she has left the country. Same same with her Aust. one.
    It shows her entering LOS today, stamped, then leaving in 4 weeks, stamped, then next trip in June entering again but if they look it doesn't show any stamp of where she has been, so effectively flying around in a plane for 6 months.
    This happened to me when NZ didn't stamp my passport on entry or leaving. I was stamped out of Brisbane and back into Sydney 2 weeks later, they pulled me up wanting to figure what countries I had been into.
    The fact I was coming off a flight from Auckland should have told them but it still went to the office.

^^^ yes this is were it gets so grey doesn't it ... ahhhhhhhhhhh i was chilling out on the moon man, what's the prob dude ?

^^^^ 555555 I think your avatar shows the **** you can get into if you go about things the wrong way.........Attempted Barefooting was it????

5555 the thing with this trick is that it looks so hard, but its actually really easy, but its a surreal feeling being in that position "down on the water surface" and carving out to the extreme, you pick up speed, faster faster, your hand is skimming across the water, one leg in the air, you are stable, in control, but at the same time, so close to pain ...555

Played all those games 555555
    I see your a Goofy footer so you need to step off on the left hand nape of the wake, do you barefoot??

It's a great shot by the way, and yes being fit and doing that sort of thing was always a buzz.

We always were trying to do something different, not done.

We flew a swallow kite, lots of funny stories there, some very dangerous 555

We did barefoot pyramids, barefooted in front of the surfers on Manly beach and one of the guys, 6'3'' skinny and size 13 shoes stepped off and barefooted in the middle of the Sydney Heads !! 555555

Does Thailand have the same tax policies as Australia for it's expats? If you're an Australian citizen but work overseas, you still have to pay tax back at home as well, don't you?

Imagine being a citizen of multiple countries who all have the same policy 5555

^^^^ Bacon, LOS only taxes businesses, individuals don't pay personal tax like we do here, so not a concern.
    I do agree it could be a mess with some other countries.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I don't see the need for the missus to change her name at all. The kids will always have your name and that's all that counts.

If I got married it wouldn't bother me one bit what her last name was.

But still interested to hear the answers to your question, because I'm not sure if women change their last name in Thai culture.
    and i think people are crazy NOT to have their wives take their name if they are going to live in the west
    the benefits it provides are countless
    especially when you are dealing with visas, coming and going through customs,insurance......i think people underestimate how much people still think that taking on the husband's last name "legitimizes" the marriage

one off the top of my head:
    we were travelling to Canada from BKK and my wife only had a one way ticket and a tourist visa. the girl at check-in was questioning us and called her manager over. he looked at my wife's passport and said her last name is the same as mine and said she was fine to fly

another one:
    my sisters adore my wife, they absolutely love her. and regardless of her last name they would still love her. but the fact she has our last name makes them feel closer to her, without a doubt
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 24th January 2014 at 23:16.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    the girl at check-in was questioning us and called her manager over. he looked at my wife's passport and said her last name is the same as mine and said she was fine to fly
    I take it this was her Thai passport then. In which case, how has her family reacted to her changing her name? I know they're big on that sort of thing in Asia too.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    5555 the thing with this trick is that it looks so hard, but its actually really easy, but its a surreal feeling being in that position "down on the water surface" and carving out to the extreme, you pick up speed, faster faster, your hand is skimming across the water, one leg in the air, you are stable, in control, but at the same time, so close to pain ...555
    And Sydney, if you stack it you would get a better clean out than a LB from Bangla.

Ok that was rude, I will go stand in the corner for an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

I take it this was her Thai passport then. In which case, how has her family reacted to her changing her name? I know they're big on that sort of thing in Asia too.
    my wife and her mom took a taxi 3hrs eac way to Petchaburi the day after we got married to officially change her name
    so i guess her mom approved

i never heard of Thai's being adamant on keeping their maiden names, i just figured most don't chnage because they don't do the official registration?? but i could be wrong on that

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    ^^^^ Bacon, LOS only taxes businesses, individuals don't pay personal tax like we do here, so not a concern.
    I do agree it could be a mess with some other countries.
    sorry mate but they most certainly do.....

Personal Income Tax in Thailand - Mazars - Thailand

Does Thailand have the same tax policies as Australia for it's expats? If you're an Australian citizen but work overseas, you still have to pay tax back at home as well, don't you?

Imagine being a citizen of multiple countries who all have the same policy 5555
    it would just be a paperwork nightmare, you are not paying the tax in each country
    i have to file US tax return but my tax obligation has been taken care of in Canada
    now, if i worked in Hong Kong and only paid 15% in taxes, i would owe the US the extra 20% or whatever it was to get up to my tax obligation in US

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    sorry mate but they most certainly do.....

Personal Income Tax in Thailand - Mazars - Thailand
    Good info Nels - but -

Notes:

The Act to amend the Revenue Code will have to be passed by Parliament within March 2014 so that the new rates can take effect for the 2013 tax return to be filed in 2014.

\
    TiT 555!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Ohhh the temptation to inveigle you guys into the intricacies of International double tax treaties...5555
    If they find all your money ended up in the middle of the Atlantic or the Pacific you do time in the Monkeyhouse.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast