Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Why do Thai ladies say this?

Cadet Bronze

Why do Thai ladies say this?

Been visiting Thai online sites for awhile now,,spoken to some on skype,and have messaged quite a few.One thing I've noticed regardless of how long i' ve known them, they all sa " I miss you".
    why do they say this and what do they mean?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Send me $$
    poseidon likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bepp View Post
    Been visiting Thai online sites for awhile now,,spoken to some on skype,and have messaged quite a few.One thing I've noticed regardless of how long i' ve known them, they all sa " I miss you".
    My take on it is a bit like Auf Wiedersehen is German to express farewell, literally meaning "until we meet again" I miss you until we meet again.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Cadet Bronze
    if it really ment that stillearly i would've been cleaned out by now

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bepp View Post
    Yeah.. Funny..

I think it's because Thai don't say hello or goodbye to each-other..
    Overhearing some of the daily calls home, the equivalent of Hello is "juu sai", meaning "stop where" or where are you..
    Instead of how are you doing they will say "gin khao mai" , "have you eaten?"..
    Rest if conversation is about money made, meoney spent, money owed and money expected... 555

No goodbye's to adults, but to the kids they will say "kit tueng", sometimes many times.. (kit tueng is "miss you")
    So I guess that's the only form of goodbye they know...
    G4orce likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    From what I've managed to read by watching them it seems they don't really understand much of what they say. They just learn phrases from each other. A seasoned one will sit a newbie down and tell her "when you see him say this, after you hang up message him that, every once in a while say this to him say that to him..." and so on and so on.

Most of the time they're just automatically parroting stuff. So I wouldn't read too much into it.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    ^^And telling them not to CC e-mails to all potential sponsors, send individual e-mails.
    Always be yourself.........Unless you can be a Dragon.........Then always be a Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Soupdragon View Post
    ^^And telling them not to CC e-mails to all potential sponsors, send individual e-mails.
    Or at least learn how to use blind cc.

Imagine the sad fucks who get emails from girls with other blokes CCed. How quickly the penny must drop. But then again the human mind has infinite capacity for self delusion.

Falang: Hey Pong, who are all these guys?

TG: Sorry hunny that my brothers and papa. Me so proud you me cc.

Falang: You have brothers named Steve, Gary and Ílaf?

TG: Yes hunny.

Falang: ah ok then.
    pinecone, weitling and Sig like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Yeah.. Funny..

Really?????...so I've been wasting my time with the sawsdee khaps about 20-30 times a day....555

S̄wạs̄dī
    hello-noun
    สวัสดี
    hello, hi, good day, good morning, good afternoon, good evening

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Really?????...so I've been wasting my time with the sawsdee khaps about 20-30 times a day....555

S̄wạs̄dī
    hello-noun
    สวัสดี
    hello, hi, good day, good morning, good afternoon, good evening
    Yes, they do to strangers.. But see a girl meet friends, or phone family, or coming back to the baan after been away for months... Nothing..
    Never heard a TG say sawasdee ka when talking on the phone to friends or family..
    Nor end the conversation in any recognizable way.. When having an ear thing in, I must ask if they finished talking or are listening to their baby sleep? 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quite often they'll say hello but no indication of when a conversation is finished,silence and a blank look down at their phone or walk away from someone.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    ^^^
    No-one enters or leaves my baan without saying Sawadee to me - My baan, my rules.
    However I now notice Herself and the girls saying "goodbye"(in Thai, Lao, Khmer) on the phone

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Quite often they'll say hello but no indication of when a conversation is finished,silence and a blank look down at their phone or walk away from someone.
    I see this also when on the phone. Even if a Thai friend is calling I've seen some answer it with an english "hello?", but when it comes to the end of the conversation it's usually just a silent hang up and I always though it seemed really rude.

When you think about it though, saying goodbye is just an indication to both parties that the conversation is over. So instead of goodbye you might as well just say "over".

But if there are other cues in your language like tone of voice, then it probably acts in the same way. And Thai being a tonal language is probably full of these sort of cues which we're probably not picking up on. Otherwise Thais would be hanging up on eachother mid conversation left and right, and they're obviously not doing that. So there must come a time when each person knows exactly when they're both done talking. And that's your goodbye.

Platinum
    I miss you loosely translates to i miss your wallet 55

From what ive been told n all

I notice on US TV shows they never say goodbye at the end of phone calls either... always found that odd... is that how it is in real life too?

How do they know the conversation has finished? ...555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    ^^^
    No-one enters or leaves my baan without saying Sawadee to me - My baan, my rules.
    However I now notice Herself and the girls saying "goodbye"(in Thai, Lao, Khmer) on the phone
    everywhere I go I get a sawasdee khap/kha on meeting...not just from strangers but from thai friends and service people I see on a regular basis...I also see thai's offering it on thais as well...perhaps not with immediate family every day but to my hearing it is still often used within families..especially from youngers to elders

as for the goodbye bit....there are lots of goodbyes in the Thai language...are you guys sure you just aren't hearing them?....here's just a few...

Sawasdee Khap

Pop gahn

Hen khun

Hen Khun reaw reaw

bpai bpai

bpai gohn nee

Lagorn

Lagorn thee dee

I hear these regularly exchanged between Thais....but will agree less so with the shorter winded Issaan speakers

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I notice on US TV shows they never say goodbye at the end of phone calls either... always found that odd... is that how it is in real life too?

How do they know the conversation has finished? ...555
    The dialling tone could be a bit of a clue 555
    poseidon likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post

as for the goodbye bit....there are lots of goodbyes in the Thai language...are you guys sure you just aren't hearing them?....here's just a few...

Sawasdee Khap

Pop gahn

Hen khun

Hen Khun reaw reaw

bpai bpai

bpai gohn nee

Lagorn

Lagorn thee dee

I hear these regularly exchanged between Thais....but will agree less so with the shorter winded Issaan speakers
    My mob only just started saying "bye bye" because they picked it up from my young bloke who likes to wave and say it....before that nothing.

I use to use "lagawn" but often got fairly blank looks and and no response so dropped it a long time ago.

If leaving a bar or restaurant there's always someone saying something..."ka". I just say see you next time if i know them or a thank you if they're being polite...never wai back....sometimes a nod of the head.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Yeah.. Funny..

Overhearing some of the daily calls home, the equivalent of Hello is "juu sai", meaning "stop where" or where are you..
    Instead of how are you doing they will say "gin khao mai" , "have you eaten?"..
    Rest if conversation is about money made, meoney spent, money owed and money expected... 555

No goodbye's to adults, but to the kids they will say "kit tueng", sometimes many times.. (kit tueng is "miss you")
    So I guess that's the only form of goodbye they know...
    but funny enough, you don't hear them saying "i miss you" to other Thai adults
    mmmm.....i wonder why that would be 555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast