Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Changone

Thread: TG In Perth - Social Events

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

TG In Perth - Social Events

All things Thai in Perth

With some of our newer TG's just starting out here in Perth I Thought I'd start a thread where BM's can tell us about social things happening here where the ladies can indulge their "Cultural side".
    (Somtum, Thai food and Shopping stories....what were you thinking?).

This Sunday we attended the Bodhinyana Monastery
    Bodhinyana Forest Monastery

Map

http://cms.bodhinyana.org.au/wp-cont...-1-212x300.png

They are there most weeks and if you get there about ten am and bring some rice you can do the alms giving to the Monks before attending the sangha giving and receiving blessing about 11.00am

Kathina - 12th October 2014

They have just just celebrated Kathina.
    The best way I can describe it would be like “Easter for Buddhists”.

The other thing was that it was the biggest gathering of Thai people from all over Perth That I've ever seen.

Even had some waving a banner which said “Thai Community Rockingham”.

The event was so big, they couldn't hold it at the monastery itself, they had to go up the road a piece to the
    Meditation centre, a huge estate even bigger than the monastery itself.

The huge meeting hall was bursting at the seams but the Abbott still made it to everyone with the holy water raising laughter at his attempts to get everywhere with his limited sized bowl.

We had a long line for the “Alms giving”, So much rice that it was all they could do to collect and carry it in huge buckets as the monks emptied their bards.

Everyone got into the spirit of “Dress ups” on the day with lovely kids all looking like princes and princesses from past times.

The Thai dancing got underway with more than 30 dancers from all parts of Thailand, all led by you guessed it, the "Ladyboy" in full authentic costume, which was a real crowd pleaser and made them all miss home.

I am not kidding when I say there must have been more than 1,000 there as witnessed by the food line. We waited till later and there was still masses of food and drink. I think I even spotted the jar of coffee we donated a few weeks back...555

The dancing culminated in heaps of people joining is as all the Ipads Samsungs, and Iphones were recording friends having fun, even old “Falang ba” dancing.

Before the big finale the crowd all saluted the Royal Family, and people sang patriotic songs did some rousing cheers in Thai.

They had a lot of the “Money trees” and had a procession going three times around the monks building with lots of cymbals and what can best be described as “whooping and hollering”.

The Abbott was heard to say to the crowd
    “It is said that the only way you can get money out of people is if there are kicking and screaming........so there goes your proof”...555

Later when the money trees were presented, he said
    “So many trees...but I predict a storm is coming and all the leaves fall from the trees.....”

And another gem...
    “Anyone who stay back and help after the ceremony....Double merit on offer”...

He is one good communicator.
    Where is Ajahn Brahm? - Where is Ajahn Brahm

A great day was had by all.

Quarky and Hatari like this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    ^^I agree the Abbott has a great sense of humour and makes the trip more than worth it.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Was supposed to go as well , but i had to work so that put an end to that !
    !qq!

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Weve been to the Thai Food Fair which is on once per month(was on last sunday), the second Sunday of the month, great choice of Thai Food in takeway form, there is a few tables if you want to sit down and eat there, seems popular : http://www.taawa.org.au/downloads/TH...AIR%202014.pdf
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Loi Krathong is coming up.
    Looks like they had something last year.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    Loi Krathong is coming up.
    Looks like they had something last year.
    From memory it was down on the River somewhere down at East Perth

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    From memory it was down on the River somewhere down at East Perth
    All the info usually posted here https://www.facebook.com/thaiaustw?fref=ts
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese