Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Changone
  • 3 Post By Dazza
  • 1 Post By Jero

Thread: TG Wants Marriage But No Thai Ceremony

Wink TG Wants Marriage But No Thai Ceremony

Anyone experience same? TG lives works in Bangkok and after couple years close good relationship says yes to me to marriage, but does not want home Issan Village Thai ceremony. OK to marry in my West country with no Village celebration whatsoever. TG finacee close with her family, no conflicts and supports parents for many years along with other 2 sisters. Fiancee is 33, no kids, no previous married. Thought Thai Village ceremony is expected and mandatory! I'm surprised.
    Last edited by Jero; 15th November 2014 at 11:19.

Sounds ok to me. We did registry marriage months before the village ceremony which frankly, I could have done without. Lots of eating and drinking and show for the family. Some families may insist upon it but if your inlaws to be aren't fussed, so be it.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    First of all, welcome to the board Jero.
    Interesting. You asked her to marry you and she hadn't even hinted at it before?
    Have you been to the village and met the parents yet?
    If so, was there a string ceremony? How do the parents, family etc treat you right now?
    Isaan TG don't usually marry at all without mum and dad's say so.

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Ha ha, her parents are no fussed maybe but still expect sin sot. Working that out with fiancee.

Yes did meet her parents and all siblings. Yes was string "ceremony" on the evening of our last day visit, that included some nieces and nephews. Fiancee and I had dozens of wrist strings on when we left her Village.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Sounds like it's all been "Approved" then. ^KR.
    How do they expect to get the Sin Sot if not during the "Wedding"? (And I don't mean Western Union...555).
    Stillearly likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jero View Post
    Yes did meet her parents and all siblings. Yes was string "ceremony" on the evening of our last day visit, that included some nieces and nephews. Fiancee and I had dozens of wrist strings on when we left her Village.
    Your already married !!! 55555 welcome to the board :-)
    Quarky, Changone and Nomad like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ beat me to it 55

Congrats Jero.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Shock! Horror! Gasp! What do you know... the world in changing and and not every TG and TG family is a stereo-type... 5555 ( A decade ago my in-laws declined to display the sin-sot, they felt it was tacky to do so)

HI Jero, WTTB.

Actually mate, I think that now you are married you are finding out what many on this board with long term partners have found out also ....these girls DO have a mind of their own and are not all the same in what they think, say and do ....

IMHO... I would let my "wife" have it her way on this one...

Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    My wife and I got married on the Beach in Phuket in a typical western celebrant ceremony . That was beginning of 2012,since then , there has never been any mention of a Village wedding .
    !qq!

Haha, yes perhaps you are indeed correct. Fiancee calls me Sami..

I assumed the village was a given because both older sisters had village weddings, including one who married Japanese fellow and moved there directly after the ceremony. But my fiancee is somewhat Westernized and been on her own for 10 years. So l'm going with the flow on this, and Mai pben rai!
    Quarky likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    welcome to the board Jero....

so.....I'll ask...how much sinsot and does your Mrs support the request for it?

if there is no village wedding party and it is an amount roughly equivalent to that...I'd tend to go along with the Mrs

Don't believe all the stuff you hear and readů. Just go with the flow.

"Married" to the Thai way of thinking is openly living in some kind of partnership, registered or not. You are effectively already married.

Marriage registration is easily done at the local Tambon or Amphur office. Convenient / essential for some official purposes, some do it, some don't bother; its not a big deal.

Divorce is similarly easily sorted.

A village wedding is just a big party. Some like to make a big show of things; some don't bother. Either way it is not a big deal.

For marriage / partnership immigration purposes, some countries require a registered marriage. For others registered marriage or not is of minor importance these days. Other evidence of a bona fide relationship is more relevant.
    Last edited by Mick; 15th November 2014 at 20:50.

Yes, sin sot maybe slightly more than village wedding if including gold for mother - in-law. Yes, fiancee supports amount suggested.

Yes, thanks for the advice. We're being wed in my country, then can immediately apply for her permanent residence visa allowing us to live together in either or both countries as we choose.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    My TW thoughts on the matter. Every girl around the world dreams of "their" day. Not so in this case. You can have a day in any way you want.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"