Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 212
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: How much western food does your TG eat?

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990

    How much western food does your TG eat?

    The answers will be different from the guys whose TG lives in the west than the expats.

    My wife actually has always been pretty open minded from a very long time about western food, even before she moved to Canada.

    She liked steak, all types of seafood dishes.
    Going to a restaurant, even when she 1st got here, was never a concern..... we'd always find something for her. Usually a seafood dish

    Although her diet is still predominantly Thai she will eat pretty much anything

    I was shocked the other day when she asked me to order extra cheese on our pizza!!


    Some of her favorites:
    Salmon......loves it
    Donuts
    Croissants
    Hot wings


    One thing I thought she'd love and she won't really try too much of it is sushi

  2. #2
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    7,105
    Mine will try most, but 2 meats are a definite no no .. lamb and beef, which is good and bad, but it has made in cut down on steak ...

    Cheese she eats, but not a big fan... loves eating Mac and KFC ... but chicken only

    We still eat more Thai dishes for dinner then western food, that includes when the kids are with me every 2nd week.

    Donuts with coffee .. YES ..555
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

  3. #3
    Cadet Gold mechime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    340

    Love fish and suffer

    I used to get a "don't like" eg for beef noodles etc but mostly, I think now, it is because she has not tried, or read something contrary, or just prefers Thai food, mostly fish; when I first went to her home she cooked me some awesome cheese flavoured mashed potato and bbq beef, I thought I would be the only one eating it but I had to share with a whole bunch of relatives, now each visit beef is on the menu.
    Liking fish so much she once got a fish bone stuck in her throat, didn't feel it until about an hour and ice cream later, did all the googled fixes with no result, she was spitting blood, two clinic and three hospital visits with the doctors maintaining "it only feels like it is still there" (common) and a painful antibiotic injection, 2 lots of tablets and 15 minute intravenous drip (talk about 3rd World abuse of antibiotics when she did not even have a fever) eventually, third day I spotted it and took a picture and only then the Dr grabbed her tongue with a swab (instead of pressing down with a spatula) and hooked it out; it was stuck at the back of her tongue and pricking her left tonsil, causing the bleeding. She was a loving patient throughout and still enjoys fish meals, amazing, I now pack some long forceps, as my own efforts, with chop sticks, had been a failure 555. Photo to put you off fish!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,446
    Jo's an 'international' lady ... until a smelly fish craving returns

    NZ Mussels or Hoki offset works ok.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  5. #5
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,256
    Ham cheese croissant and the odd donut.
    Has taken to our bench top oven doing a roll of pork but not so much beef but wil eat.
    Will eat lamb but this depends on how prepared and cooked.
    Fish and chips for sure not so much sweet more savoury but this does not count out the odd magnum ice cream.
    But still more Thai than not.

    Has taken a few favourites from indo and India and put her spin on them makes an amazing beef Rendang and her Vindaloo is fan firkin tastic.
    .

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Ham cheese croissant and the odd donut.
    Has taken to our bench top oven doing a roll of pork but not so much beef but wil eat.
    Will eat lamb but this depends on how prepared and cooked.
    Fish and chips for sure not so much sweet more savoury but this does not count out the odd magnum ice cream.
    But still more Thai than not.

    Has taken a few favourites from indo and India and put her spin on them makes an amazing beef Rendang and her Vindaloo is fan firkin tastic.
    Haha
    Ao loves Magum bars 555

  7. #7
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    8,846
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Haha
    Ao loves Magum bars 555

    But Magnums are Thai.......555

    TBH I get the hump with TGs who won't eat western food at all...especially when they are my mates GFs...they always get their way and we always end up eating Thai...and then they have a whinge about the Thai food unless they had total control on the choice of the restaurant

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    But Magnums are Thai.......555

    TBH I get the hump with TGs who won't eat western food at all...especially when they are my mates GFs...they always get their way and we always end up eating Thai...and then they have a whinge about the Thai food unless they had total control on the choice of the restaurant
    I remember going to Dodger's Xmas party and they had to have thai food for the girls
    I though that was a bit disrespectful, to be honest

    It is a party celebrating our holiday, they can't partake for a day in our food?
    You here guys go on and on about Thai culture but most times they don't seem to expect the same from their tg's about their own culture

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,932
    hmmm...GF's western foods....."hum yai"...that's about it!!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  10. #10
    Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Hatari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    6,581
    I wouldn't pressure MsH to eat any western food she didn't want to. Where's the 'respect' in that?
    As with the rest of her family, no red meat, coffee, tea, tobacco, makes occasional exception - rest of family don't ever drink - for alcohol (Pernod!), she keeps a healthy diet and tries to keep me on one, exercises, takes part in several sports.
    Doesn't like anything bread-based/pizza etc - doesn't digest, same with dairy products, fair enough can't change habits of a lifetime, just as I can't adapt to the levels of chili despite approaching 6yrs trying. Loves chicken-based and vege Indian food on our trips to Malaysia/Singapore, otherwise it's mostly Thai all the way.

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    I wouldn't pressure MsH to eat any western food she didn't want to. Where's the 'respect' in that?
    As with the rest of her family, no red meat, coffee, tea, tobacco, makes occasional exception - rest of family don't ever drink - for alcohol (Pernod!), she keeps a healthy diet and tries to keep me on one, exercises, takes part in several sports.
    Doesn't like anything bread-based/pizza etc - doesn't digest, same with dairy products, fair enough can't change habits of a lifetime, just as I can't adapt to the levels of chili despite approaching 6yrs trying. Loves chicken-based and vege Indian food on our trips to Malaysia/Singapore, otherwise it's mostly Thai all the way.
    How many people's parties have you gone to where you didn't try their food?

    How many times have you tried a different Thai food?

    Trying other people's food is a sign of respect to me, done all over the world
    You don't have to dive in but I think not partaking is disrespectful and a bit ignorant.

    I've tried so many foods that I didn't think would be very appealing to me just to show respect to the people offering it

    I ate rat last year in Thailand. I wasn't turned off at the aspect of eating it, but wasn't thrilled. But it was Songkran and my wife's friend's mom was proud of her dish so I ate a whole bowl.
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 20th December 2014 at 03:13.

  12. #12
    Cadet Gold mechime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    340
    When we drove down the AH2 area Nakhon Sawan, my TGF was reading out what the roadside stalls sold some were Rat and bird, I said you must mean mouse, she said no, it is a different type of rat that lives in the fields, I says mouse, so she was right again and Marc26 ate some !! did not say whether you enjoyed it, guess I am going to have to try it some day 555
    TGF's daughter likes sushi and often gets a 20THB treat tray in the local market.
    Last edited by mechime; 20th December 2014 at 04:33.

  13. #13
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51,162
    I quite liked rat. Though I was pretty hungry... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Quote Originally Posted by mechime View Post
    When we drove down the AH2 area Nakhon Sawan, my TGF was reading out what the roadside stalls sold some were Rat and bird, I said you must mean mouse, she said no, it is a different type of rat that lives in the fields, I says mouse, so she was right again and Marc26 ate some !! did not say whether you enjoyed it, guess I am going to have to try it some day 555
    TGF's daughter likes sushi and often gets a 20THB treat tray in the local market.
    I didn't like the way it was prepared, it was all chopped up with the bones included........so very bony but apparently from a convo I just had the other day with a group of Thais..........that is how they like it.

    I keep saying i'd like to try it as sort of how we eat chicken but I don't know if it is ever served that way

    In Thailand I have had frog, crocodile, and rat..........can't think of any other different meats I have eaten in Thailand

  15. #15
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    I wouldn't pressure MsH to eat any western food she didn't want to. Where's the 'respect' in that?
    As with the rest of her family, no red meat, coffee, tea, tobacco, makes occasional exception - rest of family don't ever drink - for alcohol (Pernod!), she keeps a healthy diet and tries to keep me on one, exercises, takes part in several sports.
    Doesn't like anything bread-based/pizza etc - doesn't digest, same with dairy products, fair enough can't change habits of a lifetime, just as I can't adapt to the levels of chili despite approaching 6yrs trying. Loves chicken-based and vege Indian food on our trips to Malaysia/Singapore, otherwise it's mostly Thai all the way.
    Never pressured mine have to say just over time more western food crept in....I would cook something for me and MW would say that smells nice let me try.55555
    I remember thinking I was good with chili before I met MW..........Nah.5555
    .

  16. #16
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,256
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I didn't like the way it was prepared, it was all chopped up with the bones included........so very bony but apparently from a convo I just had the other day with a group of Thais..........that is how they like it.

    I keep saying i'd like to try it as sort of how we eat chicken but I don't know if it is ever served that way

    In Thailand I have had frog, crocodile, and rat..........can't think of any other different meats I have eaten in Thailand
    Bones add flavour...field rat clean not like BKK rats but I still won't eat or the squirrels that are caught.
    .

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Bones add flavour...field rat clean not like BKK rats but I still won't eat or the squirrels that are caught.
    Sitting in a park in Toronto
    A bunch of squirrels running around.....Ao asks wahtvyou call them. I tell her squirrels.
    It the dawns on me.....I've never seen a squirrel in Thailand

    Ao says, with the most devilish grin...."because we eat them all" 555
    wabbits, Quarky and Gazmac like this.

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,990
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Bones add flavour...field rat clean not like BKK rats but I still won't eat or the squirrels that are caught.
    I think bone adds flavor to pork chops and steaks but this was all chopped up like minced bone
    Maybe it did add favor to that also

    The taste wasn't bad at all just the texture of the bones

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,932
    rats they eat out in isaan are caught in the rice fields so grain fed. they'd turn their noses up at gutter rats.

    out our way they only eat them bbq.




    TG order fried chicken pieces one time and it was all the gristly pieces that i discard when i eat chicken...i more or less just picked the fried crumbs off of them 55

    another time ordered crab and the TG was eating it shell and all....didn't impress her much!
    wabbits likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  20. #20
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,256
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I think bone adds flavor to pork chops and steaks but this was all chopped up like minced bone
    Maybe it did add favor to that also

    The taste wasn't bad at all just the texture of the bones
    I understand eating trad tom yum gai is like eating fish watch for bones or fragments of bones.55555
    Yummy but.
    .

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •