Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: The mother's boyfriend - alcohol and a gun

The mother's boyfriend - alcohol and a gun

NZ: Former Taranaki man shot in Thailand

A former Taranaki (New Zealand) man who was shot twice in Thailand wrestling a gun from his mother's boyfriend is recovering well in hospital.

Jamie Smith, who has a Thai mother, took a bullet to his groin and one to his arm trying to disarm Amnat Lakupa-Pakavin who attempted to shoot his brother Ronnie last week.

Jamie, who moved to Thailand after finishing high school, said Ronnie had gone to visit their mother and got into an argument with Lakupa-Pakavin.

"Ronnie took off and mum started calling me looking for Ronnie. She was worried because her boyfriend had a gun," Jamie said over the phone from Phuket.

Jamie then went to his mother's place in the hopes of calming the situation down.

However, when Ronnie returned to the address another confrontation started and Lakupa-Pakavin pulled a gun.

And that's when Jamie rushed to his brother's aide.

"I knew he had the gun and when Ronnie came I saw him pull it out and went running in. It was just automatic [reaction]," he said.

"The gun went off and I got hit in the groin and it came out my butt cheek and another one hit my arm. It was chaos at the time. I was just trying to get the gun off him so he couldn't shoot anyone," Jamie said.

Lakupa-pakavin was also hit and is believed to have suffered wounds to his arm and stomach.

"I got the gun off him and Ronnie went and hid it and then we went to hospital and called police," Jamie said.

The .38 revolver used in the shooting was found later at the scene.

Family said Jamie was a hero and had saved his brother's life.

However, the 30-year-old was quick to play down his bravery.

While still in hospital, Jamie said he wasn't in any pain and his wounds weren't serious.

Police are investigating and Jamie said he'd give evidence once discharged.

Chalong Police Lieutenant Colonel Jamroon Plaiduang told the Phuket Gazette Lakupa-Pakavin had been drinking with friends before the shooting.

"We will question witnesses before deciding on whether or not to pursue criminal charges," Plaiduang told the Gazette.

See also Phuket Gazette article New Zealander shot in scuffle with Thai stepfather in Phuket

Mr Amnat was rushed to Vachira Hospital with a gunshot wound to the hip after he allegedly tried to shoot his 25-year-old stepson with a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    "We will question witnesses before deciding on whether or not to pursue criminal charges," Plaiduang told the Gazette.
    Good luck with that.

Phuket gets the best headlines - from the Gazette today

• Two teens dead in Phuket Town midday shootout
    • Tourist slashes own throat at Phuket resort
    • Unidentified body found with knife lodged in head at Phuket pier

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Tourist slashes own throat......WTF??
    Open and shut case....Suicide....
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Last edited by Changone; 2nd February 2015 at 15:23.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?