Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: The family has landed

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

The family has landed

Well.....i can say for certain i have one happy wife and one very happy dog in my household!

I flew back to Canada today with my MIL and stepson for their 1st visit.
    The flight over was uneventful and my stepson, 14yrs old, is just a smart kid so was able to deal with the hostesses much easier than me or my wife thought. His English and understanding of it has improved dramatically so i guess we are getting our money's worth from his school!

Immigration at Vancouver was a breeze. We figured they would throw us into customs but only asked a few questions at passport control......my wife and I were very surprised.

So i will post some of their thoughts and funny happenings along the way.
    Just as i expected thet werent overly excited and to be honest......i still think that lack of curiosity is a flaw but i am gping to channel Mai Chob and say that also means they don't expect much and are happy just to hang in the house and eat!!

They are here for 6 weeks

Best of luck for 6 weeks 555

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Nice one, not sure i have ever read much about family members coming to visit, its normally the other way round, so will be interesting to hear about.

How old is MIL ? she from a village right, so i would have thought a big thing to travel on a plane and to another country, they must have being the talk of the village at least ?

And what about on take off, any worried looks ?

Yeah that non-excitement annoys me in a funny way.... but tbh i think us lot are to far the other way.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Are you sleeping in the dog's room yet Paulie... 555
    jontymate and Zablive like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Nice one, not sure i have ever read much about family members coming to visit, its normally the other way round, so will be interesting to hear about.

How old is MIL ? she from a village right, so i would have thought a big thing to travel on a plane and to another country, they must have being the talk of the village at least ?

And what about on take off, any worried looks ?

Yeah that non-excitement annoys me in a funny way.... but tbh i think us lot are to far the other way.
    My MIL is 53yrs old. She from a village but lived BKK for 30 years now. She has flown in Thailand but never a long Intl flight. Both were not phased

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    I am sure they will have a great time.
    My mate Jeff from Udon is over here in SA for a month with his GF. It is amazing as to how quickly she has fitted in with his friends and family, she is having a great time.
    Sometimes we tend to underestimate the ability of Thai's to adapt to a new environment. And a holiday is different from having to adjust to living there permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    My mate Jeff from Udon is over here in SA for a month with his GF. It is amazing as to how quickly she has fitted in with his friends and family, she is having a great time.
    Sometimes we tend to underestimate the ability of Thai's to adapt to a new environment. And a holiday is different from having to adjust to living there permanently.
    Oh......my wife adapted in a minute
    But also much easier saying that where we live with the Asian culture and we are downtown.
    As for friends and family......that wasnt even a concern of mine. I knew she'd be fine and even moreso.....i knew my family and friends would be great with her

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Nice thread Paulie. I look forward to it developing. Would you say it may give you some insight to how your step son would cope should he move permanently? Dao has always resisted her family coming to visit in Australia for reasons I don't truly understand.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Dao has always resisted her family coming to visit in Australia for reasons I don't truly understand.
    I can understand that....the last thing I would want is MY family moving to LoS....555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I can understand that....the last thing I would want is MY family moving to LoS....555
    I'm not too far from allocating time to a 10 baht tour. You can fill me in further than perhap?
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Once they realize there is no "nong, pi " crap going on they assimilate quickly IME.
    Besides, people who really care about you are pleased to see you happy.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I'm not too far from allocating time to a 10 baht tour. You can fill me in further than perhap?
    shoooah....can do....would be a pleasure to show you "the backgarden" Jont...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Oh , good news !

So what are you doing sitting there typing man?
    To the markets , TOO THE MARKETS !!!

The son is staying on is he not?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Good luck Paul, I hope all goes well for you and things work out well for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Oh , good news !

So what are you doing sitting there typing man?
    To the markets , TOO THE MARKETS !!!

The son is staying on is he not?
    They went and loaded up already while I napped!

No, my stepson is going back for supposedly 1 more year.........we will see

Nice thread Paulie. I look forward to it developing. Would you say it may give you some insight to how your step son would cope should he move permanently? Dao has always resisted her family coming to visit in Australia for reasons I don't truly understand.
    I know my stepson would cope real well...........he is such a good kid and he is smart..........I predict his English will be much improved in just these 6 weeks
    He was already off on his own to 7/11 a few hours after he got here

But he is 14yrs old..........no kid wants to leave his home at that age

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    I bet Ao is very happy at the moment Paul, im sure the 6 weeks will a memory they will not forget.

What game of sports will you be taking the young bloke to?.................is ice hockey the main sport to watch in Canada?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    I bet Ao is very happy at the moment Paul, im sure the 6 weeks will a memory they will not forget.

What game of sports will you be taking the young bloke to?.................is ice hockey the main sport to watch in Canada?
    Ao was smiling ear to ear when she met us at airport
    I remarked to her that i never see that smile when it is just me coming back home 555

Hockey but it is the playoffs and since he'd have little interest than i ain't spending that money on them

But i live next to our soccer stadium so will take him to see soccer and maybe minor leauge baseball

A little update after 5 or 6 days.

1st off, my wife is happy as hell, so any thoughts i have either way are rather insignificant

I think they are a bit bored, to be honest with you and wouldn't be surprised if they want to go home in 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks.
    But the thing is, they really show no interest in anything else but watching movies and eating.....lots and lots of eating!!

They are much more brave than i thought. They walk down to Ao's work on their own most nights.

They eat so fcuking much!!!

For me personally, having them in the house hasnt been a big deal although the apartment is too small for all of us. But I am actually pretty laid back with that, i grew up with 5-6 in small apartments so don't really mind it.

My stepson is much smarter than i thought while at the same time being much dopier in the common sense department 555
    He is just one of those slow moving, a bit immature type kids. Needs to be directed to focus a lot.
    But his English and understanding is much better than i thought. So we can go out alone and pretty much get by good enough.
    But any miscommunication falls on me.....i should know much more Thai than i do.

So everything is good and they are easy.
    I'd say the only struggle is just having different philosophies in life. They will just sit there staring into space, watching animated movie after animated movie and eat. Whereas i always want to do something. So that has me on edge only because my instinct is to be showing them things and i just worry they are not enjoying themselves.

But we just dont seem to have similar interests. We planned all the trips to show them Vancouver but it seems to barely register with them and i honestly don't know if i want to put the money and time into some of the weekend trips we were thinkimg about.
    Today we took a 2 hour drive to see Tulip festival. 1st drive outside of downtown and both of them are passed out within 10mins. It is not like that bothered me but it just baffles me. Just makes me so curious how they could hear about a place for 9 years, get here and not even want to keep their eyes open to see an entirely new place.

So it's going pretty good....i just don't see them lasting 6 weeks.

Hey......they are cooking again, its been 45 mins since the last tome 555

We got some great pictures at the Tulip festival i will post

Buy them some water pistols... and tell them Songkran starts in Vancouver on Friday... tell them to squirt anyone they see... 555

Sounds like unless they are actually participating in something... they'll be bored... any activity trips you can take them on? What about a restaurant crawl... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast