Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A word a day

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar

A word a day

As time moves on you start to realise what a long process it is for your TG to master the english lanuage. Some times when the TV is on or when my kids are talking to me i pretend to myself i have JK's ears on and try to decipher how much she is actually understanding. I find it interesting to do this as i know roughy what she can understand and what she can't. I try to imagine how fustrating this could be for her. Her and i can communicate no problem, but outside of that its another world .....or should i say word !!.

One little exercise we do every day is on the way to work every morining i will give her a new word. But with 176,000 words in the Oxford dictionary this could take a lot of trips to work to cover them all...55555

When me marry she will do the free 500 hour english classes and i think this will be the biggest help. Anyone ese have a wife doing this now ???

However it is surprising how just one word ( and i always choose a word that i know i will use alot) can help. Very soon that word will come up again in converstation and we will think YES covered.

slowly slowy catch the monkey
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    As time moves on you start to realise what a long process it is for your TG to master the english lanuage. Some times when the TV is on or when my kids are talking to me i pretend to myself i have JK's ears on and try to decipher how much she is actually understanding. I find it interesting to do this as i know roughy what she can understand and what she can't. I try to imagine how fustrating this could be for her. Her and i can communicate no problem, but outside of that its another world .....or should i say word !!.

One little exercise we do every day is on the way to work every morining i will give her a new word. But with 176,000 words in the Oxford dictionary this could take a lot of trips to work to cover them all...55555

When me marry she will do the free 500 hour english classes and i think this will be the biggest help. Anyone ese have a wife doing this now ???

However it is surprising how just one word ( and i always choose a word that i know i will use alot) can help. Very soon that word will come up again in converstation and we will think YES covered.

slowly slowy catch the monkey
    Joy start this coming term, she is looking forward to it. She is maybe further ahead of JK but they are smart cookies mate you watch her leap ahead quicker than you think.

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Ning did the 500 hours and has now finished. I guess it helped but I think working at the restaurant has helped more. She now answers the phone and takes the takeaway orders.

Before the last trip to LOS I did what you guys are doing but I learnt one Thai word or phrase every day on the way to work.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    Ning did the 500 hours and has now finished.
    Condo how long did it take Ning to complete ? was it full time?....and sorry mate but 1 more....did she find it at all boring ??

What a great country this is...." welcome new immigrant, you probably haven't paid any taxes yet but here is a free 500 hour course for you."

How much would you normally pay for a course like this $5000.00 ??
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Condo how long did it take Ning to complete ? was it full time?....and sorry mate but 1 more....did she find it at all boring ??

What a great country this is...." welcome new immigrant, you probably haven't paid any taxes yet but here is a free 500 hour course for you."

Ning went 1 day per week.

About a year and a half and yes found it boring.

I think she spent more time at Yum Cha across the road with some of her classmates. Probably not a good idea to put language school next to Westfield shopping centre, too many distractions

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Sydney, when your wife gets her "Temporary" two year visa she will be entitled to 500 hours at AMEP, but don't forget all those visa fees you will have paid..!
    FYI As a refugee she would get in for nothing and get 800 hours.
    After the hours run out you pay $750 a school term but you can't stay at AMEP you have to go to TAFE.

Nut has been going full time now for two terms and will get a level two English certificate by the end of this month.
    Yes, it is bloody hard work at that rate, lots of homework for you to assist with, also the computer access.
    Can't speak for your part of the world but at Fremantle, great social atmosphere there with new people from all over the world including Thai.
    AMEP - Certificate II in Spoken and Written English
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Is it a noticeable difference C1?

Well PBB, she still speaks English with a Thai accent..555

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I have been using this method lately to learn Thai and I feel that its a very good way to keep it in the memory bank. I forget most of the things i learn if I try to remember to many things at the one time.

Good luck to you and JK, she will get there in good time. Just remember you only have the rest of your lives... 555

^ I think a word a day is hard but if you can put into a sentence that makes sense maybe easier, or word combo's
    Talk about food prob a good idea.

Kin kow mai?....have you eaten (loose trans)
    Mai kin kow......no i have not
    or Beer ow Kap...beer please, very important for the beer bar traveller.5555

Simple ones but a word with out a context hard to remember...better you do the tinglish thing at first to hep remember.
    Like jai yen yen ...wooo baby

Just my thoughts..

I get a word a day sent to my Iphone, only problem is that they are not the most useful words going around... I had Rot Doy San Kha-Nart Lek... Minibus, and Phu Chai Sart Tra Charn... Associate

Has anyone had any luck with Thai/English translator machines?
    Some of the girls have got speaking ones now.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I get a word a day sent to my Iphone, only problem is that they are not the most useful words going around... I had Rot Doy San Kha-Nart Lek... Minibus, and Phu Chai Sart Tra Charn... Associate
    "My associate is in the mini bus." - Yeah, there's an ice-breaker alright....5555

Reminds me of using the "Rosetta Stone" program before I went to Thailand the first time - I arrived able to say useless phrases like "the boy and the dog are under the airplane" (Work that into a conversation at Soi Cowboy and I'll buy you a beer!!)- but I did not know basics like "thank you" "where's the toilet?" or even "yes and no".

Agree with Wabbits for me it is easier to hang onto a phrase than a single word - especially something that will be useful like ordering your fav food, for me it was Chicken Fried with Cashew Nuts = gai pat min mamuang himmaphan

Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Sydney, when your wife gets her "Temporary" two year visa she will be entitled to 500 hours at AMEP, but don't forget all those visa fees you will have paid..!
    FYI As a refugee she would get in for nothing and get 800 hours.
    After the hours run out you pay $750 a school term but you can't stay at AMEP you have to go to TAFE.

Nut has been going full time now for two terms and will get a level two English certificate by the end of this month.
    Yes, it is bloody hard work at that rate, lots of homework for you to assist with, also the computer access.
    Can't speak for your part of the world but at Fremantle, great social atmosphere there with new people from all over the world including Thai.
    AMEP - Certificate II in Spoken and Written English
    C1 do you have a link for this as not sure out in the blackblocks we can access this at the small TAFE's.

Sorry just saw your link oops
    Last edited by Arliss Michaels; 12th April 2011 at 12:57. Reason: AM is blind
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

I have reset the software on my office laser printer to speak thai so I now know exactly how to say
    "Printing started", "Printing complete", "Add paper to printer" & "Paper jam"
    The things we do.......

It's still not going to do me any good in Soi Cowboy though Mr M...555

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Reminds me of using the "Rosetta Stone" program before I went to Thailand the first time - I arrived able to say useless phrases like "the boy and the dog are under the airplane" (Work that into a conversation at Soi Cowboy and I'll buy you a beer!!)
    You forgot "The boy in the Blue Sweater under the White Airplane".... 555

You forgot "The boy in the Blue Sweater under the White Airplane".... 555
    Is that slang for a LadyBoy go with big pale butterfly farang? 555

[SIZE="1"]Edit. Oh dear.. talking about LBs again... oops[/SIZE]
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Is that slang for a LadyBoy go with big pale butterfly farang? 555

[SIZE="1"]Edit. Oh dear.. talking about LBs again... oops[/SIZE]
    Yep, there you go again...
    I'm sure if you ask Wabs nicely he would add a LB section for you! 555

Yep, there you go again...
    I'm sure if you ask Wabs nicely he would add a LB section for you! 555
    It would have to be called the lady bloke section 555555

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    It would have to be called the lady bloke section 555555
    Could have a thread called "Alternative Lifestyles"

Just saying... not for me of course... but you never know who might join the forum with a section like that... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast