Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Thai teenagers

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Thai teenagers

Well, the 2 oldest kids in our Thai side of the family, my stepson and niece, are now both teenagers.
    My niece is going on 17 and my stepson will be 15 next month.

And they are typical teenagers, wanting to hang out with their friends more, asking for things their friends have(my niece, not my stepson).
    Well I should say typical modern Thai kids.

And what is sort of fascinating and different to observe it the whole thing has taken my wife by surprise whereas it just seems they are regular teenagers to me.

And the reason I think our reactions are different to the kids is my wife really didn't have a teenage life.
    She worked from 13yrs old.

I also think Thais are a lot prosperous now to provide for some of these teenage distractions previous generations didn't have.

Still funny when my wife is bewildered her 14yr old son would rather hang with his friends than take a 12hr drive to Issan to visit in-laws

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

You sound like some kind of a "Peter Pan"...555
    If you could really remember what it was like to be a teenager, then you would understand them a whole lot better, but we all know that doesn't work.
    Problem is the ageing process makes us forget, as we inexorably turn into the thing we dreaded.......our own parents...555
    PeteGill likes this.

I just look at poems I wrote as a teenager (yes I kept them all.. 55) and I can see exactly what I was like... angst attack... 55

Ask Au if her son writes poems.. that should liven things up... ;-)
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

If you could really remember what it was like to be a teenager, then you would understand them a whole lot better, but we all know that doesn't work.
    Problem is the ageing process makes us forget, as we inexorably turn into the thing we dreaded.......our own parents...555
    Even to the point of adopting their sayings.... That music you listen to is rubbish 55555

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Even to the point of adopting their sayings.... That music you listen to is rubbish 55555
    I can even remember when my dad started "Liking" the new Rolling Stones songs, so we switched to "The Who".
    "Don't try to dig what we all....S..S...S...Saaayyy"...555
    PeteGill and Dupree like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    I can even remember when my dad started "Liking" the new Rolling Stones songs, so we switched to "The Who".
    "Don't try to dig what we all....S..S...S...Saaayyy"...555
    I hope I die before I get old.... Only one did.... One lasted quite a bit longer and the last two look plain silly singing those lines now....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar

I remember my sister playing with my daughter ....there is a big age gap. When she lost interest she placed my daughter (who could not sit unaided) on the lounge and walked away. My daughter rolled off on to the floor and the blood was gushing.555555 My kids are now adults and hers have just hit the teenage years.

The dialogue has so, so much changed.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    I hope I die before I get old.... Only one did.... One lasted quite a bit longer and the last two look plain silly singing those lines now....
    ^Yeah, now it is embarrassing to watch the old geezers forgetting their lines..5555
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Just goes to show how much Thailand has changed in one generation. Parents in the developed world know to expect this, but looks like it's hit them too fast and sudden over there.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    phew!!....no pics....so far.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I just look at poems I wrote as a teenager (yes I kept them all.. 55) and I can see exactly what I was like... angst attack... 55

He doesn't have angst because he isn't writing poems as a teenager 555
    Quarky likes this.

I don't know
    One person in the convo sees teenagers in the mall and says she wish she could have done that in her teen years but she worked 12hrs a day and didn't have any money to spare.
    Her memories of a kid go back when she was much younger and stop when she had to go to work, she speaks about when she was 7-8yrs old wistfully but almost never talks about her teen years.

I had the luxury to be a teenager and do teen things, go to school, play sports, hang out with friends.
    The same as the teens in our family now in Thailand.

So one of us is not surprised when teens rather hang out with their friends than family or when one of them starts to act up a bit......the other has no personal experience to draw from.
    I also have 9 very close nephews, the last is now 17yrs old....... These are the 1st teenagers on the Thai side in a vastly different Thailand than what my wife grew up in.
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 4th January 2016 at 23:09.
    bacwaan likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    The world has changed drastically since I was a teenager in the late 60's early 70's...

Paulie mentions Malls...there were no such thing as malls in my teen years...no computers (or computer games)...no mobile telephones...no McDonald's etc...

But we had a ball...and a very busy and social one...beach, sports, books, radio and the stereo (which was actually mono) for music, playing musical instruments at home, with mates and at school concerts, TV in Black + White, playing in the middle of the street with all the neighbourhood kids...girls and pushbikes to ride 555

we certainly found a way to fill in our days

I remember we used to climb the trees at the bottom of our garden so we could spy on the TV in the rich house next door.. 55
    bacwaan, Dupree and Cuzzy like this.

By the way.........we had that long convo/debate on teen angst
    Hanging with my closest nephew...the one I consider a son.........and he has tons
    Quite a good convo

He is a weird situation though, he is the best player on hockey team, gets invited to all the parties, is popular but he is a very different kind of kid so doesn't fit in as easy with the average teenager

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    By the way.........we had that long convo/debate on teen angst
    Hanging with my closest nephew...the one I consider a son.........and he has tons
    Quite a good convo

He is a weird situation though, he is the best player on hockey team, gets invited to all the parties, is popular but he is a very different kind of kid so doesn't fit in as easy with the average teenager
    Tons of angst or tons of poems? Or both? Tell him university will be fun if he gets there.... smart girls love a rhyming jock... 55

Tons of angst or tons of poems? Or both? Tell him university will be fun if he gets there.... smart girls love a rhyming jock... 55
    He's not a weirdo and writes poems as a teenager 555

He's not a weirdo and writes poems as a teenager 555
    Tell him he's not alone... 55

Tell him he's not alone... 55
    exactly..........he's not alone because he isn't sitting home writing poems 555

exactly..........he's not alone because he isn't sitting home writing poems 555
    Ah... I thought he did write poems! You mean he is full of angst and has no outlet? ...555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast