Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thai's quirky sense of humor

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Thai's quirky sense of humor

To me......by far it is That's best attribute.
    Their somewhat quirky sense of humor.
    We all know they are playful and I always say, and it's so true...... My favorite thing about my wife is she has the most unadulterated laugh I've ever encountered. Her laugh is so genuine.

But I think it's how they take the piss out of each other.....even when something bad happens, that is the funniest thing about them.

Great example:
    My stepson bought roses for his GF for V-Day.
    Well, was he in for a surprise! He went over her house to give them to her and she dumped him! And returned all the presents he had given her from the past.

And my wife is telling me this story cracking up laughing! 555
    And I know for a fact her and her and my MIL were taking the piss out of him relentlessly.
    I think it is a Thai way of telling people, it ain't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

My family are notoriously ball busters. When we get together, and there is a lot of us.....the whole day is taking the piss and teasing each other.
    So a lot of similarities between the 2 families.

I agree that the piss-taking over issues we might find embarrassing is an endearing quality... on the other hand is it emotional suppression in some instances... ie... its great they can joke about weight, gayness, losing girlfriends etc... but then some serious issues can be glossed over as well.. double edged sword...
    Last edited by Quarky; 17th February 2016 at 17:06.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    after living here 7 years I have finally relented and started to watch the slap stick end of comedy on TV here in order to try and improve my Thai...It has helped somewhat but I absolutely draw the line at watching soapies...guys like MUM (and alter ego Supermum) ....Tucky...Teng and Nong...etc etc...and after a while of watching and getting into the rhythm I do get some genuinely funny most and find myself laughing along with them

Whilst they take the p!ss out of their guests and audiences gently the funniest stuff which gets the biggest laughs by far is when they take a rise out of themselves or their own comedy partner

I think in Thai (and definitely Buddhist) traditions it is not acceptable to see yourself as superior to the next person...so put downs to someone acting a little lofty are well accepted

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Isn't that quite similar to British humour? It's built on self deprecation.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KRIS-ONE View Post
    sure is....and the more I see it the more I see it as universal..however this is more your kind of Luarel and Hardy stuff here...its way less sophisticated than what humour in the west has become in recent times

I always here Brits say this.........as if they own that type of humor
    But it is the only humor I've ever really seen in any country I spent time in............making fun of yourself and taking the piss out of your friends/family

What other personal humor is there?
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 17th February 2016 at 23:58.

Well just for a Brit that example you gave would be kind of normal not quirky. I'm some what thinning up top and I get it relentlessly from my family.

But going back to what his ex gf did... That's some harsh ****!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Or maybe it's a Government conditioning of the poor masses to distract them from their poverty. Surprised you missed that DP...
    Changone likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Well just for a Brit that example you gave would be kind of normal not quirky. I'm some what thinning up top and I get it relentlessly from my family.
    Yeah that is literally the only humor I know of.......from all parts of US, Canada.....anywhere

I think what makes the Thai's version of it a bit quirky or unique(even though it is the same, as I said at the end of my OP) is that they get such a kick out of it
    I guess you say they add a bit of slapstick humor to it........as Nels alluded to

But going back to what his ex gf did... That's some harsh ****!
    yeah, it sure is!.........he actually does well with girls but I think he is a bit wimpy with them also

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I always here Brits say this.........as if they own that type of humor
    But it is the only humor I've ever really seen in any country I spent time in............making fun of yourself and taking the piss out of your friends/family

What other personal humor is there?
    any country but America maybe ...
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Thais seem to love over the top , slapstick , Mr Bean type stuff ....

Sums up the difference well...

Stillearly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Or maybe it's a Government conditioning of the poor masses to distract them from their poverty. Surprised you missed that DP...
    Never question anything... but themselves... 55

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Sums up the difference well...

You Brits constantly banging on about your sense of humor reminds me of Vanguy constantly reminding us how polite Canadians are 555

And he is explaining the difference in movies..............not the difference in life humor
    I get his explanation and think it is quite apt.............I prefer the British comedic way in movies vs the wise cracking ways in American movies

But a person's sense of humor.(which is what we were talking about)................all the humor I've known on a personal basis is self-deprecating and piss taking. We are not around our mates making wise cracks for a chuckle

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    You Brits constantly banging on about your sense of humor reminds me of Vanguy constantly reminding us how polite Canadians are 555

And he is explaining the difference in movies..............not the difference in life humor
    I get his explanation and think it is quite apt.............I prefer the British comedic way in movies vs the wise cracking ways in American movies

But a person's sense of humor.(which is what we were talking about)................all the humor I've known on a personal basis is self-deprecating and piss taking. We are not around our mates making wise cracks for a chuckle
    You're correct. I always found it silly how the Brits claim piss taking was solely British. Why they do that is a whole other thread. I got the piss taken out of me from Day 1 by my Dad, Uncles, friends, strangers, you guys. It never ends..55
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Kiwis don't really piss-take that much. The only people that piss-take less are Canadians. Can't comment on Americans as haven't really met enough of them... Kiwis only tend to take the piss out of people they know.. rather than complete strangers like they do in other countries...

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    You're correct. I always found it silly how the Brits claim piss taking was solely British. Why they do that is a whole other thread. I got the piss taken out of me from Day 1 by my Dad, Uncles, friends, strangers, you guys. It never ends..55
    All they have to do is read our texts to each other 555

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Kiwis don't really piss-take that much. The only people that piss-take less are Canadians. Can't comment on Americans as haven't really met enough of them... Kiwis only tend to take the piss out of people they know.. rather than complete strangers like they do in other countries...
    Sit at my desk at work.............we take the piss out of each other before the bell has even wrung and all day, everyday........and we are in Canada 555
    Again, that is all the humor we seem to have

But what do mean taking the piss out of strangers, how?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast