Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Blind faith

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    I think the concept of reincarnation lifts the Buddhist philosophy to the level of religion all in itself..?
    I understand why you would think that but I disagree, reincarnation isn't the best way to explain the teaching, a better term would be re-birth, but again westerners see this also in the wrong way.

The best way I can think to describe it in line with the teachings in life is circular, you are born, grow/live, die and decompose and the cycle starts again.

The theory of reincarnation which most people understand implies the transmigration of a soul and its invariable material rebirth but Buddhist don't believe you have an immortal soul, so reincarnation isn't the best way to describe it.

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    it's probably more an isaan thing but making allowances for "pee lawk" around the house use to drive me crazy. learnt to bite my tongue and let them carry on.
    don't know how many times it comes up but it's something that's always there and doesn't go away.
    That is Animism, it is a belief the that non-human entities, such as animals, plants, and inanimate objects possess a spiritual essence. There is no separation between the spiritual, physical or material world, and that souls or spirits exist not only in humans, but also in some other animals, plants, rocks, geographic features such as mountains or rivers, or other entities of the natural environment, including thunder, wind, and shadows.

I would say its more widely practiced and important in every day life then Buddhism in my area, and that most likely applies to most of Isan.

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Some people are genuinely interested in allowing their loved ones to have their own beliefs, without inwardly or outwardly dismissing or ridiculing them as fantasy.

I am an Atheist, but agree with this quote above, in fact I love learning about different beliefs and religions, I find it interesting how and why people believe what they do.

I have spoken to many people from the so called mainstream religions to those more on the fringes, I don't really see that much difference in those who believe in the christian god to those who believe in Alien masters, both are fundamentally based on the same thing, a belief in something controlling things.

I believe Religion is the opium of the people, but I am interested as in why that is.
    PeteGill and Hatari like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    I understand why you would think that but I disagree, reincarnation isn't the best way to explain the teaching, a better term would be re-birth, but again westerners see this also in the wrong way.

The best way I can think to describe it in line with the teachings in life is circular, you are born, grow/live, die and decompose and the cycle starts again.

The theory of reincarnation which most people understand implies the transmigration of a soul and its invariable material rebirth but Buddhist don't believe you have an immortal soul, so reincarnation isn't the best way to describe it.
    Hmm... I must have read a dozen books on the issue of reincarnation, rebirth, the 7 stages of dying, etc.
    H.H. The 14th Dalai Lama describes exercises of how to regain memories from previous lives...

Glad you put him right, what is he thinking... 555

Seven_
    Hmm... I must have read a dozen books on the issue of reincarnation, rebirth, the 7 stages of dying, etc.
    H.H. The 14th Dalai Lama describes exercises of how to regain memories from previous lives...

Glad you put him right, what is he thinking... 555
    Obviously lots of books on Mahayana Buddhism, not Theravada Buddhism which is practiced in Thailand.

Also your missing a stage of dying, as there are 8 in the death process in Mahayana Buddhism, so maybe book 13 will get to that for you 555

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    Obviously lots of books on Mahayana Buddhism, not Theravada Buddhism which is practiced in Thailand.

Also your missing a stage of dying, as there are 8 in the death process in Mahayana Buddhism, so maybe book 13 will get to that for you 555
    I would like to miss all stages..555 But as you know, 2 stages are so similar (6 and 7, not sure) that they are often being considered as one and the same...

Point of order... Do you realize that although you often seem to have interesting things to say, the style of your communication makes it irritating and hard to respond to?
    You turn dialogue into monologue, often with redefining, semantics and proving the post you respond to wrong...
    Pity, because it ends the exchange of views and idea's and often kills the thread your posting in...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Pity, because it ends the exchange of views and idea's and often kills the thread your posting in...
    That should read "you're" 555
    Last edited by Cippy; 17th May 2016 at 04:53.
    Quarky, RakThai and Hatari like this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    That should read "you're" 555
    Wanna try in Dutch, German, French, Kiswahili? 55

Wanna try in Dutch, German, French, Kiswahili? 55
    Let's do Spanish.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I would like to miss all stages..555 But as you know, 2 stages are so similar (6 and 7, not sure) that they are often being considered as one and the same...

Point of order... Do you realize that although you often seem to have interesting things to say, the style of your communication makes it irritating and hard to respond to?
    You turn dialogue into monologue, often with redefining, semantics and proving the post you respond to wrong...
    I agree wholeheartedly
    I think Seven is obviously an intelligent person and I think has a lot to add..........but he is so god damn smug and condescending, it is a shame

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly
    I think Seven is obviously an intelligent person and I think has a lot to add..........but he is so god damn smug and condescending, it is a shame
    Maybe he's in the 9th stage of dying...
    Minder likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Seven_

Some people apply tact to everything they say, I apply tact to everything I hear.

Well, no denial, no excuses.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    the inability to see or acknowledge that there might be another point and equally valid view!

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    the inability to see or acknowledge that there might be another point and equally valid view!
    quite an ironic stance in a thread about "Blind Faith"....555

Poses the question..."when a man lives his life without belief in god, does he become his own god"?....
    wabbits likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post

Poses the question..."when a man lives his life without belief in god, does he become his own god"?....
    ...only if he believes in himself...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    quite an ironic stance in a thread about "Blind Faith"....555

Is valid in the eye of the beholder? Is your truth my truth?
    I think I was trying to say In my clumsy way an open mind can understand that there are other views they can be acknowledged and they can be valid but they my not be what you perceive to be the truth for you.
    bacwaan likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Truth. Now there's a thing..."The one true God".
    Implies the existence of many false ones.
    The basis for most of the conflict?
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    My favorite...

Say that Buddhism is a way of life and there is no easy way to explain.
    Then goes on and basically explains to everyone why they are wrong about Buddhism 555

Thus explaining what Buddhism is (or what he thinks it is.....and obviously knows more than anyone else)

That was precious

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    ^Same as RT was saying in a roundabout way a few posts back.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast