Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Blind faith

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar

Blind faith

Buddhist, Christian , agnostic and so on

On the board there is a feeling I get that Buddhism is good and a way of life and acceptance and toleration.

I want to challenge that. A statue only a statue that has perceived value over ones life.

Lets call it a system of believing in social control.

My life will not change where I place a statue but for Mrs a statue rules life to where it is placed
    Last edited by jontymate; 14th May 2016 at 09:22.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Buddhist, Christian , agnostic and so on

On the board there is a feeling I get that Buddhism is good and a way of life and acceptance and toleration.

I want to challenge that. A statue only a statue that has perceived value over ones life.

My life will not change where I place a statue but for Mrs a statue rules life to where it is placed
    I've never met one Thai that is willing or can explain their Buddhist faith.
    It is kind of weird.....honestly

Not the faith......the unwillingness or the ability to explain it to someone who is curious about it
    jontymate likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Its possibly because that's all she has known all her life. Same with other religions when it is a big part of there life.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    The Buddhist philosophy is inherently good...however its the interpretations and twisting which has people bowing to statues and behaving in ways which would make Buddha turn in his grave...he never claimed to be a god...never wanted people to bow down to him...so its kinda perverse how the religion has turned all that round

as with most religions it has been used by man against man which is the real problem
    wabbits, Quarky, Minder and 5 others like this.

BTW..Thais seem to have rolled Buddhism and animism into one and come up with some weird amalgum of "voodoo love child"....555
    jontymate, Zablive and TLandHim like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    The Buddhist philosophy is inherently good.......
    Good post ....and so more broadly speaking ....

The (insert name of religion here) philosophy is inherently good....

.however its the interpretations and twisting which has people bowing to statues and behaving in ways which would make its founder(s) turn in his/their grave(s)...

( briefly outline original ideals here, thou shall not kill etc ) .....so its kinda perverse how the religion has turned all that round

as with most religions it has been used by man against man which is the real problem.
    Life is the unexpected ...

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Yes if you took its ideals or teachings and applied without ceremony and or twisting them then it's a way to live.
    But just like most things men touch it never turns out that way.

Conversely people without faith... In something are like a rudderless ship it is most likely needed and if so as a possible control system ingrained from an early age it a better one...We all got em though many have shrugged them off but never completely.5555.

I find this stuff interesting but I am still trying to work it out and have conflicting thought about it...
    Quarky likes this.

The Buddhist philosophy is inherently good...however its the interpretations and twisting which has people bowing to statues and behaving in ways which would make Buddha turn in his grave...he never claimed to be a god...never wanted people to bow down to him...so its kinda perverse how the religion has turned all that round

as with most religions it has been used by man against man which is the real problem
    Agree great post . I'm not religious but if asked I can recount my upbringing verse and chapter Leviticus 26:1 ""'Do not make idols or set up an image or a sacred stone for yourselves, and do not place a carved stone in your land to bow down before it. I am the LORD your God."" Autism and eidetic memory It must be read to me(understand to take in) and I read then committed for ever
    h
    Now show me your teachings after a month in a white dress as a Buddhist nun...... Just make you feel better .........HMMMM The earth still turns the sun comes up. 15 years in a marriage and blind faith will kill that. Call it a cultural upbringing not Buddhism
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    I find this stuff interesting but I am still trying to work it out and have conflicting thought about it...
    Conflicted? If I thank the Almighty God of my Catholic primary school upbringing for anything it is for getting my through several years as an Altar boy unmolested ....
    jontymate and obes like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I've never met one Thai that is willing or can explain their Buddhist faith.
    It is kind of weird.....honestly

Not the faith......the unwillingness or the ability to explain it to someone who is curious about it
    i dont think anyone can explain there faith to you...its a personal belief....and that is what it is a belief that means something to you...discussing it will always bring up arkward questions that can be hard to explain or answer

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Conflicted? If I thank the Almighty God of my Catholic primary school upbringing for anything it is for getting my through several years as an Altar boy unmolested ....
    cant have been pretty enough.555
    Quarky, PeteGill and kaptainrob like this.

How much BS Buddhism(cultural diversity ) do you put up with?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    I adopt the attitude that if it makes them happy - mai bpen rai.
    I don't quite get what is irking you JM?
    You seem to have a few "conflicts" lately.
    Changone and Hatari like this.

At least Buddhism doesn't have a belief in God. So it has that going for it...

If belief in God is the definition of religion, then Buddhism can't be a religion. Some have suggested that a new category – that of the 'non-theistic' religion – is needed to encompass Buddhism...

The Dalai Lama states:

"From one viewpoint, Buddhism is a religion, from another viewpoint Buddhism is a science of mind and not a religion. Buddhism can be a bridge between these two sides. Therefore, with this conviction I try to have closer ties with scientists, mainly in the fields of cosmology, psychology, neurobiology and physics. In these fields there are insights to share, and to a certain extent we can work together.
    Hatari likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    At least Buddhism doesn't have a belief in God. So it has that going for it...

If belief in God is the definition of religion, then Buddhism can't be a religion. Some have suggested that a new category – that of the 'non-theistic' religion – is needed to encompass Buddhism...
    Buddhism is a philosophy....its tenents are built around philosophical treatise...some have tried to turn it into a religion for its own ends (as i mentioned early on in this thread)...but that has really confused the purity of its intention
    Quarky and Dupree like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Buddhism is a philosophy....its tenents are built around philosophical treatise...some have tried to turn it into a religion for its own ends (as i mentioned early on in this thread)...but that has really confused the purity of its intention
    I think the concept of reincarnation lifts the Buddhist philosophy to the level of religion all in itself..?

It must be very hard for some of you in relationships where a religion is important to the other partner.
    Trying to show respect for something so inane and not wanting to belittle them in anyway.
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    I have very good friends in Bhutan... Comparing Bhutanese Bhuddism to Thai is like comparing Donald Trump to reality

Should be the other way around but you probably understand what I'm trying to illustrate
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

How much BS Buddhism(cultural diversity ) do you put up with?
    If your married all of it or its at your peril....
    Changone likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzy View Post
    I have very good friends in Bhutan... Comparing Bhutanese Bhuddism to Thai is like comparing Donald Trump to reality

Should be the other way around but you probably understand what I'm trying to illustrate
    Bhutan is the world's only "Officially" Buddhist country........apparently...
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast