Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Your 1st time in the village

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    thais/asians are wired completely different to what i and most other farangs are,IMO.

understand them....dunno. scratch your head at their logic,yes.
    riding around on MB's refusing to wear a helmet because it might mess up their hair and not even think it may save their own life.
    wai and smile you face to face then jump behind the wheel of a car and try and kill you
    if i do the right thing by buddha...buddha will take care me no matter what i do
    carry on like i'm sick because i got fed a little late or not what i wanted etc etc
    As you said.......Asians are just wired completely different to us.
    I just finished a great book called Seoul Man, a guy goes to work for Hyundai in Korea.
    A lot of it was how different corporate culture is than what we are used to.
    Obviously you do your best to adjust to their culture at work but man, it really did seem difficult.

Hell, I've been working in Canada for 11 years and even Canada vs US corporate culture can be quite different
    robpruit likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    thais/asians are wired completely different to what i and most other farangs are,IMO.

riding around on MB's refusing to wear a helmet because it might mess up their hair and not even think it may save their own life.
    wai and smile you face to face then jump behind the wheel of a car and try and kill you
    if i do the right thing by buddha...buddha will take care me no matter what i do
    carry on like i'm sick because i got fed a little late or not what i wanted etc etc
    I'm glad you said Asians and not just Thai.

And yes I agree
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I'm glad you said Asians and not just Thai.

And yes I agree
    yeah,i've actually lived amongst Vietnamese longer than i've lived amongst Thais.
    use to drive me crazy when i was boring around the local roads in the hotted up HD and one of them would just pull straight in front of me without even looking.

just tapped the back of some in a car one time after severe panic braking after they pulled straight out on my right at give way signs and came to a complete stop 20m later to pull into a sweat shop. not impressed!
    Ian Forbes and OZZYGUY like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

What about Asians born/ raised in the West? Still wired different?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    What about Asians born/ raised in the West? Still wired different?
    Nope. It all has to do with training... or lack of it. It is their absolute belief in what some monk told them. It is pretty much the same with devout Christians. They were told to go slay the infidels and off they went. Nobody questioned the Bush family when they were told to bomb the Middle East to rubble.

Seven_
    Serious question... actually two questions... 1) do you think it's possible to live outside Thailand, not be married or even in a relationship with a Thai... but still understand Thailand... and Thais?
    Anything is possible isn't it (or is that a western cultural trait we tell ourselves 555).

But obviously no matter how much you study or research a culture/country, unless you live there (at least for a good period of time) your perspective is going to be limited and you will make assumptions based on that limited scope of understanding.

Being in a long term relationship, would give you more insight as at least you spend a lot time with a Thai even though you don't live there but than again still limited.

Don't you think the more integrated into society the better you should understand it?

That being said, as I said before I know expats, who live in Thailand, married to a Thai, but have little clue about Thailand or Thai's and live in sort of western bubble inside Thailand.

It depends a lot on the person really and how curious they are. (linking to the other thread) and how integrated they become in the culture.

2) Question two... this Thai insular thing. I know Thais living in England who seem very aware of the world in general... and generally quite curious. But is that because they have lived years in the UK.. or were they likely to be already like this before they moved here?
    Like any culture there are insular people and curious people. You could find insular people in any country if you look. I don't personal find Thai's that insular, they just value different things. You could argue that we westerners are insular in our own way, because most of us don't try and understand or dismiss the things Thai's value.

Due to the fact you post on a forum about another country makes most people here the curious type as an insular person wouldn't even be reading this forum.

So I think in someways we compare ourselves as very curious people at heart to others who are more insular in a very biased way. To put it crudely, we are a group of black people saying look at the funny white person.
    Quarky likes this.

Seven_

When first meeting Thais/getting into a relationship/living in Thailand yes I would agree, but spend a bit of time getting to know them, research their culture and its not that hard to figure their logic or culture out.

Its not that complex, just different then what you know.

But then again most men struggle to figure out women so maybe a lost cause.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345