Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Your 1st time in the village

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Your 1st time in the village

Reading Pinecone's thread and Cippy talking about his 1st time in the village I thought this was a good idea for a thread.
    People share their 1st time in a village.........most would likely be with a gf.

I had been seeing Ao for about 2 years maybe...........I made about 4-5 trips in that time.
    When she asked me to go for a visit I jumped at the chance. I didn't ask how the accomodations were.............I was just going to stay in whatever house they had. And honestly...........I wasn't worried if it was on the floor in a wooden shack, I wanted to experience the local life in the village.

So we planned 3 days in the village.
    I asked Ao what type of gifts should I bring. I would bring some type of gift no matter if it was a Western family or a Thai family........Usually a bottle of wine, some dessert if it a dinner I am going to.
    Ao suggested Whiskey from the US, candy for the kids and we picked out a cheapish watch for her mom when I was in BKK.

We were staying at the Westin for a couple of days before heading to the village. Back then I wasn't that price conscious and things were so much cheaper. So to get there I just hired the hotel's car to bring us. It was a Mercedes!! Thinking back it was a bit ridiculous rocking up to the village in a Mercedes...........but I honestly just booked the car they had available.

Her village is in Domg Bang in Suphan Buri, only about 2 hours from BKK so not hard to get to. As we started to get into the village there are some shacks but honestly, most of the houses are nice but simple. And her province is one of the most prosperous in the country when it comes to vegetation. The driver actually commented on this when we got to her area. And the fact it is usually green all year round would would confirm that.

The house.....so I still didn't know where I would be sleeping, whether it was a shack or one of these simple houses, but then we pulled down a long driveway and pulled up to a huge modern house. That is where she lived with her aunt.

As for meeting everyone. Except for the language barrier, I honestly didn't feel it was any different than any other time I have visited a western girl's home and met their family.
    I was fortunate in that both her aunt's spoke English as well as most of her friends so that was easy for me.

Some notes on my stay:

-The 1st night we just got a bunch of beer and whiskey and all hung out in front of the house and just talked. Well about 3 hours in, with everyone sitting in a circle the cheap plastic chair just gave way and I was flat on my butt! To say it took maybe an hour for everyone to stop laughing is not an exaggeration 555

-I only had one instance where the whole family tagged along. We decided to take her son and niece to the zoo but when I woke up there were about 14 people ready to go.
    What's crazy is her dad through an absolute hissy fit he couldn't go because he had to work! He was always a bit unstable but that was my 1st time seeing it.

-There is a great Thai disco, Money Pub, in Singburi about 20mins from the village.
    We went there one night and we started a tradition of me drinking with someone and they ending up having to go and lay in the pickup because they were too drunk!! 555
    The 1st night was one girl's Swedish husband and my MIL! (she never drinks)

It really is a beautiful village......pictures below of house and village

I 'd love to hear other's experiences
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 16th August 2016 at 04:19.
    Gazmac, Nomad, OZZYGUY and 3 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    ^^ Well, they certainly were not poor in comparison to my wife's family.

I saw a lot of shacks on the way into town to ans asked if people actually lived in them.

"No! She laughed, "Those are farm houses." Just a place to rest and eat out of the sun while working in the fields.

I may tap out my story here, but it's already on my own long lost thread . . .
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    my first time in a village was 20+ years ago whilst on a jungle trek along the Mekong between Mae Sai and Mae Hong Song on the Burmese border

We used a combination of treking (walking) through the jungle, using rafts down the river, on the back of elephants and in the end a bush whacking trip in old jeeps...a superb 10 day trek

The first night we stayed overnight in a village along the banks of the Mekong in the middle of nowhere...they killed a couple of chickens and we all sat around a campfire and ate what I think was pad Krapow gai with rice and drank lao khao...a few of us joined in on a few "hits from the bong" which they added crushed paracetamol to (???)...we had sleeping bags but I just used mine as a mattress (it was pretty warm) and slept in my boxers...I awoke just before dawn to a strange tingling sensation on my chest and was startled to find an old Yai and a 3ish yo kid standing over me, laughing as they pulled the hairs on my chest 555...(I had red hair back then)

The first visit home with a TGF was to a very nice country estate just outside Chiang Mai...this was a large Lanna style house by the river, on several acres of beautiful landscaped grounds, with a large swimming pool...and the parents were (are) wonderful people just a little older than me....I was made very welcome so there was certainly no hardship there
    Gazmac, Rivo, Ian Forbes and 3 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I've done many of the family visits over the years, both in Thailand and the Philippines.

My first "family visit" was back in 1997 after meeting a Pattaya lady (Kung) from Sakhon Nakhon in 1996. We corresponded by old fashioned mail and telephone when I went back to Canada, and she invited me to visit her family when I came back the following season. Nobody owned cel phones in those days and surface mail took at least a week or more to get there.

I got to Bangkok's old Don Muang airport at just after midnight and had to stand in line at the domestic terminal all night waiting for the booth to open at 5AM. In those days there were touts who did "visa runs" with client's passports, and there were a bunch of these guys waiting in line ahead of me with handfuls of foreigner's passports. I just barely made my 6AM flight to Sakhon Nakon. When I arrived at the Sakhon Nakhon airport there was nobody there to greet me. I didn't even know where town was. There was just the one flight a day and after that they closed the airport. I went outside and flagged down a taxi to take me into the city. I had a Lonely Planet book that mentioned a cheap hotel, so I told the taxi driver who looked at me kind of funny, but nodded his head and took me there for about 200 baht. The receptionist didn't speak English but she gave me a room for 400 baht. I wrote a letter to Kung saying I would stay in the hotel for 5 days and then go back to Pattaya. Kung had got her dates of my arrival mixed up and she missed me at the airport when she went the next day. She got home to find my letter waiting for her, so she came back to town and found my room. After spending a week in her city and meeting her folks we took a trip to Hua Hin and down to Koh Samui by train and ferry. It was a VERY unique trip with lots of funny stories. 10 years later I met Kung again when she came running up to greet me in Pattaya. More great stories about that.

Kung with her niece and nephew in Sakhon Nakhon

With a monkey at Hua Hin

After Kung went back to Sakhon Nakhon and I started going to the Philippines we never saw each other again until I returned to Pattaya where Kung was working as a waitress in a restaurant. That was 10 years later and she had been married and widowed in that time. Her German husband was killed in a motorbike accident and didn't live to see his daughter being born. Kung and I renewed our friendship, but she had turned to some strange Christian church and it wasn't the same. She had a lovely daughter and I took them around Chiang Mai when they came for a visit.

It was about that time that I started to realize how many Thai women struggled trying to raise a family alone with very little financial support, and I decided to do something to help... even if it was just in a small way.

Each separate trip has had some unique event that is etched in my memory. I never knew what I was getting myself in for until I got there and just went along with the flow as I've always done in life. I've lived by the credo of never missing an opportunity to do anything within reason.

After doing the mongering bar scene for a few years I wanted to see what was out in the country, and what the REAL people were like. It has been a great ride ever since and I'll never stop doing it until my health shuts me down. I have too many stories that have all affected me in some way or another. I have certainly learned a lot about people in general, though. Everyone else has a great story to tell and we are all a product of our environment and the events in our lives.
    Last edited by Ian Forbes; 16th August 2016 at 07:19.
    PeteGill, Gazmac, Rivo and 5 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    As most will know my wife is Filipina not Thai. However I have lots of Thai friends in the mountain biking community in LOS and I been to the villages before with them or riding through them stopping to eat. Have done a few overnight rides staying in villages as well.

But my first trip to my wife's home was a bit different and not what I expected. I split with my then GF for 7 weeks and her family were not happy with me because I broke her heart. Family in Filipina culture is number one and I was way out of the circle. After I split with her I realised what a great girl I had let go and asked her back and also to marry me.

My GF was in Australia studying so I set off to the Philippines on my own to meet a family that didn't like me. I didn't know much about her family and Philippines is not a safe place to be not liked as Ian Forbes knows. I was sh1t scared plus going to a place I had never been before. (Been Manila a few times before)

So Friday morning my flight left Perth at 7,00am it took, 3 planes, 3 hours drive and 21 hours to arrive to my destination in Argao south of Cebu. I had the worse flight and was the scariest experience of my life. We circled Manila airport for over a hour to try land in a storm, luckily I was in a plane full of Catholics, people praying, screaming and vomiting as the plane was shaken around time after time, I truly thought I was going to die and so did everyone around me.

Next flight to Cebu was delayed but at 4am sat I finally arrived in Argao. A few hours’ sleep then off to my 10am appointment with a family that hated me and had no idea why I was coming. The first 10 minutes or so where very tense and mamma didn't want to talk or look at me. Mamma asked when I was going back to Australia. When I told her in the morning she realised I was serious and I had just come all that way to see her. It was at that time she came and gave me a hug and said welcome. After some taking about the reason I split with her daughter and that I wanted her blessing to marry her daughter, some great food she soon realised how much I loved her daughter and it was like we had known each other for years. I was made so welcome. She suggested I go have a snooze and come back at 6.00pm for dinner.

The word was out that that I was in town and that night family from all over came to meet me. Mamma is the oldest of 13 kids so you can imagine how many people came. About 50.

I not the only westerner in my wife's family I think that makes things easier. Her step father has been in the family almost 30 years and also her sister is engaged to a white girl too.

Sunday 6.00am its off to the airport to return home. It was a short trip, only stayed one day, I wish I stayed longer, felt so much at home but I returned a few times since to this beautiful old city in Cebu and my new family.

Last edited by OZZYGUY; 16th August 2016 at 09:54.
    wabbits, Rivo, Ian Forbes and 1 others like this.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Nearly eight years ago now by bus then mini bus me and my five words of Thai.
    Basic by any stretch compared to city life.
    Sleeping mat no mattress and no English.

The welcome was great her brother thought I was brave to be coming to a place where I could not communicate.
    Quite a few farang had been to MW's village but I was the first that stayed at night they said they would head off at night with girlfriend and stay in Surin.

Things have changed so much in the time I have been going there infact the pace is so fast it's a new village every time we go.

I like it it's my second home well it's our second household so we can travel lite now.
    But to hark back to what was only a short while ago I loved that strange newness.

A child on a camping trip finding a new wonder around every corner.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Also about eight years ago, and we have both lived in Aus since then.
    The Baan was fairly rudimentary back then, being the standard upstairs/downstairs wooden structure, so Aunty booked us into a guesthouse a short distance away.
    This was the smart thing to do, and nobody was really bothered about it.
    Waiing the parents for the first time was a surreal thing (for me) but they eventually got over it...555
    Sat on the floor with everyone and did the string thing, I had no idea just how important this was to everyone in the village at the time.
    Nowadays the Baan has better visitor accommodation than almost anything you can rent for more than 50k's around, and Bro & Sis in law always stay there now (Next gen...555).

wabbits likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    [COLOR="blue"]
    Waiing the parents for the first time was a surreal thing (for me) but they eventually got over it...555
    Sat on the floor with everyone and did the string thing, I had no idea just how important this was to everyone in the village at the time.
    Ah yes, the waiing and the "string thing". I remember Kung taking me to a temple for some ceremony with the monks. We bought those candles, the plant that looks like an onion and did three circles around the temple. Then, we knelt in front of the monk. He sprinkled holy water over Kung and I, and then she said something to him and he sprinkled a WHOLE LOT MORE HOLY WATER on me. I had a quiet chuckle about that. I probably needed it. Then we did the string thing around our wrists. I had that string around my wrist for over almost two years and was amazed it didn't deteriorate in that time.
    PeteGill, OZZYGUY and pinecone like this.

Thought I posted this subject a few years back. I almost made it to the Thai village but split with the TGF a few weeks before. My first trip to the village

Just read some old TR's looking for that.

I found the TR when I introduced my buddy Chris to LOS. Dupree, M26 and Ian F that was Chris who just came to Canada and USA with me.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    whole area was flooding first time i turned up. luckily our moo ban is one of the only places in the area that stays high and dry and managed to get through a couple of small water crossings unscathed.

the village recently got high speed and reliable internet to it. CAT @ 950 baht/month unlimited.
    so things are moving with the times.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Thought I posted this subject a few years back. I almost made it to the Thai village but split with the TGF a few weeks before. My first trip to the village

Just read some old TR's looking for that.

I found the TR when I introduced my buddy Chris to LOS. Dupree, M26 and Ian F that was Chris who just came to Canada and USA with me.
    Thanks for posting that, Ash. It was a good read and took me over an hour to go through all the replies. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I like reading travel stories by others. After my post about the tying of strings around the wrist I had to laugh at some of the earlier replies. These old trip reports are as interesting as they are varied.

I did the sleeping thing once on a floor at the home with only a blanket for comfort and a few pillows for my head. And the proverbial mosquito net over top.

Toilet and bathing facilities were pretty basic as well.

After that I rode the 10 km to the nearest town with a hotel.

The family pretty much shared what ever they had, so I didn't mind adding to the finances a bit.

That is when I decided to start a family business for them selling ice and water.

The father sat in the back and drank whiskey most of the day, or repaired old bicycles.

The two older sisters took over the business I set up for them and did quite well. We are still friends today.

Even little Fong chipped in with filling mixed gas in the old style motor scooters.

They delivered water and ice around the village in the old motorbike and side car I bought for the family.

PeteGill, OZZYGUY and pinecone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I've done many of the family visits over the years, both in Thailand and the Philippines.

My first "family visit" was back in 1997 after meeting a Pattaya lady (Kung) from Sakhon Nakhon in 1996. We corresponded by old fashioned mail and telephone when I went back to Canada, and she invited me to visit her family when I came back the following season. Nobody owned cel phones in those days and surface mail took at least a week or more to get there.

I got to Bangkok's old Don Muang airport at just after midnight and had to stand in line at the domestic terminal all night waiting for the booth to open at 5AM. In those days there were touts who did "visa runs" with client's passports, and there were a bunch of these guys waiting in line ahead of me with handfuls of foreigner's passports. I just barely made my 6AM flight to Sakhon Nakon. When I arrived at the Sakhon Nakhon airport there was nobody there to greet me. I didn't even know where town was. There was just the one flight a day and after that they closed the airport. I went outside and flagged down a taxi to take me into the city. I had a Lonely Planet book that mentioned a cheap hotel, so I told the taxi driver who looked at me kind of funny, but nodded his head and took me there for about 200 baht. The receptionist didn't speak English but she gave me a room for 400 baht. I wrote a letter to Kung saying I would stay in the hotel for 5 days and then go back to Pattaya. Kung had got her dates of my arrival mixed up and she missed me at the airport when she went the next day. She got home to find my letter waiting for her, so she came back to town and found my room. After spending a week in her city and meeting her folks we took a trip to Hua Hin and down to Koh Samui by train and ferry. It was a VERY unique trip with lots of funny stories. 10 years later I met Kung again when she came running up to greet me in Pattaya. More great stories about that.

Kung with her niece and nephew in Sakhon Nakhon

With a monkey at Hua Hin

After Kung went back to Sakhon Nakhon and I started going to the Philippines we never saw each other again until I returned to Pattaya where Kung was working as a waitress in a restaurant. That was 10 years later and she had been married and widowed in that time. Her German husband was killed in a motorbike accident and didn't live to see his daughter being born. Kung and I renewed our friendship, but she had turned to some strange Christian church and it wasn't the same. She had a lovely daughter and I took them around Chiang Mai when they came for a visit.

It was about that time that I started to realize how many Thai women struggled trying to raise a family alone with very little financial support, and I decided to do something to help... even if it was just in a small way.

Each separate trip has had some unique event that is etched in my memory. I never knew what I was getting myself in for until I got there and just went along with the flow as I've always done in life. I've lived by the credo of never missing an opportunity to do anything within reason.

After doing the mongering bar scene for a few years I wanted to see what was out in the country, and what the REAL people were like. It has been a great ride ever since and I'll never stop doing it until my health shuts me down. I have too many stories that have all affected me in some way or another. I have certainly learned a lot about people in general, though. Everyone else has a great story to tell and we are all a product of our environment and the events in our lives.
    Ian......that was the BEST posts you have ever made on this forum and one off the best posts I have seen you make.

Wow.....a post like that is exactly why I started the thread
    pinecone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    As most will know my wife is Filipina not Thai. However I have lots of Thai friends in the mountain biking community in LOS and I been to the villages before with them or riding through them stopping to eat. Have done a few overnight rides staying in villages as well.

But my first trip to my wife's home was a bit different and not what I expected. I split with my then GF for 7 weeks and her family were not happy with me because I broke her heart. Family in Filipina culture is number one and I was way out of the circle. After I split with her I realised what a great girl I had let go and asked her back and also to marry me.

My GF was in Australia studying so I set off to the Philippines on my own to meet a family that didn't like me. I didn't know much about her family and Philippines is not a safe place to be not liked as Ian Forbes knows. I was sh1t scared plus going to a place I had never been before. (Been Manila a few times before)

So Friday morning my flight left Perth at 7,00am it took, 3 planes, 3 hours drive and 21 hours to arrive to my destination in Argao south of Cebu. I had the worse flight and was the scariest experience of my life. We circled Manila airport for over a hour to try land in a storm, luckily I was in a plane full of Catholics, people praying, screaming and vomiting as the plane was shaken around time after time, I truly thought I was going to die and so did everyone around me.

Next flight to Cebu was delayed but at 4am sat I finally arrived in Argao. A few hours’ sleep then off to my 10am appointment with a family that hated me and had no idea why I was coming. The first 10 minutes or so where very tense and mamma didn't want to talk or look at me. Mamma asked when I was going back to Australia. When I told her in the morning she realised I was serious and I had just come all that way to see her. It was at that time she came and gave me a hug and said welcome. After some taking about the reason I split with her daughter and that I wanted her blessing to marry her daughter, some great food she soon realised how much I loved her daughter and it was like we had known each other for years. I was made so welcome. She suggested I go have a snooze and come back at 6.00pm for dinner.

The word was out that that I was in town and that night family from all over came to meet me. Mamma is the oldest of 13 kids so you can imagine how many people came. About 50.

I not the only westerner in my wife's family I think that makes things easier. Her step father has been in the family almost 30 years and also her sister is engaged to a white girl too.

Sunday 6.00am its off to the airport to return home. It was a short trip, only stayed one day, I wish I stayed longer, felt so much at home but I returned a few times since to this beautiful old city in Cebu and my new family.

Actually you know that had nothing to with her Filipina family, right?

It was her Boston step dad that wanted to kill you
    I heard those guys can be a bit temperamental 555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

Also about eight years ago, and we have both lived in Aus since then.
    The Baan was fairly rudimentary back then, being the standard upstairs/downstairs wooden structure, so Aunty booked us into a guesthouse a short distance away.
    This was the smart thing to do, and nobody was really bothered about it.
    Nowadays the Baan has better visitor accommodation than almost anything you can rent for more than 50k's around, and Bro & Sis in law always stay there now (Next gen...555).

Our last trip I found a place to stay 15minutes from her aunt's place.....only because it was Songkran and there simply was no room.

It eas my favorite place I have ever stayed in Thailand
    On a little lake with bungalows run by a family, mom, dad, daughter and son
    All educated in the US
    Just a delightful family.....I chat with them at breakfast and we'd see the Dad out ever morning shopping at the market for the day's feed.
    Doem Bang Villa Supanburi, Ban Chawak, Thailand - Booking.com
    Changone likes this.

Platinum
    My first (and only) time was in 2010. I took a girl from Playschool (Playskool?) in Patong to Angkor Wat and then we travelled back to her village near Surin. Nice girl but really only someone to see during the holidays.

I do remember a "rural soapy" when she took me for a shower and (intimate!) wash in the outhouse bathroom. That was fun.

I think the only picture I had of her was on old P-I....
    pinecone likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cashpoint View Post
    My first (and only) time was in 2010. I took a girl from Playschool (Playskool?) in Patong to Angkor Wat and then we travelled back to her village near Surin. Nice girl but really only someone to see during the holidays.

I do remember a "rural soapy" when she took me for a shower and (intimate!) wash in the outhouse bathroom. That was fun.

I think the only picture I had of her was on old P-I....
    I remember her.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Actually you know that had nothing to with her Filipina family, right?

It was her Boston step dad that wanted to kill you
    I heard those guys can be a bit temperamental 555
    Yes he is very protective and a bit stand offish that morning.

It was long before I had him twisted around my finger and drinking his beer.

He even brought it up in his speech at our wedding about me drinking all his beer. 555
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 16th August 2016 at 18:16.
    pinecone likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cashpoint View Post
    My first (and only) time was in 2010. I took a girl from Playschool (Playskool?) in Patong.....
    Does anyone remember the Aussie owner of that joint going back about 10 years now (he was there at the time of the Tsunami)..he was a gruff bugger and a moderator on PI for a few years....

He owned a couple of pretty large dogs...German Shepherds iirc

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    ^^^
    Was he the guy frequently getting into strife with his dogs on the beach?
    Can't help you further - I didn't mix with the PI-Info mods 555!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Does anyone remember the Aussie owner of that joint going back about 10 years now (he was there at the time of the Tsunami)..he was a gruff bugger and a moderator on PI for a few years....

He owned a couple of pretty large dogs...German Shepherds iirc
    He had 2 Goldens actually

And he had a personality like a bar of soap!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast