The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Thai weddings

Cadet Gold

Thai weddings

Hi all i thought i would start this thread to see what others have done in regards to there wedings ect when marrying a thai girl and also to perhaps get some ideas as to what is or will happen from, others experiences .
    Ok so heres the deal my future wife and i have known each other for around 6 years ,we talk everyday over facebook or messenger and i was there in 2015 .Now this october we will be getting married in bangkok .
    We will be getting married at a venue near her room as they have function rooms there and this is what she has chosen and after having a night party to be advised (christ now im talking like a thai) .Now i have been told that the day will start with a trip to the monks temple to get blessed and give them some tucker and a payment (everything costs ) ,now from there we return to her room i suppose and get ready for the ceremony she gets makup ect i wait ?
    This is the one were you have the string between the heads and water pour over your hands and the string tied around your wrists ,anyway who else here has done this ? and can you give any advice on what to expect .
    Oh and joy of joys the day after i get there we have photos done not a couple of hours but all day so i am informed and from what i have been told this doesnt even make the marriage legal thats done as gasmac says in an ampur office .
    This is her first marriage but im a seasoned veteran so she wants it to be nice and i think also to keep face with her girlfriends and family members as her parents are both gone and i cant blame her for that ,so with that what have others done when getting married ?

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Congratulations Khun Crispy...I hope it all goes well

so it will be 2 years from the time you last saw her when you marry??....if so you are a braver man than me...555

and yes you are right....the only way to make your marriage "legal" is to register it at the local amphor where she is registered on a Tabien Baan
    Last edited by bacwaan; 25th March 2017 at 00:48.
    crispy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Congrats! I haven't had a Thai wedding yet. only a Farang on, but I have been to many in the village. There they usually do a photo shoot first, long before the wedding. Then the night before, for the poorer weddings, the ladies cook and drink, the groom and family and friends drink all night, then the groom walks to the brides house. Then the ceremony and then the food. People with more money had it catered. I had to stop going because I was always treated like a guest of honor even if I have never met them before. I think people gained a little face having a farang there. 555

Custom in our area has a part where they lay out the sin sot in cash and everyone ohs and ahs it. (The wife's cousin got 300,000!(from a Thai Guy))

They also read out the donations amounts and who gave it, that was always strange to me.
    crispy likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Will she be moving to your country or you to Thailand? Or will it remain an online marriage?
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    All red flags are waving!

You met the parents and family? Seen the family home?

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Hi Crispy , If you are referring to legal side of things , then there are a few steps you need to go through before you get to the local Amphur office to register your marriage !

You mention that you have been married before .
    Therefore you will require your divorce papers etc for a start. These will need to be presented at the Australian Embassy(is see your from Adelaide) and a stat dec filled out on the spot for certification by the embassy. This is to certify that you are single and able to marry.
    Certified copies of these will be given to you , and they will be need to be translated into Thai and also certified ! Where you get them translated will also be able to send to the Thai foreign affairs people for the certification for you ( at a fee of course )
    Once all these papers are translated and correct certifications are done and you have them back , then you are ok to proceed to the Amphur Office to register the Marriage !
    One small tip for you at the Amphur Office ! When registering the Marriage , also ask for a copy of the marriage certificate in English ! You will need for any visa's at a later date !
    If you don;t ask for it , you will only get a Thai version , and need to go back and get an English one if needed .

A more detailed version is in the thread Getting Married in Thailand stickied in this section .
    crispy likes this.
    !qq!

Cadet Gold
    very hard to meet the family when there dead ,what red flags would they be ?

Cadet Gold
    thanks gazmac i have seen this and will be using the advice in it

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Congratulations Khun Crispy...I hope it all goes well

so it will be 2 years from the time you last saw her when you marry??....if so you are a braver man than me...555

and yes you are right....the only way to make your marriage "legal" is to register it at the local amphor where she is registered on a Tabien Baan
    You don't need to be registered on the "house book" in yhe area that the Amphur is located.
    We were taken to an Amphur in Bangkok that wasn't anywhere near where Ao was registered......and actually I think at the time she was regsitered in Suphan Buri and we got married at Amphur in Bangkok
    crispy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    Hi Crispy , If you are referring to legal side of things , then there are a few steps you need to go through before you get to the local Amphur office to register your marriage !

You mention that you have been married before .
    Therefore you will require your divorce papers etc for a start. These will need to be presented at the Australian Embassy(is see your from Adelaide) and a stat dec filled out on the spot for certification by the embassy. This is to certify that you are single and able to marry.
    Certified copies of these will be given to you , and they will be need to be translated into Thai and also certified ! Where you get them translated will also be able to send to the Thai foreign affairs people for the certification for you ( at a fee of course )
    Once all these papers are translated and correct certifications are done and you have them back , then you are ok to proceed to the Amphur Office to register the Marriage !
    One small tip for you at the Amphur Office ! When registering the Marriage , also ask for a copy of the marriage certificate in English ! You will need for any visa's at a later date !
    If you don;t ask for it , you will only get a Thai version , and need to go back and get an English one if needed .

A more detailed version is in the thread Getting Married in Thailand stickied in this section .
    Following up on Gaz's informative post.....

We paid an agency around 5k(i think) to handle all the paperwork, the Foreign Affairs office and they were able to get us fast tracked at the Amphur
    It was well worth their fee.
    I don't remember what agency we used but I am sure many could do it so I'd google if interested
    crispy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    very hard to meet the family when there dead ,what red flags would they be ?
    I think people are commenting on the fact you are getting married when not physically seeing someone for 2 years.

Fxuk it......whatever works
    crispy likes this.

You don't need to be registered on the "house book" in yhe area that the Amphur is located.
    We were taken to an Amphur in Bangkok that wasn't anywhere near where Ao was registered......and actually I think at the time she was regsitered in Suphan Buri and we got married at Amphur in Bangkok
    Totally Correct Marc ! Registered the marriage in Phuket Amphur Office and Wifes home is Phetchabun !
    !qq!

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    Totally Correct Marc ! Registered the marriage in Phuket Amphur Office and Wifes home is Phetchabun !
    Yep, I was registered in BKK, long way from the wife's native Loei.
    crispy likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I think people are commenting on the fact you are getting married when not physically seeing someone for 2 years.

Fxuk it......whatever works
    For sure whatever works .... but the worst part is people making wild assumptions when they know nothing at all what Crispy is up too .. all based on i was there in 2015 ?? geez it shits me !! ..555

And the automatic and mostly negative thought pattern of people completely skipped the fact that he said he has known her for six years, but all they focused on was the online part ( like thats some bad way to learn about someone) and the 2015 part ... ridiculous, for all we know Crispy might have being there every year leading up to 2015, but hasn't being able to get back for work reasons ... this is common as in long distance relationships .... it fact one that can survive 6 years is looking pretty good in my book, its not like he meet her 2 months ago and doesn't know her.

The guy has opened a thread about Thai Marriages, congrats are in order, and the knowledge from other people who have done it should flow through ..... thats all

Congrats Crispy, i hope your day is awesome ... have to agree but ,, the photo part would drive me insane ..5555 .. all day really ? how many photos can you take in a day
    jontymate, crispy, OZZYGUY and 2 others like this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    For sure whatever works .... but the worst part is people making wild assumptions when they know nothing at all what Crispy is up too .. all based on i was there in 2015 ?? geez it shits me !! ..555

And the automatic and mostly negative thought pattern of people completely skipped the fact that he said he has known her for six years, but all they focused on was the online part ( like thats some bad way to learn about someone) and the 2015 part ... ridiculous, for all we know Crispy might have being there every year leading up to 2015, but hasn't being able to get back for work reasons ... this is common as in long distance relationships .... it fact one that can survive 6 years is looking pretty good in my book, its not like he meet her 2 months ago and doesn't know her.

The guy has opened a thread about Thai Marriages, congrats are in order, and the knowledge from other people who have done it should flow through ..... thats all

Congrats Crispy, i hope your day is awesome ... have to agree but ,, the photo part would drive me insane ..5555 .. all day really ? how many photos can you take in a day
    Well I can say from experience I didnt see my wife for about 2 years also
    And even after knowing her for about the same length as Crispy it was a bit awkward at 1st seeing her again.

So I do think it would have been strange to get married at that point. Very strange for me.....IMHO

I think we both felt awkward and it took a good week to get back into thr groove......and I still wouldn't have gotten married after that week 555

But seriously.....Fcuk it, whatever works

I met a Crispy from Oz once in Ice bar in Loei. That wasn't you was it??

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Well I can say from experience I didnt see my wife for about 2 years also
    And even after knowing her for about the same length as Crispy it was a bit awkward at 1st seeing her again.

So I do think it would have been strange to get married at that point. Very strange for me.....IMHO

I think we both felt awkward and it took a good week to get back into thr groove......and I still wouldn't have gotten married after that week 555

But seriously.....Fcuk it, whatever works
    What you wouldn't have married her straight away because of the awkwardness ? .. or you wouldn't have married her because you still weren't sure you wanted to marry her ...555 equating this (yours) to Crispy is not an equation IMO so its not really a whatever works ... Cripsy might hop off that plane (cue the violins) and they both run together arms stretched out and as they embrace he picks her up and swinging here around as their hug each so tightly ... blah blah blah the rest is history ..

and then there's you awkwardly hoping of the plane with AO standing there shly not knowing what to do ...5555

No two situations are the same, and trying to compare at a distance is foolish and futile IMO

Sorry Crispy to make fun of your thread ...
    crispy likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Congrates on the wedding Crispy hope your day goes well. Will you stay in LOS once married?

Sorry cannot help on the Thai wedding stuff wifes not Thai.
    crispy likes this.

Cadet Gold
    Thanks guys maybe i should have explained myself a bit better in my op .Sorry about that ok well ill try thanks for the support sydney appreciate it .I havent physically seen her (as to touch her hand) since 2015 but we talk each and every night for around 2 hours face to face over the net and yes i haven't been back as i have had to save for the wedding rings and flights accomodation for honeymoon ,flights two and from said place of honeymoon its not cheap even with her helping to pay for things such as reception and the baht gold ect .I have emailed the embassy in regards to my previous marriage and that is all i need to show them is the nisi decree absolute (divorce papers) .
    Now as i said before her parents are both dead the closest relative is an uncle and he is in hospital her aunt died about 5 weeks ago now and apart from that is one sister and a younger brother who lives in her old family home in some village somewhere outside bangkok ,her herself has lived with said aunty until she was 21 when she moved out and started with the company she is with still to this day and has worked her way up to supervisory level .
    I will be following gazmacs lead here on what to do and ill be looking for the translation place across from the embassy after i pick myself up of the floor afetr they have told me the final cost (bloody governement) as for the ampur office we hope to do that the following day after the ceremony ,monks and family,friends ect seeing as i will not have any family there she has asked on of her close friends and husband to act as a substitute family for the wedding and they have accepted which i thought was pretty nice of them and before anyone says how much it will cost me this guy owns 52 rai of land fish farms numerous houses in bangkok and is a millionaire from chinese heritage something to do with rice i believe i have stayed at his palace which is what it almost is and he is a really nice guy.
    Anyway i hope this has made it a bit clearer and my apologies if i confused anyone thanks for all the advice i will read and use what i can .
    Sydney likes this.

Have an awesome time on the big day Crispy and the paperwork side actually very straight forward , not scary to tackle. Govt costs for visa's on the other hand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    crispy likes this.
    !qq!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast