The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: It's a long way from Chiang Mai to Perth

Cadet silver
    Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    I was not having a go at you OME. I just wanted others out there to know that mothers sacrificing for their kids is not confined to Thailand. It happens throughout the world, at least until families become more able to be economically independant. It is usually the older siblings that remember the hard times that their parents endured.
    I didn't feel that you were having a go at me, far from it. After I had made the post I realised it hadn't come across as I had intended.
    PeteGill likes this.

Cadet silver
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Oh and OME
    You sort of spoiled your ending by telling us about your present life now 555

My thread title gives it away a bit also.

Cadet silver

Mr Many Rules

Before I get onto the first visit To Australia I want to relate a couple of events that happened. It was my second trip to Chiang Mai. Anne and the kids met me at the Airport and we went to the local market, bought breakfast and took it home to eat. Anne didnt have a table and chairs, but she did have an old office desk with a couple of plastic chairs and on old sofa that had no cushioning. The first time I sat o it I nearly broke my arse!

While we were eating i noticed a large sheet of paper taped to the door of Anne's bedroom with thai writing on it. I asked what it was. Anne said. The kids call you Mr Many Rules. I told her I have many rules because you have none! Having been a Policeman in NSW for 12 years with 4 of them in Major Crash Investigation, I had seen more than enough death and destruction on the roads. Anne had not set boundaries for the kids, no set bed times, not wearing seatbelts or helmets and not being respectful to her and not helping her around the home.

The change in the kids between my first and second visits was remarkable. Anne's brother was also on my side.

Being my first Christmas with Anne i had brought presents for them as well as her manager, who is a lovel lady, married to a lazy arsehole.

As you probably know, Christmas Day is just another day in Thailand but I was looking for somewhere nice to go for lunch. We ended up at Le Meridien for their buffet lunch which was really very good but expensive at around $90 AUD Each.

A few days later we were heading into CM City to go to Tiger Kingdom Restaurant for dinner. Anne was driving. She is quite a good driver (for an asian) and is quite confident. I asked what the speed limit was and she said she didn't know. (Bullshit I thought) a few seconds later the traffic lights ahead change to amber (plenty of room to stop) then red and we are about 60 metres from the lights. Does she stop...no she accelerates with her hand on the horn and goes through the intersection. I was not impressed!!! I got her to pull over and took her to the rear of the car and gave her both barrels, finishing off with "if you want to kill yourself go ahead but don't take me and the kids with you" it was two days before she would speak to me but I got my message across, she now drives better than me.

New Years Eve we had a quiet dinner at Sankum Terrace in Hang Dong before having an early night.

Usually when I go at Christmas i just get a break from the 22-24 Dec through to about 2-4 jan depending on where the Public Holidays fall.

NEXT THE TOURIST VISA
    Quarky, crispy, Ian Forbes and 2 others like this.

Cadet silver
    THE TOURIST VISA.

Anne was excited to have been invited to Australia and even moreso that the kids were coming to. I refer to the kids as " our kids". I don't personally like the term step son/daughter. I had no idea what was involved in getting the visa's. I had only been acustomed to getting my visa stamped at the airport when entering Thailand. I went to the Department of Immigration website and it looked straightforward. Anne had spoken to some of her "friends" who had told her she would not get visas for the kids but they knew someone who could help her and it would only cost 8000 baht .....each plus the cost of the visas!

Needless to say i thought we could do it ourselves. Vfs in Bkk were very helpful and promptly replied to my questions. They even advised us that Anne could "certify" her own documents. (Plese note you cant do this with Partner or Prospective Marriage visa) she got a POR KOR 14 from the local Amphur which basically stated the her former husband provided no financial support or had not seen the kids for many years. This was witnessed by two friends who attested that this was true and the form was issued and translated into English and was acceptable to Australian Immigration.

Applications were lodged and Anne was not confident that the visa's would be approved because of what her friends has told her. 13 days later she rang me and after she calmed down I finally worked out that the three visas had been approved.

There are no direct flights from Chiang Mai to Perth, so you have to transit via Bkk, Singapore or Kuala Lumpur. I had enough ff points to bring them down via Singapore with Singapore Air and they arrived in Perth just before Easter 2013
    Nomad, crispy, Ian Forbes and 2 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I just did a TV for the wifes 2 kids she accullay just took them back.

We got out of the POR KOR 14 from it would have been a drama. The way we did it was making her mumma the legal gardian of the kids. We were stressing a bit to see if it would work but it did.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Cadet Gold
    Hi OME another couple of great stories ,i would imagine at being an ex traffic cop you would have had to knock on doors and deliver bad news to some people ,i was driving /passenger in a friends car in chonchensou and we picked her son up from school in bangkok he sat in the front playing on the seat with his cars no seatbelt nothing ,then to my horror he decided to sit on the centre consul so he could see out the window the whole time im thinking if we hit something he is dead .
    It is not my place to tell them how to run there family as i was told by her husband not that i said anything to her at the time but i just wonder what devastation it would cause them as he is an only child but thats there life and with the road toll in thailand as it is one would think they would be more carefull .Only a few weeks ago i watched a video of a car that pulled out in front of a semi in issan i think ,a whole family gone in one hit i could not believe the amount of people at the crash scene and how many were videoing it i cant understand the thai thinking anyway a good read i hope to bring the girl to aus next year for a holiday she says that she wants to come when it is cold i laugh and say you havent felt cold like this before she says no i like yea right .

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I just did a TV for the wifes 2 kids she accullay just took them back.

We got out of the POR KOR 14 from it would have been a drama. The way we did it was making her mumma the legal gardian of the kids. We were stressing a bit to see if it would work but it did.
    And from all the photos it is obvious the children really enjoyed themselves. How can you NOT enjoy watching children have a great time?
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Cadet silver
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Hi OME another couple of great stories ,i would imagine at being an ex traffic cop you would have had to knock on doors and deliver bad news to some people ,i was driving /passenger in a friends car in chonchensou and we picked her son up from school in bangkok he sat in the front playing on the seat with his cars no seatbelt nothing ,then to my horror he decided to sit on the centre consul so he could see out the window the whole time im thinking if we hit something he is dead .
    It is not my place to tell them how to run there family as i was told by her husband not that i said anything to her at the time but i just wonder what devastation it would cause them as he is an only child but thats there life and with the road toll in thailand as it is one would think they would be more carefull .Only a few weeks ago i watched a video of a car that pulled out in front of a semi in issan i think ,a whole family gone in one hit i could not believe the amount of people at the crash scene and how many were videoing it i cant understand the thai thinking anyway a good read i hope to bring the girl to aus next year for a holiday she says that she wants to come when it is cold i laugh and say you havent felt cold like this before she says no i like yea right .
    Thats's right Crispy. In my final 4 years I went to over 300 fatal and serious crashes. My worst day I went to 3 fatals in the one day. We only took on one of them as in the other two the offending drivers were also dead. We were only interested in those where we had a live offender to investigate. There are 5 crashes that are always just below the surface, one where a copper and his wife were killed, leaving their kids orphans. One where a kid, the same age as my son, was riding a bicycle with no lights on the freeway and hit by a doctor who did everything to save him.

We were at Campbelltown hospital that night trying to identify the kid when the nurse handed me the phone and said, "i think its his father" the father was ringing all the hospitals to try and fined his son. I only identified myself as Constable Ridley. Told him I would be finished at the hospital in 10 minutes and would come to see him, he lived two streets away from me. When we went to the house i could see family pictures and could see his son in them. One of my hardest i ever had to do. Turned out his wife was in hospital and he couldn't get to football training to pick him up. I'm a bit teary now just think8ng about it and that was bacck in 1985.

Consequently as a result of my time in the Accident Investigation Squad, later appropriately renamed to Crash Investigation Squad, i have no time for idiots and drunks on our Roads and I despair at the tragic, preventable massacre on the Thai roads.
    Quarky, PeteGill, crispy and 4 others like this.

Cadet silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanemu View Post
    Thats's right Crispy. In my final 4 years I went to over 300 fatal and serious crashes. My worst day I went to 3 fatals in the one day. We only took on one of them as in the other two the offending drivers were also dead. We were only interested in those where we had a live offender to investigate. There are 5 crashes that are always just below the surface, one where a copper and his wife were killed, leaving their kids orphans. One where a kid, the same age as my son, was riding a bicycle with no lights on the freeway and hit by a doctor who did everything to save him.

We were at Campbelltown hospital that night trying to identify the kid when the nurse handed me the phone and said, "i think its his father" the father was ringing all the hospitals to try and fined his son. I only identified myself as Constable Ridley. Told him I would be finished at the hospital in 10 minutes and would come to see him, he lived two streets away from me. When we went to the house i could see family pictures and could see his son in them. One of my hardest i ever had to do. Turned out his wife was in hospital and he couldn't get to football training to pick him up. I'm a bit teary now just think8ng about it and that was bacck in 1985.

Consequently as a result of my time in the Accident Investigation Squad, later appropriately renamed to Crash Investigation Squad, i have no time for idiots and drunks on our Roads and I despair at the tragic, preventable massacre on the Thai roads.
    On another point Crispy, i have a younger cousin (about 60 now) my aunty was nursing her in the front eat of a car being driven by her best friend. This was in the days when there were no seat belts and baby capsules eere invented. They ran into the rear of another car and my cousin was thrown against the dash board causing serious brain injury. The guilt and devestation to the family ever since has been astounding. The wonders of modern medicine now means that more people survive but what is the quality of their life.
    crispy and TLandHim like this.

Cadet silver
    The First Tourist Visa CORRECTION.

on The first visa they arrived here in October 2013.

Cadet silver
    They arrived early in the Morning and it was bloody cold. The first word Anne uttered when we got outside the terminal was " naow' quickly followed by the kids. I still had to work on the day they arrived. I work in a one man office selling breathalysers. When I want to take leave someone has to come from our Sydney office to fill in for me. Not sure how much annual leave you guys get but in Australia we get 4 weeks per year and there are 10 public holidays.

While I was at work they slept and when I got home Anne was standing at the door with a welcome home drink. I took her shopping that night to our local supermarket. To say she was shocked was an understatement. The only words she could utter were "darling PAANG MAK" When I took her to the fresh seafood section she was speechless. She said now I know why you eat seafood when you come to Thailand.

Anne had always been thrifty. When we were working out a budget for her she pulled out a notebook where she recorded her expenditure on everything for the last 4 years.

I woke up on the Saturday morning and rolled over to cuddle up to Anne but she wasn't there. She was already up cooking breakfast for us, she was a sight to behold. She was wearing my tracksuit pants, ski parker and beanie while she was standing at the stove cooking. They only had ten days in Perth due to the kids school holiday break. We made the most of their time.

2nd day here And they were wanting to see some jing joe (kangaroo's) Contrary to the beliefs of many Americans we dont ride them down the street. The Pinnaroo lawn cemetary is not far from where I liveand there are hundreds of Kangaroo's roaming free amongst the graves. Once Anne realised it was a cemetary the word Pee was the topic of conversation. Over the next few days we visited Kings Park, Cottesloe Beach, Hillarys Boat Harbour, The Pinnacles and we found a good Pizza Restaurant that they still say is better than any they tried in Chiang Mai.

Ee had one really sunny day and I took them to a Beach near Fremantle. As i was walking back to the car I turned around and they were looking like muslim women wearing burkas. They were all covered up with their beach towels, just slits for their eyes "so we not go black skin darling"

Their time in Perth went quickly and I flew with them to Singapore where we spent a few days before they returned to Chiang Mai and I returned to Perth.

Even though it was a short trip it was good for Anne to see Australia and experience the high cost of living here. It was also good to see how she reacted to life here.
    Rivo, 1080, bacwaan and 5 others like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Picture 215.jpg
    I know that feeling OMemu
    Last edited by 1080; 4th July 2017 at 21:13.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    The two girls have adjusted to the cold in Melbourne. They are always up before me, walking around barefoot and no heater on. Good morning is normally followed with Khun Khee Niao, why don't you put the heater on.
    bacwaan and Moo Uaon like this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Cadet silver
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    Picture 215.jpg
    I know that feeling OMemu
    I'll have a crack at uploading some photo's on the weekend

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Picture 226.jpg

This from the same day, life on the hill.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Thought it was always either hot or bloody hot in Oz ....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ Fkn freezing last weekend.
    -6 where I was.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    ^ Much same in Perth last weekend, was down to 8 or lower and this week is no better. Still Early, if you relations here in Perth ever suggest coming over at this time of year, give it a miss. From November through to April is good, but June to Sept is not the best time to come.
    In work in the next suburb to where they live, and I can tell you this is one of the coldest times I have had in Australia. Is 10pm at night and have still not thawed out.
    Stillearly likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

Minus 6 is sunbathing weather here....
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast