Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: How to stay safe while in Thailand? Tips please

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^^ I, like Minder, read it twice before I ever put foot in Thai.

Traveler, there are many things you need to read and learn about a countries customs when you are going there.

For example...don't touch a Thai's head....ie don't pat a child on the top of the head as done in western culture as a sign of affection.
    It will have you in serious trouble.

Take your shoes off before entering a place, best guide for this is look to see what others are doing.

On arrival at the airport, just change enough to pay the cab and get some food or drink, the exchange rate is low at the airport, plenty of money changing booths in the towns where tourist go and better rates.

Lots of other things, just enjoy and don't worry too much if you get it wrong, Thai's expect us to be stupid and generally make allowances for us.

DON"T do DRUGS!! if you get caught you will be a very old man before you get home.
    If you have prescription drugs for medical condition, get a letter from your doctor to take with you.
    Even as simple as Codine can have you arrested..

I will PM you a list of things I have given to other newbies.

Have a great trip and be prepared to never want to go home,

Cheers,
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    never read it , obviously seen it mentioned umpteen times , tbh , apart from The Beach , all the Thailand based books I have read / started were poorly written / predictable
    I too have not read it, guess that shows in all the mistakes I made.55

Tez
    Hey where was my list

Cadet Gold
    If you are travelling alone, lie to anyone and everyone about that. You are ALWAYS in a party of others (who just happen to be elsewhere at the moment but with whom you are meeting up SHORTLY). Never become "unmissable". Or you might just end up being missed.

In Bangkok, apart from short in-town trips, don't save a few pennies in hailing a street cab rather than booking from your hotel. If going a long distance, say to the airport, you could end up anywhere or nowhere. Cabs booked by your hotel are on record of having been so, and so are safe.

NEVER leave a drink half drank while you go for a pee. Whether or not you finish it before, order a fresh one on your return. I know of three people who had their drink spiked. One who woke up in the afternoon of the next day to find he'd been robbed (but was just grateful to be alive - that one was ME). One who genuinely had friends joining HER who recognised she had been drugged when they arrived and took care of her. And one who woke up tethered in a bamboo cage alongside a whole load of others in bamboo cages, in the jungle and discovered they were all there to serve the cheap Asian organ transplant industry. He escaped and avoided being shot by chasing captors, made it to the highway where he was lucky enough to be immediately picked up by a passing vehicle. He got back to Bangkok and reported it to the police who were uninterested and then to his Embassy who were equally uninterested. He had made the double mistake of leaving his drink AND letting people know he was travelling alone (so would not be missed).

Don't go to sleep on long bus or cab journeys. Stay awake. So you can wake the driver when HE falls asleep.

Don't tell your barfine it is your last night in Thailand and then go stand on the balcony of your 7th storey hotel room (cuz what is in your pockets is the maximum she's going to receive and it's a long way down to the ground floor, from your balcony).

Other than that....... Chill out and enjoy yourself.

if only I had a dollar for every time this has happened to me...

woke up tethered in a bamboo cage alongside a whole load of others in bamboo cages, in the jungle and discovered they were all there to serve the cheap Asian organ transplant industry
    Quarky, Stillearly and Cuzzy like this.

^I always carry an extra kidney... just in case...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    ^I always carry an extra kidney... just in case...
    I carry a kidney donor card, so I can leave my kidneys after I die.

Nowhere on that card does it say "I wish to donate my kidneys to a S.E. Asian privatised medical centre".

The West doesn't have enough kidneys to deal with the demands of it.

How come Thailand can......... at a price.

It ain't Rocket-Science.

Doh!

Caged and tethered, these kidney collectors will try anything to con an unsuspecting tourist out of his organs ...

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Caged and tethered, these kidney collectors will try anything to con an unsuspecting tourist out of his organs ...
    There's only one of my organs I'd like her to transplant into her body........... and it ain't one of my kidneys.
    Mate and Tingtong like this.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Just don't forget to pack your common sense and you should be okay

and dont rent Jet-Skis
    Stay the heck away from Jet-Skis.

One hour could easily cost twice the value of your entire holiday.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyGee View Post
    If you are travelling alone, lie to anyone and everyone about that. You are ALWAYS in a party of others (who just happen to be elsewhere at the moment but with whom you are meeting up SHORTLY). Never become "unmissable". Or you might just end up being missed.

In Bangkok, apart from short in-town trips, don't save a few pennies in hailing a street cab rather than booking from your hotel. If going a long distance, say to the airport, you could end up anywhere or nowhere. Cabs booked by your hotel are on record of having been so, and so are safe.

I've hailed a 100 taxis in Bangkok
    I've never had an issue once
    crispy likes this.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I've hailed a 100 taxis in Bangkok
    I've never had an issue once
    To out of town destinations?

No police shakedowns, for instance?

I must be one unlucky fella cuz I've hailed hundreds "in-town" without issue.

But go further and it's pretty hit and miss, in my experience UNLESS I have booked it.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    To out of town destinations?

No police shakedowns, for instance?

I must be one unlucky fella cuz I've hailed hundreds "in-town" without issue.

But go further and it's pretty hit and miss, in my experience UNLESS I have booked it.
    Yeah we travel to Samut Prakan all the time

My MIL and stepson are constantly going back and forth in taxis to and from

The only issues I've have with taxis is not wanting to turn on the metres and that has been solely on Soi

And we always ask before we get in......so it's actually never really been an issue
    We just flag down the next one that will use the meter

I had an issue in Hanoi once where I saw the meter jumping
    But I was going to my hotel.....The Sofitel
    I didn't say anything until he pulled in.
    I gave him what the fare should have been......about a quarter of what the fake meter said
    Told the hotel bell boys and just walked into the hotel

In BKK we usually take Uber now......but I don't hesitate to hail a taxi if we don't use Uber

Banned
    And one who woke up tethered in a bamboo cage alongside a whole load of others in bamboo cages, in the jungle and discovered they were all there to serve the cheap Asian organ transplant industry. He escaped and avoided being shot by chasing captors, made it to the highway where he was lucky enough to be immediately picked up by a passing vehicle. He got back to Bangkok and reported it to the police who were uninterested and then to his Embassy who were equally uninterested. He had made the double mistake of leaving his drink AND letting people know he was travelling alone (so would not be missed).
    The fact that you believe this and would then repeat it to others shows like I said in the other thread

Show me one credible article or news story from Thailand (or anywhere for that matter) where they have abducted random people for illegal transplants.

I will let RakThai explain medically why this can't happen in regards to transplants like in the circumstance you give as it just doesn't work like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Yeah we travel to Samut Prakan all the time

My MIL and stepson are constantly going back and forth in taxis to and from

The only issues I've have with taxis is not wanting to turn on the metres and that has been solely on Soi

And we always ask before we get in......so it's actually never really been an issue
    We just flag down the next one that will use the meter
    Caught a lot of taxi's over the years both in an around Bangkok and suburbs as well as longer trips 2-6 hours etc.

Only issue has been them not wanting to use the meter and then trying to overquote/charge for the trip. I don't care if they use the meter or not if they quote an alright price as I know roughly how much it cost.

I have had some try it on and quote 2000baht for a 350baht trip etc, I just laugh and get another one even if they drop the price to what it should be.

But like you these days I generally use private drivers for most planned trips.

Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    The fact that you believe this and would then repeat it to others shows like I said in the other thread

Show me one credible article or news story from Thailand (or anywhere for that matter) where they have abducted random people for illegal transplants.

I will let RakThai explain medically why this can't happen in regards to transplants like in the circumstance you give as it just doesn't work like this.
    I am just disappointed you have posted a scene from that inane show... I thought you had a sense of humour at least! ..55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post

This story may be a little far-fetched, but human trafficking for the purpose of organ transplants does happen.
    Credible reference: WHO | The state of the international organ trade: a provisional picture based on integration of available information

I am actually trying to write a medical thriller with exactly this subject.. 555
    Hatari likes this.

^Are any of us in it?

^ the typical retired expat would be more likely seeking donated organs, don't know that many would have body parts of value to even the most desperate of traffickers

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    ^Are any of us in it?
    Only small parts .... 55
    Quarky and Ian Forbes like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast