The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: How to stay safe while in Thailand? Tips please

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    This story may be a little far-fetched, but human trafficking for the purpose of organ transplants does happen.
    Credible reference: WHO | The state of the international organ trade: a provisional picture based on integration of available information

I am actually trying to write a medical thriller with exactly this subject.. 555
    Only a little far fetched 555 the story does sound like it's from some badly written pulp
    fiction. 555

I agree human trafficking may occur, but as in the article you quoted it refers to people being paid for the organ and then that donor then being trafficked to a country to have to procedure done.

There is no mention of kidnapping random people to harvest their organs. Also no mention of it happening in Thailand.

It also clearly states that there are no confirmed reports on transplant organs being trafficked after their removal.

As your aware matching organs to donors is a very involved procedure, kidnapping a random person just doesn't make sense.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I am just disappointed you have posted a scene from that inane show... I thought you had a sense of humour at least! ..55
    Marc26 thinks I don't 555, not really into the show but it does have some great put-downs. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    This story may be a little far-fetched, but human trafficking for the purpose of organ transplants does happen.
    Credible reference: WHO | The state of the international organ trade: a provisional picture based on integration of available information

I am actually trying to write a medical thriller with exactly this subject.. 555
    I glossed over that part
    It's an absurd story that didn't happen......sorry

Not saying BG is lying but someone is

Waking up to being locked in a bamboo cage with a bunch of others?

Police not caring about that? That is ridiculous

I got 1k stolen from ugly ladyboys on soi 29 and the police looked into it like a triple murder case!
    And they are brushing off a story of people locked in bamboo cages????

I hope that isn't what happened to Ian... though he could ask the guards if he could open a bag of crisps...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

I got 1k stolen from ugly ladyboys on soi 29.....
    you paid over the odds AGAIN??....555
    Quarky, kaptainrob, Nomad and 1 others like this.

^Dupree got the best looking one...
    kaptainrob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    you paid over the odds AGAIN??....555
    If you saw those 3 men in a dress 1k for all 3 would be way over the odds! 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    If you saw those 3 men in a dress 1k for all 3 would be way over the odds! 555
    How much do you normally pay ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    How much do you normally pay ?
    Depends on how big their willies are.....duh

^Presumably you pay more... for less?

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    ^Presumably you pay more... for less?
    Dupree told me he pays by inch.....so I follow the expert's advice

Cadet Gold
    I glossed over that part
    It's an absurd story that didn't happen......sorry

Not saying BG is lying but someone is

Waking up to being locked in a bamboo cage with a bunch of others?

Police not caring about that? That is ridiculous

I got 1k stolen from ugly ladyboys on soi 29 and the police looked into it like a triple murder case!
    And they are brushing off a story of people locked in bamboo cages????
    No lies for my part, Marc – although it is not beyond the realms of possibility I was lied to by someone else. I only relate that which I was told but the young (22 year old) Australian lad in question was a very credible witness. Sober and mature for his age (would only drink water, from his own bottle which he carried everywhere or sometimes from my daughter’s glass – once she had already drank from it. He was apologetic and embarrassed by this but said he couldn’t help it). He was clearly very shaken up by his (alleged) experience and was looking forward to leaving Thailand and would have done so already, had he not met my daughter who, along with my son, had decided to join him on his trip to Laos after they had spent a couple of days with me, which had already been pre-arranged.

I had joined my son and daughter who were already in Bangkok and stayed with them on Khaosan Road (not my preferred location, ordinarily).

The lad was very reluctant to even talk about it, never mind advertise what had happened to him, except he had befriended my daughter and had told her, in confidence. She asked him if she could tell me (her dad) and her brother – to which he agreed once he had met me and knew I wouldn’t embarrass him (he had already met my son of course, but neither he nor my daughter had told even him, up to then). He had also only told one of his friends in Laos, who he felt he could trust to keep quiet about it. He had not told his folks back home, as he did not want to worry them.

He was fearful that if he made a scene, he might “disappear”.

IF True (and his relating of events certainly appeared to be honest) he was on a world travel trip, mainly solo but sometimes meeting up with friends who were also travelling. He was in Goa and they were in Laos and he arranged to meet up with them but decided to visit Khaosan Road, for a few days during his Bangkok stopover. He stashed his bag in his hotel room and went to a bar. He got talking with some folks, including Thais and told them he was travelling alone and woke up, groggy as heck, in a cage yet could even remember the drink which “did for him”, he having barely started on his third bottle of San Miguel (which he didn’t buy, interestingly, but which had been presented to him as having been bought by one of those who had befriended him). He suspected nothing (why should he?).

He was spotted as soon as he managed to work his way out of the cage and chased by guys firing guns. He ran like the wind through pretty much constant jungle, periodically hiding in deep foliage in order to catch his breath, for what seemed to be around an hour (his watch as well as his other belongings and training shoes had been taken from him but he did have on a pair of sandals which had been just outside the cage and were seemingly intended for him to wear if and when he was taken from there).

Eventually he reached a highway with almost no traffic at that hour of night but was lucky enough to arrive in perfect time to flag down a truck which took him back into Bangkok. He said the journey took just under an hour and he arrived in Bangkok at roughly 4am. Once he had recovered and collected his wits he reported it to the police who were either unconvinced with his story or otherwise motivated not to investigate it. He also reported it to his Embassy but was similarly dismissed with a “we’ll log it and look into it” but he says he could tell, by their demeanor, that that they wouldn’t.

Before he escaped, he had managed to communicate with another in an adjacent cage (the individual cages did not touch each other and looked as though they could be lifted and transported on, say, a pickup – maybe with a tarpaulin sheet thrown over it). This guy was not many years older than himself and said he didn’t know why they were there but guessed it might be an organ transplant thing as, in the next day or so, he could expect someone who appeared to be a doctor to visit him, check his health and wellbeing condition and take a blood sample from him.

That’s all I have but I’m a cynical bastard who suspects everyone and everything yet his tale rang true and my daughter said, even in Laos, he was shaken up and cut short his world tour to fly home to Australia after a few days. She said he seemed to sink ever deeper into a condition of post-traumatic stress disorder as each day passed.

He said he was going to kick up a stink once he got back home to try and help those other captives to be freed. But that’s pretty much the last we heard of him. He very noticeably began stopping his, previously lively, Facebook account activity and they lost touch after a few brief exchanges, once he had left.

She came back to spend time with me and my lad went off to South America, on the next stage of his own adventures.

The End............................................... ..............

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyGee View Post
    No lies for my part, Marc – although it is not beyond the realms of possibility I was lied to by someone else. I only relate that which I was told but the young (22 year old) Australian lad in question was a very credible witness. Sober and mature for his age (would only drink water, from his own bottle which he carried everywhere or sometimes from my daughter’s glass – once she had already drank from it. He was apologetic and embarrassed by this but said he couldn’t help it). He was clearly very shaken up by his (alleged) experience and was looking forward to leaving Thailand and would have done so already, had he not met my daughter who, along with my son, had decided to join him on his trip to Laos after they had spent a couple of days with me, which had already been pre-arranged.

I had joined my son and daughter who were already in Bangkok and stayed with them on Khaosan Road (not my preferred location, ordinarily).

The lad was very reluctant to even talk about it, never mind advertise what had happened to him, except he had befriended my daughter and had told her, in confidence. She asked him if she could tell me (her dad) and her brother – to which he agreed once he had met me and knew I wouldn’t embarrass him (he had already met my son of course, but neither he nor my daughter had told even him, up to then). He had also only told one of his friends in Laos, who he felt he could trust to keep quiet about it. He had not told his folks back home, as he did not want to worry them.

He was fearful that if he made a scene, he might “disappear”.

IF True (and his relating of events certainly appeared to be honest) he was on a world travel trip, mainly solo but sometimes meeting up with friends who were also travelling. He was in Goa and they were in Laos and he arranged to meet up with them but decided to visit Khaosan Road, for a few days during his Bangkok stopover. He stashed his bag in his hotel room and went to a bar. He got talking with some folks, including Thais and told them he was travelling alone and woke up, groggy as heck, in a cage yet could even remember the drink which “did for him”, he having barely started on his third bottle of San Miguel (which he didn’t buy, interestingly, but which had been presented to him as having been bought by one of those who had befriended him). He suspected nothing (why should he?).

He was spotted as soon as he managed to work his way out of the cage and chased by guys firing guns. He ran like the wind through pretty much constant jungle, periodically hiding in deep foliage in order to catch his breath, for what seemed to be around an hour (his watch as well as his other belongings and training shoes had been taken from him but he did have on a pair of sandals which had been just outside the cage and were seemingly intended for him to wear if and when he was taken from there).

Eventually he reached a highway with almost no traffic at that hour of night but was lucky enough to arrive in perfect time to flag down a truck which took him back into Bangkok. He said the journey took just under an hour and he arrived in Bangkok at roughly 4am. Once he had recovered and collected his wits he reported it to the police who were either unconvinced with his story or otherwise motivated not to investigate it. He also reported it to his Embassy but was similarly dismissed with a “we’ll log it and look into it” but he says he could tell, by their demeanor, that that they wouldn’t.

Before he escaped, he had managed to communicate with another in an adjacent cage (the individual cages did not touch each other and looked as though they could be lifted and transported on, say, a pickup – maybe with a tarpaulin sheet thrown over it). This guy was not many years older than himself and said he didn’t know why they were there but guessed it might be an organ transplant thing as, in the next day or so, he could expect someone who appeared to be a doctor to visit him, check his health and wellbeing condition and take a blood sample from him.

That’s all I have but I’m a cynical bastard who suspects everyone and everything yet his tale rang true and my daughter said, even in Laos, he was shaken up and cut short his world tour to fly home to Australia after a few days. She said he seemed to sink ever deeper into a condition of post-traumatic stress disorder as each day passed.

He said he was going to kick up a stink once he got back home to try and help those other captives to be freed. But that’s pretty much the last we heard of him. He very noticeably began stopping his, previously lively, Facebook account activity and they lost touch after a few brief exchanges, once he had left.

She came back to spend time with me and my lad went off to South America, on the next stage of his own adventures.

The End............................................... ..............
    Yeah I think you were lied to, IMO

Although I wouldn't put it past happening in South America!

I really enjoy Latin America and I identify with the culture better than Asia
    You certainly appreciate your feeling of safety in Asia

Platinum
    With regard to the losing kidneys I kind of have to call bs. I was spiked only once in Thailand and it was actually in a non p4p area. I decided I was sick of the bs and wanted a normal night. Had 2 or 3 drinks and woke up back in my room with my wallet completely fleeced.

My mate absolutely refuses to come to Thailand because he is convinced he will get locked up for life. Can’t say too much but after two or three drinks he has a yearning for the marching powder and has read all the books and horror stories. The reason I bring this up is he has actually lost his kidney in a fight.

With regards to staying safe, I told the story before about the guy in mai Thai bar being put in a black plastic bag and beaten to an inch of his life for refusing to pay his tab. I also saw two black guys staying in summer breeze being swindled for 10 thousand dollars for a fake jet ski scam. Police got involved and got it down to 5k but was disgusting.

I have seen some disgusting things there and some I can’t even mention for obvious reasons. I have lived in Colombia for 6 months and that place is way safer than Los. But I love Los as long as you are careful. Bit of a strange thing to say but it’s true.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorius View Post
    With regard to the losing kidneys I kind of have to call bs. I was spiked only once in Thailand and it was actually in a non p4p area. I decided I was sick of the bs and wanted a normal night. Had 2 or 3 drinks and woke up back in my room with my wallet completely fleeced.

My mate absolutely refuses to come to Thailand because he is convinced he will get locked up for life. Can’t say too much but after two or three drinks he has a yearning for the marching powder and has read all the books and horror stories. The reason I bring this up is he has actually lost his kidney in a fight.

With regards to staying safe, I told the story before about the guy in mai Thai bar being put in a black plastic bag and beaten to an inch of his life for refusing to pay his tab. I also saw two black guys staying in summer breeze being swindled for 10 thousand dollars for a fake jet ski scam. Police got involved and got it down to 5k but was disgusting.

I have seen some disgusting things there and some I can’t even mention for obvious reasons. I have lived in Colombia for 6 months and that place is way safer than Los. But I love Los as long as you are careful. Bit of a strange thing to say but it’s true.
    Bang on with the Jet Ski scams. Only a complete idiot would hire one and risk those odds.

As for getting spiked, happened to me in a Walking Street disco, si,ialr story to yours.

Same as you, I had my heavy wallet emptied but woke up, fully clothed and safe in my own hotel room. The girl even hung around and woke me briefly at around 8am. I assume she stayed with me to make sure I didn't choke on my own vomit, whilst I slept, I guess. Bless her.

Platinum
    Bang on with the Jet Ski scams. Only a complete idiot would hire one and risk those odds.

As for getting spiked, happened to me in a Walking Street disco, si,ialr story to yours.

Same as you, I had my heavy wallet emptied but woke up, fully clothed and safe in my own hotel room. The girl even hung around and woke me briefly at around 8am. I assume she stayed with me to make sure I didn't choke on my own vomit, whilst I slept, I guess. Bless her.
    I can honestly say that Thailand is one of the safest places I have ever been to. Certainly way safer than going out in Dublin which I refuse to do. When you think about it bringing someone back to your room could end up bad but never has for me.

The urban legends about kidneys have never happened and more likely to happen in Europe. The jet ski scams definitely happen and I was on the beach when the poor 70 year old Aussie guy slipped from the parasail and landed in the sea and die. Rumor is that his Thai wife paid for it for life insurance.

I have also seen first hand Europeans going to jail because they bought stuff and the people they bought it from get more money from the police. But that is their fault. They have been warned about dangers. I also have seen first hand about people being swindled by their girl friends but again see above. You have to remember that guys have been signed off for committing suicide after over 20 stab wounds in their back. It is a safe country per se but very dangerous. Just look at the murders in Kho Tao.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    It's generally safe for tourists but there's no denying there is a dark underbelly which I think people really only see the more they come here and live here.

Poster above has alluded to Koh Tao but there have been other similar incidents over the years in which the way police handled those investigations.e.g Kirsty Jones in Chiang Mai. Also putting foreigners out of the equation look at how they sometimes treat each other. 20 on 1 fights, complete lack of road responsibility plus corruption seemingly at that highest level.

Safety is a relative word so it depends on what context you are asking the question. I feel safe (at this moment aside from eating 555) but I know there's a line with Thais you can't cross else things can get dodgy.

Cadet Gold
    Just look at the murders in Kho Tao.
    Which the British government refuse to pursue as it could harm trade and/or defence interests between the two nations.

We are all expendable.

I still stand by my advice about lying about not travelling alone. If appears you are likely to be missed....... you are less likely to end up being missed, I reckon.

I remember being alone, late in a bar in a somewhat insalubrious area of France having been conducting business that day.

The bar was part of the small hotel I was staying in.

A French (Morrocan looking )guy befriended me, speaking near perfect English. He was ultra friendly to the point that an alarm bell rang in my head. When he asked why I was alone, I told him my two colleagues were freshening up and joining me shortly. Upon which, he backed off somewhat. He had clearly been trying to find out if I was alone. I then excused myself for a toilet break and on my way back, the French barmaid passed me and said "Be careful, monsieur. He is a bad man. A dangerous man."

My suspicion had been correct. I paid my bill, retired for the night, wedged a chair under the door handle of the room and watched a John Wayne movie on TV. Quite surreal to see Big Leggie, dubbed into French - LOL.

Never let strangers know you are alone, in a foreign land.
    Ian Forbes and TLandHim like this.

Platinum
    Which the British government refuse to pursue as it could harm trade and/or defence interests between the two nations.

We are all expendable.

I still stand by my advice about lying about not travelling alone. If appears you are likely to be missed....... you are less likely to end up being missed, I reckon.

I remember being alone, late in a bar in a somewhat insalubrious area of France having been conducting business that day.

The bar was part of the small hotel I was staying in.

A French (Morrocan looking )guy befriended me, speaking near perfect English. He was ultra friendly to the point that an alarm bell rang in my head. When he asked why I was alone, I told him my two colleagues were freshening up and joining me shortly. Upon which, he backed off somewhat. He had clearly been trying to find out if I was alone. I then excused myself for a toilet break and on my way back, the French barmaid passed me and said "Be careful, monsieur. He is a bad man. A dangerous man."

My suspicion had been correct. I paid my bill, retired for the night, wedged a chair under the door handle of the room and watched a John Wayne movie on TV. Quite surreal to see Big Leggie, dubbed into French - LOL.

Never let strangers know you are alone, in a foreign land.
    But what you say is just advice for any country. I don’t believe anyone ended up in bamboo cages. Kidneys taken is another disbelief from me. Some people know my luck when traveling abroad I.e being kidnapped but I’m still alive to tell the tale. Everyone should have common sense and try and be safe. But Thailand is generally a safe place.

Cadet Gold
    But what you say is just advice for any country. I don’t believe anyone ended up in bamboo cages. Kidneys taken is another disbelief from me. Some people know my luck when traveling abroad I.e being kidnapped but I’m still alive to tell the tale. Everyone should have common sense and try and be safe. But Thailand is generally a safe place.
    Agreed. But the OP asked for advice. I offered mine. He's not obliged to adhere to it.

Sometimes the most dangerous of people in Thailand are our own "kind". There's plenty of falangs to beware of, here.

But I know from experience you can be drugged and robbed (cuz it happened to me). That wasn't a falang.

I know from my daughter's experience you can be drugged for "other" reasons (cuz it happened to her, but she was saved by her friends). Falang or Thai? We'll never know.

I know that far, far too many falangs end up at the foot of high-rise apartments/hotel complexes - almost INVARIABLY (coincidentally/conveniently?) on their last night in Thailand. The Pattaya Blues ain't THAT fkn bad, surely?! Mine don't kick in until the ignition key of the cab taking me to the airport has been turned.

Everywhere is safe if you're careful.

Nowhere is safe, if you're careless.

But everywhere has its own unique little foibles of risk, in addition to those which are ubiquitous.

I think this Thread is proving to be quite informative, to a Newbie.

Who would have foreseen the Jet Ski scam?

Who wouldn't take the air on his balcony to savour, for the last time (quite literally) the atmosphere with a beautiful, young, innocent creature standing at his shoulder?

LOL

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast