The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: How to stay safe while in Thailand? Tips please

How to stay safe while in Thailand? Tips please

Iím travelling to Thailand in three weeks for a romance tour. Iíve heard friends giving me warnings to take care of myself while staying there. They said itís a nice place but itís still my first time visiting Asia so I should be careful. Now, I need tips on how to stay safe while in the country.

Are there particular things that I should be aware of? What are the common negative things that happen to tourists there that I might encounter? I need to know this ahead because I donít want something bad to happen to me while in there.

Iíve already read some blogs and other posts about their experience. It was a mix of good and bad reviews. I need other details though that I have to keep in mind. Is there any guide someone can recommend to me? I need more information. I only have three weeks left to prepare.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Traveler.

If you give us your itinerary. We could be more specific on which regional dangers you may fall prey to...🤓

Sent from my SM-J327U using Tapatalk
    Cuzzy likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

You appear to be a youngish American, so be careful around other foreigners, especially in tourist areas such a Pattaya or Patong, and at night-time venues. Foreign criminals often target the unwary traveller by offering what appears 'helpful' advice. Russians, Middle Eastern and Korean gangs are known to operate in Thailand.

Otherwise, enjoy the experience and you'll find the Thai people are simply lovely .... especially if you show respect for their customs.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Stay away from bar girls
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    You appear to be a youngish American, so be careful around other foreigners, especially in tourist areas such a Pattaya or Patong, and at night-time venues. Foreign criminals often target the unwary traveller by offering what appears 'helpful' advice. Russians, Middle Eastern and Korean gangs are known to operate in Thailand.

Otherwise, enjoy the experience and you'll find the Thai people are simply lovely .... especially if you show respect for their customs.
    Alright, this is really helpful advice, thanks!

Tez
    Where are you headed. Are you traveling alone. Romance or nightlife are very different experiences in Thailand so be sure what you are looking for Should you meet one Don't buy a girl shoes handbags clothes etc . Every girl has a sob story well rehearsed especially by the pros. Never forget you are a source of income to the women in bars if that's where you are headed, especially on your first visits. Its your first time there so DoN't fall in love LusT is ok he he. I liked this book thailandfever.com/book_reviews.html Normal working Thai women are pretty dam cool to chill with I met a few from language sites and still chat with them . Just say Maybe a lot Never promise unless you mean it. ahh crap Now I want to return even more ... Learn a few words Don't forget the other tourists are on holiday and quite available too.... Have fun have fun have fun oh and No riding Elephants !!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Make sure you have appropriate insurance.

International Driver Permit.

Don't ride or drive outside your own country driver license conditions.

Don't get into an argument with a Thai.. there'll be 6 of them before you know what hit you.

If it doesn't look safe it probably isn't.

Smile, be polite and don't dress like a beach bum unless you are close to the beach 555.

Thai people are cool. Understanding and forgiving but there are rat bags just like at home.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    First question, just what's a "romance tour" ?

A very polite euphemism for what many a foreigner does crawling bar-to-bar in Pattaya?

An organised shag-fest?

Or something more sophisticated?

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Butt wait there's more ... no harm in posting same request on other forums (Lonely Planet, Trip Advisor, Thai Visa, Grasscity) and the Teakdoor crew put some effort into their responses ... some here:

Do you mean a shagging prostitute tour?
    Don't shag ladyboys, don't wear gold chains, wear a condom. Keep excess cash in your room safe
    Hire a motorbike
    Hang out with the wankers in walking street
    Be very vigilant while crossing the road
    Double check both sides twenty times before embarking
    Avoid all foreigners here, especially Africans they are bigger kunts than Thais
    Her brother/uncle is her husband
    The family sold their last buffalo in about 1985
    No one in the family is actually sick
    Learn Muay Thai, in case you need to use it
    Never join a group of Thais drinking whisky no matter how friendly or how good their English is

If you go with a ladyboy, don't change ends at half time
    Last edited by Hatari; 23rd January 2018 at 18:34.
    Distantpeak, Minder and OZZYGUY like this.

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    My mate has just come back from touring SE Asia and he loved it... he said as long as you stay away from the local women and just shag tourists you can't go wrong... sage advice... he made sure he avoided the following danger areas...

Pattaya
    Patong
    Soi Cowboy (Bangkok)
    Nana (Bangkok)
    Patpong (Bangkok)
    Hua Hin
    Chanweng (Samui)

Avoid those dens of depravity and you tend to avoid the scammers and criminals too... I've been told there is plenty to see in Thailand besides these areas...
    Hatari likes this.
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    My mate has just come back from touring SE Asia and he loved it... he said as long as you stay away from the local women and just shag tourists you can't go wrong... sage advice... he made sure he avoided the following danger areas...

Pattaya
    Patong
    Soi Cowboy (Bangkok)
    Nana (Bangkok)
    Patpong (Bangkok)
    Hua Hin
    Chanweng (Samui)

Avoid those dens of depravity and you tend to avoid the scammers and criminals too... I've been told there is plenty to see in Thailand besides these areas...
    Your mate could've saved an airfare and hotels, stayed at home.
    Of course, we all know you're taking the piss, DP. 555
    Distantpeak likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    TBH it's mostly applying your own common sense..if it feels like its a bit dodgey it probably is...

stay relatively sober...get a wingman who knows what the biz is...and enjoy yourself

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Welcome Traveler, You have made the right step by posting and asking questions before leaving.

I assume a romance tour is a find a wife tour not a shag tour? Although it could end that way.

If it is a wife tour read lots of stuff about relationships and Thai culture. Check out the relationship section here not sure if you need more posts for that section.

Also google the scams and start to try understand them.

Becarful dont jump in to fast.

Ask questions here and other places from guys that are expirenced.

Try before you buy.

If its not a wife tour and in fact a shag tour being your first time in Thailand please stick around and post a report with photos.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Just don't forget to pack your common sense and you should be okay

and dont rent Jet-Skis
    Distantpeak and BunnyGee like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Maybe post one of those LB test quizzes with the pictures and all to help traveller out as well ..555

WTB trav and enjoy yr trip. If u are under 25 DP's advice about shagging other travellers is spot on, at least that's what my two sons told me on their recent trip to Los was all about
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Times have changed if we have this many responses to such a question and no-one mentions Private Dancer ...

private-dancer-stephen-leather.jpg

Download for free here ....
    http://www.e-reading.club/bookreader...ate_Dancer.pdf

I read this before I ever set foot in LOS on my first ROMANCE TOUR (cough) 17 years or so ago .... maybe a little dated now and a little melodramatic but still worth a read ......
    Enjoy
    Heaven holds a sense of wonder and I wanted to believe...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Times have changed if we have this many responses to such a question and no-one mentions Private Dancer ...

private-dancer-stephen-leather.jpg

Download for free here ....
    http://www.e-reading.club/bookreader...ate_Dancer.pdf

I read this before I ever set foot in LOS on my first ROMANCE TOUR (cough) 17 years or so ago .... maybe a little dated now and a little melodramatic but still worth a read ......
    Enjoy
    never read it , obviously seen it mentioned umpteen times , tbh , apart from The Beach , all the Thailand based books I have read / started were poorly written / predictable

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    never read it , obviously seen it mentioned umpteen times , tbh , apart from The Beach , all the Thailand based books I have read / started were poorly written / predictable
    I think you enjoy it more once you have been a few times... else a lot of it would make no sense whatsoever.... 55

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I think you enjoy it more once you have been a few times... else a lot of it would make no sense whatsoever.... 55
    I'll wait then

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I'll wait then
    Haha.. I think you are ready... it's a fun read.. honest.... 55

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast