Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Cultural Sensitivity - Taking a girl from Surin to Cambodia

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Yes Ban Prasat ...

She was from Nong Sung ( Song ) in the map , and Phimai is there in this map as well.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailan...ban-prasat/map

"Oh and to be picky given the other thread its Khorat not Korat. As Khorat is the shortened version of Nakhon Ratchasima."
    Yes , that does seem picky ...555 ... we know that transliteration is just an approximation , or a way to convert a language with (its claimed ) 66 letters , to ours with just 26 letters.

Thai: นครราชสีมา ......Certainly theres no 'h' sounding letter in the Thai spelling ...

Wiki made me grin. It spelt the name as you suggest it is , then proceeded to refer to it as 'Korat' many times after.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakhon_Ratchasima

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Wiki made me grin.
    Yeah Wiki does that if you know about the topic.
    Last edited by phaisan; 4th February 2018 at 10:39.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Of course the other i found near my house and took some pics of was Wiang Gum Gam the original Lanna capital that got flooded when the Ping changed course and they moved to what's now the old city part of CM.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 4th February 2018 at 11:02.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    Yeah Wiki does that if you know about the topic.
    The Thai girlfriend that lived at Nong Sung always wrote 'Korat' when writing it in English .
    But she always said it as "Kor-AART" - long and stronger on the second part ..

Banned
    Yeah the locals seem to draw out the end when they say it.

Phaisan , I noticed that to.
    Lots of emphasized word endings.
    So Im glad it wasnt someting I imagined ! 555

In fact , the 'lost' word endings down here in the South really affect my receptive language.
    You speak to somebody down here who considers themselves proficient in English and they respond to the polite "Sabadee mai kup?, with something like , "Kaaarrrp ! Puud DTAI ohh ee laaww?" ( The 'DTAI" meaning South Thai ) and you're like going , "ok. ..here we go ."

The latest word Ive picked up is "yim" for 'Yee sib " ( 20 ) and Im like , "Will I ever understand the people that surround me ? "

And to top it all off , all my neighbours wives are Issan , mainly Udon ( and gentle ) women , and lately my tg 'wife' and grand daughter are exclaiming 'Baw!" and "Sep illi ".
    Bugger !

Tez
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    The one i found on the net is at Nong Han which is on the road between Udon and Sakhon Nakhon...

Ban Chiang is an archeological site in Nong Han District, Udon Thani Province, Thailand. It has been on the UNESCO world heritage list since 1992. Discovered in 1966, the site attracted enormous publicity due to its attractive red painted pottery.
    Yeah they have a museum that the late King visited Interesting little place Ban Chiang
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123