Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Cultural Sensitivity - Taking a girl from Surin to Cambodia

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Cultural Sensitivity - Taking a girl from Surin to Cambodia

In March I plan to take a girl from Surin to Cambodia with me. I've known this girl for 7 years now when I first met her on Soi 6, she's absolutely gorgeous and I fell hard for her. I asked her to go with me to Cambodia years ago, but she ended up getting a boyfriend from Korea. We fell out for a while, but over the last couple of years I would see her while in Pattaya, not exclusively, but sometimes we will still go to Moo Kata, but mostly now just short time before she starts her shift at her GoGo. We actually get on better now, probably because I am not infatuated with her anymore, even though I think she gets more beautiful every year. She knows full well I see other girls and have worked out she has spies on Soi 6, mutual friends I have drinks with, a ladyboy she used to work with and a motor bike taxi driver (who is also a big man in the mafia).

Anyway, Cambodia trip back on, I hope! Just a 3 day trip to Angkor Wat then Preah Vihear, the temple claimed by both Thailand and Cambodia, which leads to my question, 'Do Thai girls specifically from Surin and Buriram in particular identify with the ancient Khmer empire and its cultural legacy or is it completely foreign? The amazing ruins at Prasat Phnom Rung, outside Buriram, are like a mini Angkor Wat and are from the same era. Surin is also surrounded by smaller prasat, like at Sikhoraphum, remnants of that same ancient empire. When I visited Surin, I noticed behind the stage at the Tarin Daeng (Beer Hall) that there where representations of the buxom apsara/female spirits you see depicted at Angkor. So do girls from that area, many of whom also speak Khmer, see themselves as belonging to the same culture and heritage, or does that thinking end at the border?

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Bawdy; 24th January 2018 at 01:12.

Crikey... this is quite deep Bawdy... what happened to the classic Get one in the eye job?

Interested to hear what people say on this topic though... I have often wondered the same myself, but the most I can get out of them is... "I am Thai"...
    Bawdy and Cashpoint like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Buriram girls I have encountered seem very proud of their province , more so than other areas , even before they had the best football team , they were always keen to mention where in Thailand they are from.

Also showed one pics of my trip to Angkor Wat to one girl and her response was " Buriram have "
    Bawdy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    I think deep-down CJ (Surin) knows there is a possibility she has Cambodian blood line, and jokingly make comments about being Cambodian girl. However, given they have had military confrontation around the border, she is strongly Thai.

Hopefully Wabbits comments as he is even closer to the border.
    Bawdy likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

^ the bloodline comment is interesting, formal borders and border controls not 'old' in historical context, 112 years ago Trat and Chanthaburi were under French control, a temporary extension of French Indochina.

Presume there was free access each way across whatever nominal borders existing at the time.

Similarly further up the Thai Cambo border there are current Cambodian provinces that were previously in Siam

Expect some cross-pollination.

From Sa Kaeo provinces upwards there are many ancient prasats, ruins of Khmer temples, MsH likes the history, took me on a tour some date to 650AD, 400-500 years before Angkor Wat, and SdokKokThom is a mini AW on the former route from AW to Phimai in Nakhon Ratchisima, all part of the Khmer empire
    Last edited by Hatari; 24th January 2018 at 06:10. Reason: Typo on ph
    Bawdy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Crikey... this is quite deep Bawdy... what happened to the classic Get one in the eye job?

Interested to hear what people say on this topic though... I have often wondered the same myself, but the most I can get out of them is... "I am Thai"...
    555 The first girl I ever went with in Patong proudly claimed she was Loa, and she came from Khon Kaen! 555
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    she'll know a little of the language i'd guess but probably wont like any of the food there. food is a major concern with these girls when they're out of their own country or province. i'd be more concerned with that 55

as for the temples i think she'll love those 2 and the chance to see them first hand....the rest will be quite foreign and hopefully a learning experience for her.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    she'll know a little of the language i'd guess but probably wont like any of the food there. food is a major concern with these girls when they're out of their own country or province. i'd be more concerned with that 55

as for the temples i think she'll love those 2 and the chance to see them first hand....the rest will be quite foreign and hopefully a learning experience for her.
    CJ was happy with the food in Cambodia...very similar to Thai, and given Siam Reap is closer to Surin than Bangkok, that is reasonable to expect.

Whereas the verdict on Balinese food was "crap" (in normal cafes and restaurants)...totally agree...luckily they do a good job with western food. Her Thai friend told her husband that she won't go to Bali again because of the food!
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    From Sa Kaeo provinces upwards there are many ancient prasats, ruins of Khmer temples, MsH likes the history, took me on a tour some date to 650AD, 400-500 years before Angkor Wat, and SdokKokThom is a mini AW on the former route from AW to Phimai in Nakhon Ratchisima, all part of the Khmer empire
    Here we go, on Thai side Sa Kaeo/Cambodian border; my pics, borrowed text. I'm unaware of any further south than these, could be wrong but don't believe there's any Khmer remnants on the Chanthaburi or Trat borders

I'd like to see the Phimai temple area, missed my chance when MsH went to a funeral in Nakhon Ratchasima and stopped at Phimai on the way back. I'd say many Thai people have little (or no) knowledge of the history of the changing borders and shrinking Siam, don't know it would be in the general high school curriculum, depends on passing down of traditional/family history, or having an interest in history and researching.

12km south of Aranyaprathet is Prasat Khao Noi Si Chomphu (ปราสาทเขาน้อยสีชมพู). Prasat Khao Noi Si Chomphu is believed to have been a Hindu shrine, and is dated as being built in the year 637AD. Made of bricks without any use of mortar, it comprises 3 brick constructions, the northern and central Prang and the southern Wihan. Only the central one remains in quite a good condition, while only the bases of the northern and the southern ones are left.

An 11th Century Khmer temple located about 43km northeast of the Thai border town of Aranyaprathet. The temple was dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva. Constructed by a prominent priestly family, Sdok Kok Thom is best known as the original site of one of the most illuminating inscriptions left behind by the Khmer Empire, which ruled much of Southeast Asia from the end of the 9th century to the 15th century. Built of red sandstone and laterite, the temple is a prime example of a provincial seat of worship during the empire’s golden age. It is small by the standards of the major monuments in Angkor, the empire’s capital, but shares their basic design and religious symbolism.
    Last edited by Hatari; 24th January 2018 at 17:41.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    CJ was happy with the food in Cambodia...very similar to Thai, and given Siam Reap is closer to Surin than Bangkok, that is reasonable to expect.

Whereas the verdict on Balinese food was "crap" (in normal cafes and restaurants)...totally agree...luckily they do a good job with western food. Her Thai friend told her husband that she won't go to Bali again because of the food!
    most Cambo's i met didn't like spicy. been a while since i was there though. TG's (most) seem to insist on spicy every day or think they are or will be sick?
    i didn't think spicy food was overly popular there.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Phimai site is quite impressive, been about seven years or so since I was there and restoration was an ongoing thing. there is also a history museum away from the site that is well worth a visit.
    Most Thai girls I have come across have very little interest in History, could be a Buddhist thing as in the past staying in the past?

The wife is from Korat and not Burriram, very territorial some of these girls and does not like to associate with the Kampuchea people. Burriram provence is a stones throw away so I think she can put up with them.
    My mate down Chanthaburi way has a wife who believes girls from Burriram are no good. 555

Sounds like a good trip Bawdy, have a good one.
    Bawdy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    Phimai site is quite impressive, been about seven years or so since I was there and restoration was an ongoing thing. there is also a history museum away from the site that is well worth a visit.
    Most Thai girls I have come across have very little interest in History, could be a Buddhist thing as in the past staying in the past?

The wife is from Korat and not Burriram, very territorial some of these girls and does not like to associate with the Kampuchea people. Burriram provence is a stones throw away so I think she can put up with them.
    My mate down Chanthaburi way has a wife who believes girls from Burriram are no good. 555

Sounds like a good trip Bawdy, have a good one.
    that's why I like them
    1080 and Bawdy like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    yeah..at the end of the day its all about the girl and her attitude on life...same as any girl in anywhere...

I have done quite a bit of traveling with a PTTGF (part time Thai GF) in Thailand and OS...she is from Sisaket and she is a wonderful companion...always interested in what is happening around her and what each place has to offer...she also dresses and behaves immaculately wherever..it's uncanny how she get that right...

It helps that her english is very good, she is adventurous but still easy going and we share a similar sense of humour...but this gal impresses me no end whether it be in a Michelin Star Restaurant in Singapore or a hut out the back in Nakhon Nowhere...

Never met another one like her

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    But just think about how childish that is...........it's like he is married to a child

I don't really remember the Balinese food, so it definitely didn't leave much of an impression............good or bad
    And you are correct, I had some good western food

My wife is Thai food obsessed as most TG's are.........but she likes all types of food, she'd just be craving Thai food badly at the end of a trip

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post

I have always taken her and some family and friends to Moo Kata, which she loves, is there a Cambo equivalent? Luckily my hotel is near some highly recommended restaurants, will be interesting if there is similar food to that which she grew up with in Surin.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post

Never met another one like her
    Bloody newbie.... 55. You'll learn... now don't go building her a house just because she can order caviar... 55

I think his sounds like as close as you'll ever get to love....

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Bloody newbie.... 55. You'll learn... now don't go building her a house just because she can order caviar... 55

I think his sounds like as close as you'll ever get to love....
    Has her own (modest) house and newish pick-up...plus 2 boys...never asked for a dime...I've mentioned her before...she is the infants school teacher/principal...we've been friends for about 4 years now and made several holidays/trips together

I'll admit to being fond...but I can't imagine me ever giving up the bachelor life..luckily she lives so far away and has her hands full with her job and boys....555

PS..in upmarket restaurants she only ever orders a starter...and always asks first if it is OK with me...she usually picks the least expensive option on the menu...only when I cajole her into it will she have a seafood dish...she is a keeper...but just not a full time one...for me anyway...555
    Last edited by bacwaan; 25th January 2018 at 02:32.
    Quarky and Stillearly like this.

^I have never heard you talk about any woman with such affection... it's nice to know there is a girl that has this affect on you...

You're like her penguin (from the Obes video)...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    But just think about how childish that is...........it's like he is married to a child
    Not sure I would call it childish. Inflexible and certainly would be a major issue for me as I seek out different travel experiences.

However. Is it different from not wanting to visit a place again because of disappointing nightlife, beaches or beach chairs, or hotels with great pools!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Not sure I would call it childish. Inflexible and certainly would be a major issue for me as I seek out different travel experiences.

However. Is it different from not wanting to visit a place again because of disappointing nightlife, beaches or beach chairs, or hotels with great pools!
    When we travel in the US I always do some research to find good Thai places

But it's not like we have to go to them

A lot of times after a few days we might pop into one and order a bunch of takeout Ao can have in the room

I don't think I could be with someone that wouldn't try other foods But because she's not adamant that she needs Thai food I don't mind making the effort to see she gets it when she has the craving

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast