The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: thai jealousy

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyGee View Post
    I think Thai people exhibit higher levels of autism (even Aspergers) than Westerners (we are ALL autistic to a degree, incidentally. Tests have revealed that we each contain varying degrees of it and autism can as easily verge on the genius as on the incapable - a la "Rainman"). Thought I'd better get that in before anyone got the impression I was disparaging towards autistics. I'm not as I am as likely to be just as autistic (on the genius side, I'd like to think ) as you are (but maybe not so much, for your part).

But, Thais do seem to suffer from an ability to display brutal honesty (when it suits them).

As in, they are quick to point out the spot on your face or your waistline exceeding your chest measurement or your scalp becoming more apparent through your once luxurious head-hair. They do so quite casually (or do they?) and without malice (or is it?).

And despite having been in awe of you all evening (purely because you are a Farang) and begging you to perform a karaoke turn, once you have finished singing "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" with gusto, far from the applause you had expected, you are unlikely to even have your turn acknowledged (unless you happen to be Tom Jones) and if so, in a clearly patronising fashion.

As a result, I'm not sure I agree with the claim that Thai people have an innate ability to laugh at themselves, quite the contrary considering the value they place upon retaining "face". If they happen to be "laughing at themself", you can bet their brain is thinking "Best served cold. Oh yes, it will be so much sweeter to see it served up to you when you think it has been forgotten. Best served cold".

ALWAYS look a gift horse in the mouth (or prepare yourself for a crippling vets bill).
    You've touched on something I have said often

I do think there is some maliciousness I'm their joking with farangs
    I think it is there way of bringing you down to their level, of sorts

BUT, and Chob has had good observations about all this, they do have the ability to pick out a flaw and make it endearing
    Almost like to squash the elephant in the room kid of thing

But it also seems to be an Asian thing
    I was watching a travel food show about Chengdu China
    One of their famous dishes is Mapo Tofu
    Mapo means something like "pock face" and Mapo Tofu is named after the lady who made it famous because she had a pock face with bad skin

As for laughing at themselves
    My wife and I certainly don't have a perfect marriage. One of the best aspects is we can both make fun of each other and we both laugh at that.
    And when we are out in a group of Thais it is spent much like when I am out with friends in Boston.....taking the piss and laughing at each other

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

BUT, and Chob has had good observations about all this, they do have the ability to pick out a flaw and make it endearing
    Almost like to squash the elephant in the room kid of thing

But it also seems to be an Asian thing
    I was watching a travel food show about Chengdu China
    One of their famous dishes is Mapo Tofu
    Mapo means something like "pock face" and Mapo Tofu is named after the lady who made it famous because she had a pock face with bad skin

As for laughing at themselves
    My wife and I certainly don't have a perfect marriage. One of the best aspects is we can both make fun of each other and we both laugh at that.
    And when we are out in a group of Thais it is spent much like when I am out with friends in Boston.....taking the piss and laughing at each other
    I think you'll find they're racist.

As for fun and games taking the piss out of each other, be careful. It can get stern and serious in the blink of an eye and for what? - You'll probably never even know.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Your power of observation are astounding.55555
    Seriously though I am not sure how you could not notice there is a massive keeping up with the Jones thing going on at any social level.
    It comes up in conversation from time to time in our household.
    I think its says more about you and the type of people that you associate with if you find it a massive thing in your life. As many studies show preference for similarity in relationships with people that close to you. ie "like minded"

The artist formally known as Wabbits
    Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    I think its says more about you and the type of people that you associate with if you find it a massive thing in your life. As many studies show preference for similarity in relationships with people that close to you. ie "like minded"
    Who do you hang out with and what does that say?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

I completely agree with your view on the maliciousness that is often involved, easy to see if you joke back to them in the same way and see how they react.

Something else that I think you often say or imply is that most of the Thai's that westerners deal with in Thailand are the equivalent to "white trash" in America or a "Pikey/Chav/peasant" in England.

Hardly people of good manners, so why the expectation of Thai's of the same class to be any different as a whole?

If your partner or family acts in this way, I say it says a lot about them and you for being their partner.
    Last edited by phaisan; 13th February 2018 at 16:49.

Banned
    Who do you hang out with and what does that say?
    Well I don't hang out with people who are interested in what other people do or think.

I hang out with individuals who choose their own paths in life.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Farangs get attention in LOS because they are perceived to be rich,.
    I didnt get that attention in LOS so went to the Phils. Girls are much more desperate than Thais, even a guy with a face like a smashed crab and a half full wallet can pull a chic.555
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 13th February 2018 at 17:22.
    wabbits, Distantpeak and Rockitt like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I didnt get that attention in LOS so went to the Phils. Girls are much more desperate than Thais, even a guy with a face like a smashed crab and a half full wallet can pull a chic.555
    You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, smashed crab is just an acquired taste 555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, smashed crab is just an acquired taste 555
    Yeah....with som tam...55

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    It's more a soft shell crab than a smashed one Ash...555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Banned
    An as with a crab it's what's inside that counts 555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Well I don't hang out with people who are interested in what other people do or think.

I hang out with individuals who choose their own paths in life.
    Is that so you can learn how to choose your own path? Good on ya getting out of that life limiter of being dependent on others to live, more power to you.
    and can't say I ever said I was interested in dealings of Thai jealousy was but an observation.

Banned
    Is that so you can learn how to choose your own path? Good on ya getting out of that life limiter of being dependent on others to live, more power to you.
    and can't say I ever said I was interested in dealings of Thai jealousy was but an observation.
    If this is your understanding of what I said then you don't understand it.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    As with a crab phasian, you are full of crap. Scuttle off, ass clown. I for one, am over your diatribe.
    You come up with some good informative posts but you continue to express a superior intellect which you obviously do not possess.
    You lost me fella. Calm down or fuck off.

Just stop being a **** and things might even out. I could not give a flying one, dickhead.

If this is your understanding of what I said then you don't understand it.
    No I understood what you said but you don't like it when people see through you but hey deflect away much easier and less painful for sure.....Bugger and I thought you were almost on a path of self discovery forgive me my misunderstandings.

Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    As with a crab phasian, you are full of crap. Scuttle off, ass clown. I for one, am over your diatribe.
    You come up with some good informative posts but you continue to express a superior intellect which you obviously do not possess.

Just stop being a **** and things might even out. I could not give a flying one, dickhead.
    Pay him no mind mate not worth it.....all we really need to say is woftam.
    1080 likes this.

Pay him no mind mate not worth it.....all we really need to say is woftam.
    Mango!!!!!Green on the outside yellow on the inside,
    Last edited by 1080; 13th February 2018 at 22:51.
    wabbits likes this.

Cadet Gold

I put him on "Ignore" within about 24 hours of subscribing (and he's still the only one on that list). Everytime I see his name, I see this: KimLonely.jpg
    wabbits and Zablive like this.

Haha5555 cool

Banned

You should be more careful when you use an analogy and pay attention to the context that it is being used in in the discussion, but maybe I am wrong, maybe you do think Ozzyguy is full of crap.555

I love the way you think you can tell people what to do, how to act, placing your values onto others, it says a lot about you. How does that work out for you in day to day life?

I can see why you get so worked up when it doesn't work with some people it must be hard for you to deal with, no wonder the need to lash out profanity.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast