Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Bit of a strange question

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Bit of a strange question

I have been talking to Noy recently about a few different thing but one thing that can always start a fight is if I mention getting my back tattooed. As some might know I have a few tatts and plan on getting a few more. I have always wanted a full back piece and when I mentioned that to Noy she told me straight out, "You not get tattoo on back" and was VERY against that whole thing. She said I can get tattooed anywhere but not my back. Is this a Thai cultural thing or do you think it is just her opinion?

She has a tattoo on her lower back (which I got for her as a gift) and to her there is nothing wrong with her having it. I guess I am just curious to know where she is coming from with the whole thing. I understand the head and neck are very sacred parts of the body but is thta back included in that?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I know that's where they get their spiritual tatts done.... maybe the reason... did you ask her?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I did ask her and she just kept saying "you not get tattoo on back" I did mention about the Traditional Buddhist tattoos and she said that was ok but had to go to a monk to get it done. These type tattoos are meant to be above the waist, not just on the back even though this is a popular place for them

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    My GP (Doctor) happens to be a Thai lady. She is my parents next door neighbor as well. Has warned me more about Tatts than anything else in Thailand. She has 4 clients that do have Hep "C" from tatts. 3 of which are Thai Nationals. Not to scare but be aware.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    My GP (Doctor) happens to be a Thai lady. She is my parents next door neighbor as well. Has warned me more about Tatts than anything else in Thailand. She has 4 clients that do have Hep "C" from tatts. 3 of which are Thai Nationals. Not to scare but be aware.
    This is a common thing of the past.... It is even an official warning on the American Safe Travel website.. You will find these days that most of the tattoo parlors in LOS are aware of the bad reputation they have, they have adopted safe working practices on a par to Australia and most western countries....
    I would not recommend getting a traditional Tattoo done with bamboo as you will be taking a risk!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I concur mate. The past. I would still tarp up if I would go with a new girl as a precaution. Here there every where. The same for the tatts but no tarp. Having said that, some of the best art work that I have seen has been in Thailand. Bamboo, no I think I have already paid some uncles hospital bills for this affliction. Jest 5555555555555

Thai-Spy
    The health issue is paramount. A tattoo studio should either have a working autoclave to sterilize needles or use disposables, and never re-use vials of ink between customers.

Most of the guys who do Thai "religious" tattoos aren't technically "monks" and as far as professional titles go it's closer to the Thai custom of giving astrologers the honorific "Doctor". The majority aren't actually ordained at all, and the tattooing is far more animistic than Buddhist.

One tries not to be overly harsh or judgmental when dealing with other people's belief system, but if someone devoutly believes in the voodoo it's hard to see them being just as concerned with proper sanitary practice.